DO Should I even try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j.s.o.f.l.y.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already submitted my AACOMAS applications. I took my first MCAT and got a 23. Bummer. Then I took it again thinking I would do much better. I got a 24. I am beyond frustrated. I'm in a dilemma- should I continue with the application process, try the test once more and apply next cycle, or start looking at other options? cGPA is 3.52, science GPA 3.48 and nonscience 3.84. I don't believe that my extracurriculars are fantastic enough to pull enough weight to compensate for my low MCAT score.
I have 500 hours of research, 90 hours volunteering, and only 10 hours shadowing (I am currently shadowing now).

Can anybody give me some advice? My MCAT score is nowhere near the averages for DO schools. Please help!! Anybody!! If I should apply next cycle, what are some things I can look into to strengthen my application? I have already graduated so taking more classes is not an option for me. Thanks so much for all your responses. Negative posts are not helpful, but I welcome constructive criticisms.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine if you apply broadly, but the schools with high MCAT averages are not realistic.

Try these schools: ACOM, all 3 VCOM campuses (unless you're out of the region), ACOM, CUSOM, LMU-DCOM, PCOM-GA, PNWU (if in area), SOMA, WCU, KYCOM and LECOM-E (sort of reach).

I'm a Georgia resident, so I was looking at PCOM. Their average MCAT score is a 28 though, so that makes me doubtful.. Thank you @AlbinoHawk DO for your suggestions, I was feeling pretty crummy earlier but now I don't feel like it is completely over.

I'm a Georgia resident, so I was looking at PCOM. Their average MCAT score is a 28 though, so that makes me doubtful.. Thank you @AlbinoHawk DO for your suggestions, I was feeling pretty crummy earlier but now I don't feel like it is completely over.
You have to remember that it's an average, and your GPA is strong for the school. You shouldn't discount them.

Reactions: 1 user