Should I finish my bachelor's before becoming an RRT, and then a PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroDroid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to be short. My situation is the following: I've been struggling between Clinical psychology PhD and Med school. Basically, I love neuroscience/cognitive psychology in academia but don't really enjoy being a psychologist. I've always liked the medical model more than psychology. I know for a fact I want to work in a hospital (I've shadowed, volunteered, etc). About five years ago I was going to become an RRT but circumstances of life didn't allow for that. I am now reconsidering it, getting some HCE and then going for PA (would love to work in emergency medicine, critical care, or surgery). I like that PAs have the option to change specialties. And as for RRT, I'm planning on shadowing one but I'm confident I will like it.

My problem is this: I have about a year and a half left of my psychology bachelor's but I've grown to hate it so much that the thought of wasting more time on it drives me crazy. Not to mention that I'd very much like to move away from this area. I'm ready to start studying for RRT and begin my career but I know I will eventually need a bachelor's for PA.

So TL;DR should I finish my bachelor's now or go ahead and become an RRT and finish it while working?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, finish out the BS. it will give you a lot more options later. RT is great prep for PA school. I would highly encourage that route. good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
yes, finish out the BS. it will give you a lot more options later. RT is great prep for PA school. I would highly encourage that route. good luck.

Thank you!! I am planning to finish my bachelor's first. However, I was hoping I could finish by may but it seems I might actually finish in the fall semester. Which complicates things a bit cause it would mean I'll have to wait an academic year to start respiratory therapy. I'm really stressed out. I'm at a point in life where I'd like to start working and building my career already. But I know leaving with like 12 credits left to finish the bachelor's would be crazy. Sigh. The thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! I am planning to finish my bachelor's first. However, I was hoping I could finish by may but it seems I might actually finish in the fall semester. Which complicates things a bit cause it would mean I'll have to wait an academic year to start respiratory therapy. I'm really stressed out. I'm at a point in life where I'd like to start working and building my career already. But I know leaving with like 12 credits left to finish the bachelor's would be crazy. Sigh. The thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Do you have the option to start RT school and finish the bachelors after? You could work part time as well as continue taking the college classes to help keep your mind fresh for PA school basic science courses.

Do you have the option to start RT school and finish the bachelors after? You could work part time as well as continue taking the college classes to help keep your mind fresh for PA school basic science courses.

It's a possibility I'm looking into. Definitely. I'm just hoping I don't make a mistake by rushing into things you know? But yeah, I wouldn't mind studying part time while working.

I'll try to be short. My situation is the following: I've been struggling between Clinical psychology PhD and Med school. Basically, I love neuroscience/cognitive psychology in academia but don't really enjoy being a psychologist. I've always liked the medical model more than psychology. I know for a fact I want to work in a hospital (I've shadowed, volunteered, etc). About five years ago I was going to become an RRT but circumstances of life didn't allow for that. I am now reconsidering it, getting some HCE and then going for PA (would love to work in emergency medicine, critical care, or surgery). I like that PAs have the option to change specialties. And as for RRT, I'm planning on shadowing one but I'm confident I will like it.

My problem is this: I have about a year and a half left of my psychology bachelor's but I've grown to hate it so much that the thought of wasting more time on it drives me crazy. Not to mention that I'd very much like to move away from this area. I'm ready to start studying for RRT and begin my career but I know I will eventually need a bachelor's for PA.

So TL;DR should I finish my bachelor's now or go ahead and become an RRT and finish it while working?

Go for RT!

Sure, maybe I'm biased because I am one, but it's excellent HCE that can only be matched by a paramedic or nurse. So how close are you? I'd say go with the path that makes the most sense.

Do you already have your A&P, Chem I/II, Micro, and Physics? If yes than you might as well go straight for Respiratory, especially if like you say you've grown to hate psych. I mean really, why spend money/time on a degree in a field you don't like? If you're going to spend the money and the time, at least do it in something you enjoy.

On the other hand, if you don't have your science pre-req's then those are going to take you about a year and half anyway, and you could feasibly just finish your degree while getting those out of the way too.

Also if you don't mind me asking what area are you in? Are there any Respiratory Care Bachelor's programs where you're at? You could technically just kill two birds with one stone if you went that route.

Go for RT!

Sure, maybe I'm biased because I am one, but it's excellent HCE that can only be matched by a paramedic or nurse. So how close are you? I'd say go with the path that makes the most sense.

Do you already have your A&P, Chem I/II, Micro, and Physics? If yes than you might as well go straight for Respiratory, especially if like you say you've grown to hate psych. I mean really, why spend money/time on a degree in a field you don't like? If you're going to spend the money and the time, at least do it in something you enjoy.

On the other hand, if you don't have your science pre-req's then those are going to take you about a year and half anyway, and you could feasibly just finish your degree while getting those out of the way too.

Also if you don't mind me asking what area are you in? Are there any Respiratory Care Bachelor's programs where you're at? You could technically just kill two birds with one stone if you went that route.

Thanks for your help!! Would you mind it if I PM'd you? I have a feeling you could give me some great advice.