Should I get a roommate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robin-jay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was thinking about getting a roommate, as it saves probably 200-450 dollars per month. I assume that "2 bedroom" means that I still get my own isolated room within that apartment?

What do you guys recommend? My time to get a one bedroom is starting to run out and I want to make the best choice.

I've never had a roommate before (lived alone during undergrad. + grad.).

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on you, honestly. It’s a serious, big decision which could affect your performance in school. I lived alone during undergrad and decided to change it up and have roommates during grad school. Worst decision ever.

I’d recommend living alone for the first year. See how it goes and meet some new friends. Then you can decide if you’d like to live with said new friends the year after.

I definitely get what you mean about having poor roommates, but I generally see this issues come up with girls, and not so much guys.

As long as my roommate doesn't snore, I don't think there's much concern.

But I might be missing something here, so if you can think of any issues that might occur with a roommate, what would they be? If my roommate is a fellow guy med/pod student, I'm not sure I can immediately think of any problems.

When you get a "2 bedroom", are the 2 rooms pretty isolated from one another?

But I might be missing something here, so if you can think of any issues that might occur with a roommate, what would they be?
Being loud, being friends all the time, having loud music on around the clock, and just being a person hard to deal with.

I would avoid living with a roommate at all costs unless you know your roommate well and you are confident. Med school is stressful enough on it's own. I would avoid other potential sources of stress as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Being loud, being friends all the time, having loud music on around the clock, and just being a person hard to deal with.

I would avoid living with a roommate at all costs unless you know your roommate well and you are confident. Med school is stressful enough on it's own. I would avoid other potential sources of stress as much as possible.

I guess I have a hard time imagining a fellow medical school student acting loud, playing loud music, partying, and being with friends all the time,etc.

I would assume they would be as studious as me if they've been accepted. Although, maybe in Pod. school some of the people with lower stats may be worse than a typical medical school? I mean, they could have went through undergrad. partying with a 3.0 GPA and a mediocre MCAT and still be accepted.

Everything Pasha has mentioned.

I’m a female and I lived with three dudes. They were loud. They were messy. There were other numerous issues.

You want you live as stress-free as possible and be able to focus on school.

Its just that 200-450 dollars a month could be saved with living with just "one" roommate. You had 3, that sounds much harder!

I guess I have a hard time imagining a fellow medical school student acting loud, playing loud music, partying, and being with friends all the time,etc.

I would assume they would be as studious as me if they've been accepted. Although, maybe in Pod. school some of the people with lower stats may be worse than a typical medical school? I mean, they could have went through undergrad. partying with a 3.0 GPA and a mediocre MCAT and still be accepted.
If you will specifically share a place with a medical school student, that might be different.

If you will specifically share a place with a medical school student, that might be different.

you think that would make a huge difference, and therefore be an ok thing to do? It might even be helpful to ask eachother questions and study together. That's optimistic though.

you think that would make a huge difference, and therefore be an ok thing to do? It might even be helpful to ask eachother questions and study together. That's optimistic though.
Some health professions/medicine schools are interdisciplinary having PTs, PAs, PhDs, MD/DO, MS, DPMs. Unless you are DO and share a room with another DO or PA sharing rooms with another PA then you can kind of help each other academically. In any case, it is probably better to share a room with any graduate/health profession student than undergrad student.

What school are you going to?

This one really depends on the layout of the specific place.

Ok I'll ask the apartment complex tomorrow.

What school are you going to?

rather not be to open about that as of yet.

Some health professions/medicine schools are interdisciplinary having PTs, PAs, PhDs, MD/DO, MS, DPMs. Unless you are DO and share a room with another DO or PA sharing rooms with another PA then you can kind of help each other academically. In any case, it is probably better to share a room with any graduate/health profession student than undergrad student.

Yes, if I can't find a DPM roommate, then I will try and ask the apartments about getting someone in a similar field.

If they can find someone in/related to my field, then you think I should go the roommate route? (would it make a difference to you whether you have your own bedroom, isolated)?

If they can't find someone in/related to my field, then you think I should just do a singles?

Ok I'll ask the apartment complex tomorrow.

rather not be to open about that as of yet.

Yes, if I can't find a DPM roommate, then I will try and ask the apartments about getting someone in a similar field.

