Should I get braces?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentzee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow SDNers

I never got the time to get braces, but now that I'm prepping to take the WREBs and apply for jobs (august), I don't know if I should get braces and if the malocclusion would affect my job offers.

So here are my questions:
1. Should I get braces?
2. Should I get braces now or later? (later = after I start working)
3. Would the malocclusion affect my job offers? (i.e. would you hire a dentist with malocclusion?)
4. Any advice is appreciated :)

I have a Class II Division 2 Malocclusion.

Please advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd wait until after I got a job, was a "referring doctor" and could hit up the local orthodontist for a deal (likely free) in return for potential referrals. Same with the oral surgeon assuming you'll need surgery since it's too late for growth modification. Regardless, you get the idea.

I'd wait until after I got a job, was a "referring doctor" and could hit up the local orthodontist for a deal (likely free) in return for potential referrals. Same with the oral surgeon assuming you'll need surgery since it's too late for growth modification. Regardless, you get the idea.
Yeah, makes sense. But would malocclusion not affect my job offers? (i.e. get rejected because of it?)
Never considered the "referring doctor" scenario. That sounds like a great idea!
Appreciate the prompt response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, makes sense. But would malocclusion not affect my job offers? (i.e. get rejected because of it?)
Never considered the "referring doctor" scenario. That sounds like a great idea!
Appreciate the prompt response!
I think that concern is baseless. You could have said the same about getting in to dental school. Do you seriously think the admissions committee cared?

I think that concern is baseless. You could have said the same about getting in to dental school. Do you seriously think the admissions committee cared?
:) I felt the same thing...but needed affirmation..thanks!

Ya I think this is one of those things that people may do...but seen as a no no by rule followers etc. Like giving free braces to MD kids for favors down the road. It happens so you can try it but don't expect rule followers to adhere. Don't worry about getting anything done it won't affect job offers.

Ya I think this is one of those things that people may do...but seen as a no no by rule followers etc. Like giving free braces to MD kids for favors down the road. It happens so you can try it but don't expect rule followers to adhere. Don't worry about getting anything done it won't affect job offers.

:) Thanks for answering my question!