Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I go for it?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by kaikai128, May 2, 2004.

?

Should I go for the HPSP?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

I am looking into applying for the HPSP Scholarship, most probably through the AF, although I may apply for the Army too. I have a fear of big boats, so I figure the Navy is not a good choice for me. I have read a lot of these posts and have a lot of people close to me in the military, I am quite familiar with what military life is like. I have on multiple occasions almost went into the military (ROTC, Reserves) but ended up not signing up with a fear I would never be able to make it to medical school. Long story short, I am looking for a vote, just to see where the majority people fall on the HPSP issues because these forums seem to talk about both good and bad. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't do it unless you really really want it. It's a big commitment...so don't do it for the money (which really isn't a perk).

4. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

Did you do the HPSP...just wondering?

5. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No...i'm USUHS (no..its not pronounced "USELESS")...but if I hadn't gotten into USUHS I would have gone Navy HPSP.

6. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you have to ask you probably shouldn't do it.

7. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yes it is. :p :cool:

8. NJEMT1

NJEMT1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think asking questions is the way to make an informed decision. If you don't ask and learn about the program, you will never know if it's for you. It is better to ask than join blindly.

9. HeavyD

HeavyD Member
    5+ Year Member

Maybe it's just me, but the fact that you have to ask others what you should do with you life regarding a significant decision scares me. I've read your reasoning as to 'why' you think you should conduct such a survey but really, having complete strangers influence a very personal decision just isn't in my world of rational thinking. I have to admit, I am one who will not make a promise lightly, tend to consider the various outcomes of my commitment before deciding, but come to the conclusion based on my reasons and my reasons alone. This way, however things work out, the responsibility of my decision rests on my shoulders solely.
    For me, I am very happy with my decision for choosing HPSP. I hope not to serve with digruntled individuals who will try to make my life miserable along with their own because they are unhappy with their military life, a life they let others (strangers no less) choose for them on an on-line poll.

10. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

Thank you for the response. I have many reasons why I am considering the HPSP program, and they go much beyond the sort paragraph that I wrote as a lead to the poll. However, since discovering this site and what I perceived as a general negative veiw of the HPSP, I decided to make this post. I did it not to make my decision, but to see if the general negativity was coming from a few who often post or if it was a general consensus. Trust me, my life changing decisions are not made on what a few strangers tell me...I chose wisely because I know that I am ultimately to blame if I am not happy with a decision. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

11. HeavyD

HeavyD Member
    5+ Year Member

While I was writing the above resonse, something dawned on me. Is the OP female? A quick check and XX was confirmed. I have to show my 'sensitive' side and recall various chapters form the old 'Men from Mars/ Women from Venus' (yes, I did read it however demascuating it may seem :oops: ). You ladies just think differently and tend to view decision making different then us chest-beating cave dwellers (at least the book would have you believe). Although I still feel the same way as I posted, I had to adjust my narrow thinking enough to recognize that you very well may take on decision making differently than I.

12. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    S/He would be better off researching this stuff outside of SDN and reaching his own conclusion.

13. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Unfortunately, there isn't tons of info available outside of SDN. I think this website is definitely one of the best resources available for students considering HPSP.

14. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I concur, you cant get anything but BS pretty pictures from recruiters. I wouldnt base my decision on a navy pamplet that is 95% pretty glossy pictures with a few nice sounding things thrown in "Graduate debt free!, don't worry about malpractice!"

15. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    Well naturally you wouldn't go to the navy/af/army websites, but you can find schedules of OCS, personal websites from military physicians, online handbooks for military physicians, or find a living, breathing military physician to talk with.

All he'll find on SDN are opinions from people who seem to absolutely hate military medicine or people who praise it but have yet to experience it. MilMD is nice to have around but at times I feel he may be exaggerating a bit. NavyDiveDoc seems to be more moderate and is probably the best "go to" guy. I believe he will find a more representative impression outside of SDN.

His situation sounds quite a bit like mine. He has military friends and has been interested in it for quite awhile. Based on his comments, he already seems to have a broad idea of what to expect. I really don't see how SDN can help him anymore; eventually you just have to make up your own mind.

To answer his post: if you are interested in doing it to serve your country, and are aware of what military life includes (both pros and cons), then go for it. If not, don't bother.

By the way, anyone notice how SDN doesn't have any chAir Force naysayers? :D

16. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is a great deal of wisdom in this statement.

17. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

I have been quite sure that I am going to apply for it for about a year now. I don't see any problem in seeing what the overall outlook is of other people and factoring that in as a very small piece of my overall decision. I am just trying to make an informed decision.

18. HeavyD

HeavyD Member
    5+ Year Member

If you were interested in others experiences in HPSP you would have received a much different (speaking for myself, at least) set of responses if you would have asked just that. Honestly, you question for the poll, as stated, blew my mind. I believe I described adequately enough the reasons for said mind blowing.
    Once the ol' Johnny Handcock is on the line, it's too late to consider 'is the military really something I can deal with'. Last year at OIS, a physician who came in on the FAP program (at least the story went) must not have adequately considered the consequences for signing on. She took off and was 'AWOL' the first chance she had. There was talk of criminal charges being pursued. Another member at OIS that year who really had serious issues regarding her poorly-made choice of accepting the HPSP was in my company. She did everything, including writing, calling and pleading to her state senator to get her out of her contract- and was uncessful. Probably were at least a few others in different companies than mine. Can't say I look forward to serving with types described above. Hence the strong opinion I hold regarding the full considerations of signing on to HPSP.

19. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

HeavyD~
    The reason that I did not ask the quesiton of other's opinions is because I felt as if I had gotten to see quite a few opinions already on here...and figured people didn't want to waste their time repeating what they had said in the past. However, thank you very much for your responses; I appreciate your concern in making sure I am aware of my decision so that I would be an asset rather than a hinderance to military medicine.
    Kai