If they can find someone in/related to my field, then you think I should go the roommate route? (would it make a difference to you whether you have your own bedroom, isolated)?

If they can't find someone in/related to my field, then you think I should just do a singles?
If you are accepted to med school, they should have classifieds of some sort on their/your account page about people looking or offering to be a roommate.

At DMU, for example, on our portal we can see these listings. Otherwise, Craigslist maybe of some help.

If you want to save some money, why not? If you are ok with that. I would guess most single students share a place.

I have a family now, so I had to get my own place. When I was in undergrad, 1st year I shared a room in a dorm with another student. I would never ever ever do that again. Second year and third year I rented a room in a 4 bedroom house. It wasn't bad because my roommates were almost always gone day and night. Rooms were isolated and we had our own bathrooms. It was $400/mo, so it was pretty good.

I wouldn't want to share the same room for any reason. But it's just me. Sharing the same living room and kitchen is not as bad if everyone can keep it clean.

I get stressed out when my place is not clean or not in order, so for me, I would never share a room.

I hated when others had kitchen not well - cleaned and when they packed dish washer and sink and waited like a week before they washed it. I want my kitchen clean at all times when I cook and I wash my things right away.

So, it depends on your needs and preferences.

Last edited:
f you are accepted to med school, they should have classified of some sort on their/your account page about people looking or offering to be a roommate.

At DMU, for example, on our portal we can see these listings. Otherwise, Craigslist maybe of some help.

i think they mentioned this during our interview. If I decide to go the roommate route (i think I will if I have a fellow med school student), then I believe the university has a list.

When I was in undergrad, 1st year I shared a room in a dorm with another student. I would never ever ever do that again.

Yes, I believe 2 bedroom apartments are cozy enough where you have you're own isolated bedroom, so hopefully way different than a 1st year undergrad. dorm room. Those are atrocious lol.

Second year and third year I rented a room in a 4 bedroom house. It wasn't bad because my roommates were almost always gone day and night. Rooms were isolated and we had our own bathrooms. It was $400/mo, so it was pretty good.

I believe I would be paying 400-500 a month with a roommate. closer to 800-900 a month without.

I wouldn't want to share the same room for any reason. But it's just me. Sharing the same living room and kitchen is not as bad if everyone can keep it clean.

I get stressed out when my place is not clean or not in order, so for me, I would never share a room.

I hated when others had kitchen not well - cleaned and when they packed dish washer and sink and waited like a week before they washed it. I want my kitchen clean at all times when I cook and I wash my things right away.

So, it depends on your needs and preferences.

As long as I get my own isolated room (with a locked door), then i don't think sharing a dirty living room or kitchen really bothers me. Just as long as I have my own bedroom, I'm good. I plan on eating mostly at our school cafeteria, and not cooking too much on my own, maybe light dinners and weekends.

Boyo do we have a treat for you........

You would be surprised by the amount of people who end up in a medical career...with absolutely no shred of common sense or tact.

But don't take my word for it, just wait and see.

Reactions: 4 users
Boyo do we have a treat for you........

You would be surprised by the amount of people who end up in a medical career...with absolutely no shred of common sense or tact.

But don't take my word for it, just wait and see.

Well, hopefully I can beat those people out for better residency spots!

Reactions: 1 users
There's a lot of money to be saved, but there are some pretty reasonable risks. People have listed many of them - noise, dirty dishes, other people constantly over. The idea of two people helping each other is very nice - now imagine one person struggling and constantly asking you for help. My historic roommate gripe is a roommate who pays bills late - since they are irresponsible you ultimately step in and pay everything first to avoid late fees and eviction and then have to hound them about money.

The more expensive your living situation is - the more valuable they become.

Reactions: 1 users
Made an account just to reply to this. If you've never had roommates I HIGHLY suggest not starting now. You'd be surprised how irresponsible and disrespectful professional students can be. I lived in student housing for only medical professional students (alone, thankfully) and I've seen everything from domestic disputes that ended in cops being called to drunken nights straight out of freshman year of college to all of the illegal drug use you can name. You'd be surprised what these people do in their personal time and what you may be stuck living with. I agree with someone above that said stay alone first year then if you make some friends you'd want to live with, change it up after that. Good roommates are great and bad roommates can ruin your life.

