Should I Explain Low CARS Score in Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Harrybean

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I lived in Korea from the age of 5 to 11 (lived in America before this) and when I moved back to America, I lived with a family that spoke primarily Korean. I was also in ESL all throughout high school.

Knowing that English was not my strong suit, I tried hard on my Language Arts courses in college and did pretty well on them ( 3.6 GPA average on all of my language arts/writing courses receiving A's in Philosophy, Creative Writing, History, and English).

But... I received a 123 on CARS (128/123/127/132). I was wondering if I should explain on the secondaries about my low CARS by talking about my background but also talk about my success in my writing courses to show that I am not incapable. I think it is also worth mentioning that I have a strong LOR from a Philosophy professor to perhaps help my case.