Should I Exclude My Startup from My Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loliswirl

Reaction score
We’ve been making a lot of progress and I am a founder of the startup (for profit). We’re doing services related to public health. I read through some past posts and have seen people discouraging others from pursuing that route so I don’t know whether putting that on my application will be a negative thing. What do you all say?

Members don't see this ad.

You should most definitely put it.

Reactions: 5 users
We’ve been making a lot of progress and I am a founder of the startup (for profit). We’re doing services related to public health. I read through some past posts and have seen people discouraging others from pursuing that route so I don’t know whether putting that on my application will be a negative thing. What do you all say?
I'll bite! What's "a lot of progress"? What's your level of involvement? Why are you applying now?

Yes, if you are seeking affirmation that making a lot of progress in a for-profit startup you founded that is receiving attention from impressive accelerators is impressive, here it is, just the last time you made a similar post in February.

In fact, it's so impressive, assuming you aren't trolling, that it very well might cause adcoms to question either the level of your involvement in the startup, or the level of your commitment to being a med student, at least right now. They both seem to me like extremely time consuming endeavors, although, TBH, I have no first hand experience with either. JMHO. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely put it. I am a co-founder of a VC-backed tech start-up (for profit) that was completely not medicine related, and I included it in my application. It ended up becoming a big talking point in interviews.

One thing to be conscious of is to make it clear that you are willing to commit to being a med student. I mentioned the start-up in my activities section and I actually had the start-up as one of my main three experiences. This gave me plenty of words/space to talk about it, so I mentioned how it taught me a lot of skills that I can use in a clinical and professional setting, but that I have begun the process of removing myself from the day-to-day workings of the company as I commit to medicine.

I'll bite! What's "a lot of progress"? What's your level of involvement? Why are you applying now?

Yes, if you are seeking affirmation that making a lot of progress in a for-profit startup you founded that is receiving attention from impressive accelerators is impressive, here it is, just the last time you made a similar post in February.

In fact, it's so impressive, assuming you aren't trolling, that it very well might cause adcoms to question either the level of your involvement in the startup, or the level of your commitment to being a med student, at least right now. They both seem to me like extremely time consuming endeavors, although, TBH, I have no first hand experience with either. JMHO. Good luck.

The previous post was asking whether I should apply this upcoming cycle with my extracurriculars because I didn’t feel confident enough about the clinical experience and non clinical volunteering parts. This post was made because someone asked me something along the lines of what you said so I’m considering taking it out.

No, I’m not seeking attention. I don’t need people to affirm my worth. I also like to think that I have more important things to do than troll the internet.

I saw that there were past posts that question the student’s commitment to Med school because they’re involved in a startup and I’m sure that some adcoms will think about the same thing like what you’re saying.

Last edited:
I would definitely put it. I am a co-founder of a VC-backed tech start-up (for profit) that was completely not medicine related, and I included it in my application. It ended up becoming a big talking point in interviews.

One thing to be conscious of is to make it clear that you are willing to commit to being a med student. I mentioned the start-up in my activities section and I actually had the start-up as one of my main three experiences. This gave me plenty of words/space to talk about it, so I mentioned how it taught me a lot of skills that I can use in a clinical and professional setting, but that I have begun the process of removing myself from the day-to-day workings of the company as I commit to medicine.
Thank you! This is super helpful. Can I message you for more advice if that’s okay?

To piggyback on the topic, what about starting a startup that got a lot of positive attention early on but failed (half because of pandemic shutting down our lab, half because I am a scientist not a businessman)? I am thinking of this as my challenge/feedback essay, but not sure whether to include the start-up portion in the Work and activities or just leave it as a research section not diving into the business.

should help definitely with schools that value leadership (HMS, Stanford etc..) provided you have stats to match.

To piggyback on the topic, what about starting a startup that got a lot of positive attention early on but failed (half because of pandemic shutting down our lab, half because I am a scientist not a businessman)? I am thinking of this as my challenge/feedback essay, but not sure whether to include the start-up portion in the Work and activities or just leave it as a research section not diving into the business.
Haha I can offer some insight to this question as well. I had a promising non-profit that ultimately failed/didn't come to fruition. I talked about it in some of my secondaries but did not mention it as it's own activity in my primary application. It didn't come up in any interviews but I feel like it is a great option for 'tell me a time you failed' and 'challenge' essays if you can expand on what you learned from that failure.

Reactions: 2 users
Put it in

Reactions: 1 users
should help definitely with schools that value leadership (HMS, Stanford etc..) provided you have stats to match.
I don’t think that I do. I’m aiming for mid tier and low tier. That’s why I was concerned because it sounds like they value community service more and look down on lots of startup/research experience.

I don’t think that I do. I’m aiming for mid tier and low tier. That’s why I was concerned because it sounds like they value community service more and look down on lots of startup/research experience.
I doubt that they will look down unless you indicate that's your intent post medical school. May be the experience you gained is useful to improve community hospitals?

Obviously it depends what you say about the experience, but the initiative, leadership, problem-solving, and organizational ability revealed by successfully leading a start-up -- even for a short time -- are valued by admissions committees. Include it.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely put it. It is a unique experience you have that shows leadership, initiative, and passion. It also gives you a different perspective on medicine. It will give your application a boost!