Take away: I paid twice as much per month to live alone and I have never once regretted it

Reactions: 2 users
I thought you will be attending an MD school?

Stay alone, it's the best since you are in charge of everything! I would advise this atleast for the first term or the year then if you find someone that you can live with then share.

There's a lot of money to be saved, but there are some pretty reasonable risks. People have listed many of them - noise, dirty dishes, other people constantly over. The idea of two people helping each other is very nice - now imagine one person struggling and constantly asking you for help. My historic roommate gripe is a roommate who pays bills late - since they are irresponsible you ultimately step in and pay everything first to avoid late fees and eviction and then have to hound them about money.

The more expensive your living situation is - the more valuable they become.
Made an account just to reply to this. If you've never had roommates I HIGHLY suggest not starting now. You'd be surprised how irresponsible and disrespectful professional students can be. I lived in student housing for only medical professional students (alone, thankfully) and I've seen everything from domestic disputes that ended in cops being called to drunken nights straight out of freshman year of college to all of the illegal drug use you can name.

Domestic disputes? Between medical students? Like husband and wife or something?

drunken coupled with disorderly conduct, and also illegal drug use? WTF.

How are students not paying their bills, don't they have financial aid for that?

I thought you will be attending an MD school?

Stay alone, it's the best since you are in charge of everything! I would advise this atleast for the first term or the year then if you find someone that you can live with then share.

I know you guys are going to hate this, but I think I'm going to try and get a male roommate from the medical school for my first year.

If no guy medical school roommates are available, then I will live alone.

I understand the cons, but I plan on studying 10+ hours a day, doing research for the university, and going to the gym during much of my free time. I essentially just want an apartment to fall asleep in.

Domestic disputes? Between medical students? Like husband and wife or something?

drunken coupled with disorderly conduct, and also illegal drug use? WTF.

How are students not paying their bills, don't they have financial aid for that?

I know you guys are going to hate this, but I think I'm going to try and get a male roommate from the medical school for my first year.

If no guy medical school roommates are available, then I will live alone.

I understand the cons, but I plan on studying 10+ hours a day, doing research for the university, and going to the gym during much of my free time. I essentially just want an apartment to fall asleep in.

I’m gonna go ahead and agree with everyone else here. Personally, saving $300-400 a month wouldn’t be enough for me to justify having a rough/uncomfortable time with someone. There is a lot more that goes along with having a roommate whether you think you will just be falling asleep there or not.
It’s a serious decision, especially when your time is worth gold during these years.
I would much rather pay a little more to secure my sanity and to make sure im comfortable with my environment. You don’t have to worry about anyone elses habits etc.
I will luckily be moving in with my girlfriend and will save a little for a really nice place.
But if I was single, I wouldn’t think twice to live alone.
On the contrary, some people really make it work! Depends on your personality. Just make sure you take everything into consideration and really weigh it all out. At the end, it might not be worth saving that money. ‍♀️

I’m gonna go ahead and agree with everyone else here. Personally, saving $300-400 a month wouldn’t be enough for me to justify having a rough/uncomfortable time with someone. There is a lot more that goes along with having a roommate whether you think you will just be falling asleep there or not.
It’s a serious decision, especially when your time is worth gold during these years.
I would much rather pay a little more to secure my sanity and to make sure im comfortable with my environment. You don’t have to worry about anyone elses habits etc.
I will luckily be moving in with my girlfriend and will save a little for a really nice place.
But if I was single, I wouldn’t think twice to live alone.
On the contrary, some people really make it work! Depends on your personality. Just make sure you take everything into consideration and really weigh it all out. At the end, it might not be worth saving that money. ‍♀️

I see your point. I have been roommate hunting and it has been hard to find exactly what I want. I'm not sure if these students are as studious as I originally thought, as I would want an introvert quiet roommate.

4500 dollars extra in a year to live alone may be worth it. Still deciding.

It all depends on you, honestly. It’s a serious, big decision which could affect your performance in school. I lived alone during undergrad and decided to change it up and have roommates during grad school. Worst decision ever.

I’d recommend living alone for the first year. See how it goes and meet some new friends. Then you can decide if you’d like to live with said new friends the year after.
My exact thoughts. The biggest issue with me is the blow back if the roommates doesn't fit your personality/habits. You don't want any reason not to be able to focus.