Should I give up on becoming a medical doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurame21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I went to a non-traditional collegiate high school from which I earned not only my diploma but also my AA in Biology. Because I was young (16-18), dumb, distracted, and not fully aware of the privilege of attending college early, I messed around and did not do anywhere as well as my peers. I treated college as if it was high school and expected to do fine by just being there. This attitude led me to earning A's only in Bio 1, Gen Chem 1 lab, and pre-cal (I did not pass the first time I took it). I earned B's in Bio 1 lab, Bio 2, and Gen Chem 1. I'm embarrassed to say that I earned C's in Bio 2 lab, Gen Chem 2, Gen Chem 2 lab, college algebra and stats 1. I am currently a freshmen with junior credentials at FSU and am nearing the end of my first summer term. I have met with the pre medical advisor, a man infamous for his brutal honesty, and he said that in my situation, if I can make a massive improvement in my performance at the University level, then I still have a shot. Now at the end of my first term, it looks like I had a bad start and am going to have to retake trigonometry in the fall and not move on to calculus like I planned. I'm wondering if I should just give up my dream of medicine at this point, or retake trig, forget I didn't pass it the first time, and continue the path of medicine strong and determined. I know I have a slim chance with allopathic schools at this point but what about DO schools? For the record, while my academics are lacking, I have a strong volunteer history and have shadowed several doctors. I know I have what it takes to get through these classes, I just need the right mindset to succeed.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's on you to give up. It's not unheard of for people to make it from abysmal scores, but it requires extra effort.

If you have the grit to retake all those lackluster grades, then AACOMAS (DO application service) will only count the most recent retake, provided the credits are the same or greater. This would be the fastest way to recover from your low GPAs. Retakes need not be at the same school or have the same course title, provided the course content is demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

Read my signature below.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess something else that I always forget about is that at the end of it all, I'm still just a kid. I'm a 19 year old at a level most 21 year old pre-meds are at. I still have a lot of time to right my wrongs and show that I have improved. After meeting with an advisor I found out that through some loophole, even though I've earned my AA, the credit hours are not counted at my university. So in a way, I can just think of my self as a freshmen who just started college...even though I am a junior.

Whether your current university counts them or not, you will be obliged to submit every college transcript for coursework attempted at the time you apply to med school. The med school application service will follow their own rules about calculating your GPA from each individual transcript submitted.