Should I explain my MCAT in the optional secondary essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefully819

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, just looking for some advice. I am filling out Tufts secondary optional essay and I'm not sure if I should use that to explain my MCATs.
MCAT 1 in March 2013: 25. I underestimated the time needed to study, was also working, classes, etc but I don't want to use excuses to explain that.
MCAT 2 in April 2014: 30 (10P/8V/12B) and took a KAPLAN class.
MCAT 3 in Jan 2015: 34(13P/8V/13B) entirely self study.

Do you think its necessary for me to explain that? Do I need to explain my verbal score? The only way I can think about approaching this is saying that I am persistent and I changed my study habits each time.

Members don't see this ad.

No, if anything you bring attention to the fact that you had a low set of first scores, and it doesn't sound like you had any truly extenuating circumstances (i.e. parent death or something like that). Your scores speak for themselves. Just hope the adcoms are in a forgiving mood for the first test.

Reactions: 1 users
Your scores are what they are. There is nothing to "explain" about them and the verbal. The explanations you listed above would just come across as excuses in essays.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts exactly as well...These adcoms are intelligent people, they are well aware of any shortcomings you may have, and I will not be adding any fuel to the fire! :p

But aside from those specific optional essays about mishaps, I have been making sure to fill out any optional essays that included in the secondaries...Miami's app ended up being a complete beast because of it, hoping it reflects well!

I wouldnt raise the issuse

Just what I always wanted to do: read a series of additional essays written by an applicant who feels they couldn't leave anything blank

The notion people have that leaving an optional essay blank is akin to not answering the bonus question to a test is one of those things that never seems to go away.

Just what I always wanted to do: read a series of additional essays written by an applicant who feels they couldn't leave anything blank

THEY HAVE SUBSTANCE TO THEM :p

Substance, in of itself, is not the issue. Do they add pertinent information that is relevant to your motivation, commitment, or achievement not discussed earlier (which it should have) or detail information or explain some other aspect of your application that you feel the committee needs to fully appreciate you and consider you as a candidate.

I would like to think so :) :)