Should I get Nursing degree, Biology degree, or none?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diligentredpharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior in college and a Certified Pharmacy Technician in the state of Texas. I started out college with the plan of becoming a nurse, but then I changed my major to biology due to being misinformed and thinking that pharmacy school required a Bachelors in Biology. During my college career, I took all the necessary prerequisites for pharmacy school. But unfortunately, I won't be able to go to pharmacy school until fall of 2017, due to the one year application process. I do plan on taking the PCAT soon, but regardless, i have to wait for fall of 2017 to start school, assuming I get accepted beforehand. Now here comes my question. Since I was both a nursing major and a biology major at different times, I do have credits relevant for both degrees. So should i go for a biology degree, a nursing degree ,or none and just wait for pharmacy school? Regardless of the degree I chose, both will take approximately 2 years to complete so I'd graduate by around fall 2018 and then go to pharmacy school. And what is worrying me is the fact that I started college on the fall of 2013, and I've recently learned that there is a 5 year rule concerning the credits achieved in college that states that after 5 years of receiving a credit, they will become invalid.

P.S. : I'm not sure if it matters but I've been employed at a pharmacy for as long as i been in college, which is 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Just throwing this out there... if you get your nursing degree, your hourly wage as a PRN nurse will far exceed that of a pharmacy intern/technician. So while in pharmacy school, you could reasonably work one shift a week and help defray the cost of pharmacy school. You would be unlikely to be able to do that with a biology degree. And when break rolls around, especially winter break, you likely could add many shifts, thus saving lots more money.

Reactions: 1 user
Just throwing this out there... if you get your nursing degree, your hourly wage as a PRN nurse will far exceed that of a pharmacy intern/technician. So while in pharmacy school, you could reasonably work one shift a week and help defray the cost of pharmacy school. You would be unlikely to be able to do that with a biology degree. And when break rolls around, especially winter break, you likely could add many shifts, thus saving lots more money.
Smart

Wanted to add one more thing. If you wanted to get in heavy on the clinical side of pharmacy, having a nursing degree (and experience doing it during pharmacy school) is definitely going to help you assess and respond.