This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I do?

• Just pre-requisites

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Go for the second bachelor's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kck2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that this has been a topic of conversation before, but the answers I have been looking at don't seem to fit my situation (in my opinion - I may be totally wrong, if so please point me in the right direction as I may have been looking in the wrong place).

I have wanted to be a physician since I was very young. I started my undergraduate education as your run of the mill biology major with a special track in pre-medicine. I did okay my freshman year (ending it with a 3.5 GPA), but I hit a few snags my sophomore year (multiple consecutive family deaths and starting to work close to full time as a medical scribe (including being thrown into nights)) and my GPA went down to a 2.5. I ended up changing my major at the end of my junior year to English Literature. Since my sophomore year my GPA has come back up, but only to a 3.3 (anticipating a 3.5 by the end of this final semester). I am a fifth year senior due to changing my major so late in the game and still have many pre-requisite courses to take. I have two options - only take those pre-requisite courses (orgo, biochem, one semester of physics, and statistics) or just go ahead and get a second bachelors degree in biology.

Either way, I will be taking the MCAT in the spring/early summer of 2018 after I have finished all of my pre-requisites. The options are either going to leave me with a gap year for applications, work, and extracurricular activities such as volunteering, or just applications, work, and more classes.

I am unsure which of these options to pursue, and was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on the matter. Any advise will be much appreciated!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know it was a long one! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd look into a post-bacc first. There are numerous that cater to those who have not completed any or most of the pre-reqs, and some waive the MCAT, and some guarantee admission assuming you complete with a particular minimum GPA - there is some overlap between those 2 potentials as well. Other post-baccs have linkages you could consider as well.

There are also some masters programs that are similar the the style of post-bacc, but you get a grad degree in the process, which may even better prepare you (though I believe these are for those who have all the pre-reqs - look into it though in case).

If you're unable to get into a post-bacc, I'd definitely consider another bachelors if it doesn't put much more debt on the table, and if it won't delay possibly going to med school (i.e. if you front-load prereqs to be able to take MCAT in spring/summer 2018, you wouldn't matriculate until summer 2019 at earliest, so assuming you're able to go right into it, ensure you can graduate with the 2nd degree by spring 2019 to be safe).

Reactions: 1 user
I'd look into a post-bacc first. There are numerous that cater to those who have not completed any or most of the pre-reqs, and some waive the MCAT, and some guarantee admission assuming you complete with a particular minimum GPA - there is some overlap between those 2 potentials as well. Other post-baccs have linkages you could consider as well.

There are also some masters programs that are similar the the style of post-bacc, but you get a grad degree in the process, which may even better prepare you (though I believe these are for those who have all the pre-reqs - look into it though in case).

If you're unable to get into a post-bacc, I'd definitely consider another bachelors if it doesn't put much more debt on the table, and if it won't delay possibly going to med school (i.e. if you front-load prereqs to be able to take MCAT in spring/summer 2018, you wouldn't matriculate until summer 2019 at earliest, so assuming you're able to go right into it, ensure you can graduate with the 2nd degree by spring 2019 to be safe).
Do you think I could get into a post-bacc this late in the year? Most start in August. (Also thank you for your answer!)

Members don't see this ad :)
MD: https://apps.aamc.org/postbac/#/index

DO: https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2017_post-bacc-programs.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Start doing some searches for places still taking applications, and start to complete the apps/make a few phone calls if needed. I know some will take apps as late as april, but i don't know which. I know of a program a few years ago that had guaranteed admission without MCAT requirement for 1 of their 2 post-baccs, and they didn't get enough applicants, so they extended the app deadline for 1 or 2 months.

So, to answer your question - potentially.

^ even from a 1 min look on just the DO list (since its more laid out in PDF form), I noticed 2 that have guaranteed admission if certain requirements are met. I know of at least 2 MD links as well just like that. Don't know deadlines though. Good luck!

^ even from a 1 min look on just the DO list (since its more laid out in PDF form), I noticed 2 that have guaranteed admission if certain requirements are met. I know of at least 2 MD links as well just like that. Don't know deadlines though. Good luck!
Thank you very much!