Should I Give Up Now?.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. USC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current first-semester freshman at the University of Southern California, majoring in human biology. I just switched my major from Chemistry to Human Biology. Although I am only a freshman, I am extremely stressed about my grades and GPA already. I have never been a bad student (all A's in high school). However, for some reason, I am feeling like I am failing already. I am worried that I am going to get a low first semester GPA with a miserable science GPA. Currently, I believe I will get a C in calculus and a B+ or A- in General Chemistry. I know it is still early, but I am wondering if there is any hope. I did leave school for two weeks this semester due to a family emergency, so I know my next semester grades will definitely be better, but I am still not happy.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh no! I got an A- in Gen Chem first semester freshman year and a C in a difficult class that isn't usually a prereq for medical school! Better give up!

(obviously don't give up unless you dont actually think you can handle the stress of being a Dr. Considering its your first semester of college, I think you'll get adjusted if you give it a chance.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not a bad idea to take down the picture of you and your mom also for anonymity. For what it's worth I got a 2.8 first semester and ended up graduating with a 3.8 after working my ass off to get pretty much straight As

Reactions: 2 users
You don't need a 4.0 to get into medical school.

Reactions: 7 users
I am a current first-semester freshman at the University of Southern California, majoring in human biology. I just switched my major from Chemistry to Human Biology. Although I am only a freshman, I am extremely stressed about my grades and GPA already. I have never been a bad student (all A's in high school). However, for some reason, I am feeling like I am failing already. I am worried that I am going to get a low first semester GPA with a miserable science GPA. Currently, I believe I will get a C in calculus and a B+ or A- in General Chemistry. I know it is still early, but I am wondering if there is any hope. I did leave school for two weeks this semester due to a family emergency, so I know my next semester grades will definitely be better, but I am still not happy.

It's only a problem if you continue to get low grades. Also, something else that people don't notice until much later. A lot of people were top dog in their high school. Big fish in a small pond. You go to a decent college, all of a sudden, this might not be true anymore. You go to med school and its usually not true anymore. Whatever the case may be, there's something else more important than your ego and that is, is medicine right for you? I hear you talking about giving up but the thing is, the hard part hasn't even started.

My advice is to figure what you want in life. Shadow a doctor, is that something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life? Are you okay with 28 hour shifts and 80 hr work weeks as a resident for 4 to 8 years? Are you okay with the fact that high stakes standardized examinations don't stop? If you get a low Step 1 score, you may not be able to practice in the specialty that you want. Are you okay with the fact that your non-premed peers will make way more money than you for the next few years?

Introspect a little bit and ask yourself, is it worth it to me? Personally? I answered, **** yeah. If you don't feel similarly, maybe medicine isn't right for you. If you do, grab life by the balls and I hope to see you as a future colleague in a few years. Best of luck.

I didn't have spectacular semesters multiple times. Had to withdraw from a pre-req rather than fail it. (Only one of the 7 schools I interviewed at asked about it)

My advice: relax. I know, easier said than done and I have more than my fair share of anxiety ruining my life. But you need to let go of being perfect now. A 4.0 isn't necessary. In med school, particularly in pass/fail curricula, who cares what your grades are, as long as you pass. Trust me on this. I've already failed multiple exam and a good chunk of my class has failed an exam as well.

Don't let anxiety consume you. Don't worry about high school. If you got straight A's in high school and you aren't now, reflect on your study habits and adjust accordingly. Are you using your time efficiently? Are you memorizing rather than learning (just don't do this)? Are you doing enough practice problems for your courses? This is particularly of importance in courses like calc, physics, and chemistry. If you're relying on the text book to study, probably not doing you any favors, except practice problems. I rarely used textbooks in undergrad and haven't touched one in med school.

You'll be fine. Just try and relax and figure out where your problems are coming from and fix it!

Fight On Trojan! Having imperfect grades first semester freshman year is common as you get acclimated to college life. Med schools like to see upward trend in grades. It is much better to start slow and end strong than to start strong and fizzle out. It all comes down to the question of how hard are you willing to work while everyone else is having fun. Put in the effort, and things will work out. Get involved with volunteer work and research

Honestly, the fact that you are already talking about giving up when you have a very minor bump in the road is a much bigger issue than a couple C's...

Reactions: 1 users
If you're feeling overwhelmed then I would drop a class.

stop worrying and start studying. work hard. don't listen to the constant barrage of cynicism on SDN. keep your head down and just do the work.

Your problem was going to USC

USC sucks

Don't keep fighting on. Give up.

Jk. It's incredibly normal to struggle your first semester and if there is ever a time to learn how to study, **** up, and adjust it is now. Don't be too hard on yourself.

But really **** USC

Reactions: 1 users
I got a 3.0 my first semester (B- in both Gen Chem and Gen Bio). It takes time to learn how to study effectively in a new environment, so don't beat yourself down on this. It'll get better as long as you're willing to put in the effort! :) Also recommend going to SI sessions and office hours.

Your problem was going to USC

USC sucks

Don't keep fighting on. Give up.

Jk. It's incredibly normal to struggle your first semester and if there is ever a time to learn how to study, **** up, and adjust it is now. Don't be too hard on yourself.

But really **** USC
show me on the doll where USC touched you

The first semester is an adjustment period and many students experience a drop in grades from what they are used to in High School. Each subsequent semester has progressively more relative weight with regards to your chances at medical school. Take some time for a honest introspection with regards to your study habits and why you aren't achieving the level of success of which you believe you are capable. Make the changes you need to in order to remedy these deficiencies. Your future is firmly in your own hands.

Also, all the major pre-med classes have supplemental instruction at USC. Although it is time consuming, the tutors/teachers for these sessions are awesome and will likely have a significant impact on your course performance if you attend all of the sessions. They also commonly are in communication with course professors and have pre-test reviews before exams which are highly beneficial.

Avoid Kolb's classes in HBIO and try not to spend too much time on the Row. Fight On and good luck.

I feel like many Pre-meds (myself included) think we aren't worth it, and can't make it at the end. if you REALLY want to be a doctor, if you get like 3.3 with a 504 MCAT, applying broadly you will get into some school (most likely a DO school though).
The major point I'm trying to make is that you aren't the first one to feel this way nor the last. As long as you are willing to put in the work, you will be able to make it down the road.

Take a moment and breathe easy because it's neither a short or easy road.