General Admissions & OTCAS Should I go into OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booksandcoffee94

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am currently looking into going into OT. I was a Bio major and was actually thinking of going into research but I decided the jobs outlooks on that wasn't the best. Since I have just decided to go into OT, I haven't taken any of the pre reqs in college. I have been out of school for 2 years. I have been working as a CNA for a year and I have loved observing OT. I love the fact that OTs can also work abroad. Is it too late for me to go into OT? I am guessing I wont be done until easily 30.

All answers are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Look at it this way: most doctors don’t graduate from medical school and residency until they’re nearly 30 or more, give or take depending on their situation. I’ve been in multiple classes during undergrad where I’ve sat next to someone in their 30s, 40s or 50s, probably changing their career. Life is too short to not do what you enjoy... especially as far as a career considering most of us will spend 40+ hours a week doing it. Don’t let a number take that job happiness away from you :) go for it!!

Reactions: 1 user
If you think you may want to pursue OT set some goals and get started. There's no reason you can't complete your prereqs and apply during the next application cycle next fall. As a Bio Major did you already complete your A&P prereq classes?? If so the balance of the prereqs are very manageable. Get started on one or two more prereqs at community college this semester - classes likely starting now so don't delay if you believe it's what you want to do. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go into the field if it strongly interests you and you feel you have the ability and motivation to do it. I don't think age should be a reason to not. I will be close to that age when i finish since I took a couple of years to work after undergrad too.

I would just be mindful of the prerequisites and how long it will take you to finish them since some of the prereqs of programs are sequenced rather than to be taken at the same time. Do your research on expiration timelines of courses for programs you're interested in as well. For example, if you took A&P 6 or 7 years ago, it may need to be retaken for some OT programs unless you have taken more advanced courses or have extensive experience around that topic (I imagine CNA work would be applicable.)

Sent from my LG-H872 using SDN mobile

I'll be out of school for 2 years by the time I start this fall. I will finish my OTD when I am 26/27. I do not see an issue with this because I will be pursuing a career where I am happy. Follow your dreams!

Hi everyone!
I am currently looking into going into OT. I was a Bio major and was actually thinking of going into research but I decided the jobs outlooks on that wasn't the best. Since I have just decided to go into OT, I haven't taken any of the pre reqs in college. I have been out of school for 2 years. I have been working as a CNA for a year and I have loved observing OT. I love the fact that OTs can also work abroad. Is it too late for me to go into OT? I am guessing I wont be done until easily 30.

I had 50 yo classmates. Nobody cares.

I’ll be 29 when I’m finished with my Masters in OT. I read somewhere that the average age of grad students is 25. I think they’re actually more inclined to accept us because we’ve had time out of school to reflect and figure out what we truly want.

I just got accepted to the summer 18-19 cycle and will graduate when I am 29/30 years old. I think it'll be worth it to be able to do something I love for the next 20 years and hopefully part time even after retiring (bc I love it so much :)).

We have several people in my cohort who are your age or older! If you're interested in it, go for it!

Hi if you're interested in OT: Holisticstudent.com talks a lot about things to consider, schools and the application process. 10/10 recommend :)

I'll be 33 in the fall. You're never too old to apply. If it's your dream, you should pursue it!

I just turned 31, and I am still waiting on an acceptance into a program. It’s never too late to pursue a dream. Just keep in mind that this is a very competitive field, and not to get discouraged. This will be my 3rd year applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hey I'm turing 27 next week and I am wondering how u are not letting age bother you?? it's bothering me alot bc I feel the longer I wait for acceptance then maybe OT isn't worth the wait... I had an interview yesterday which i feel I didn't do too well, it's also stressing me out bc it was the interview to my TOP DREAM school!! please let me know ur thoughts... thank you

I actually got an acceptance to TWU Houston so I will be starting a program in the fall.

I never let my age bother me because OT is my dream. This will be my second career, so I didn’t really need to have a back up plan because I already have a decent job, just not one I love. Sure it kinda makes me feel like my biological clock is ticking, bc I’m not married and I don’t have children, but as I’ve gotten older my priorities have changed I guess. Getting an education and having a career that I love is what’s most important to me right now.

The interview portion is really important!! If you feel like you aren’t doing well in them I suggest doing mock interviews at your school with career services, or having your friends/family ask you as many random off the wall questions as possible. There is also a thread on here called “Interview Questions”, check that out!

Also it never hurts to have a backup plan. If you feel like OT isn’t worth putting in the time or effort, then maybe look into something less competitive. If I’ve learned anything throughout this process, it’s that programs are very picky & theres a lot of people in our applicant pools with excellent GPAs, GRE scores, and more volunteering hours than I could ever dream of doing.

Then you have candidates like me, with life experience, a crappy cumulative gpa (2.73) a crappy GRE score (145 Q, 145 V, 4 AW), last 60 3.5, post bacc 4.0, pre req 3.7-4.0 depending on the school).

So as you can see my cumulative gpa automatically knocked me out of even getting interviews at most schools. So yeah, this is a really discouraging process. But if this is actually your dream, I suggest doing whatever you can to make your application more competitive and to keep trying.
Thank you! Also why do you want to go for OT?! like over nursing, or PT??

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually got an acceptance to TWU Houston so I will be starting a program in the fall.

I never let my age bother me because OT is my dream. This will be my second career, so I didn’t really need to have a back up plan because I already have a decent job, just not one I love. Sure it kinda makes me feel like my biological clock is ticking, bc I’m not married and I don’t have children, but as I’ve gotten older my priorities have changed I guess. Getting an education and having a career that I love is what’s most important to me right now.

The interview portion is really important!! If you feel like you aren’t doing well in them I suggest doing mock interviews at your school with career services, or having your friends/family ask you as many random off the wall questions as possible. There is also a thread on here called “Interview Questions”, check that out!

Also it never hurts to have a backup plan. If you feel like OT isn’t worth putting in the time or effort, then maybe look into something less competitive. If I’ve learned anything throughout this process, it’s that programs are very picky & theres a lot of people in our applicant pools with excellent GPAs, GRE scores, and more volunteering hours than I could ever dream of doing.

Then you have candidates like me, with life experience, a crappy cumulative gpa (2.73) a crappy GRE score (145 Q, 145 V, 4 AW), last 60 3.5, post bacc 4.0, pre req 3.7-4.0 depending on the school).

So as you can see my cumulative gpa automatically knocked me out of even getting interviews at most schools. So yeah, this is a really discouraging process. But if this is actually your dream, I suggest doing whatever you can to make your application more competitive and to keep trying.
and congrats on your acceptance!!! GOD BLESS

Because to me occupational therapy takes a more meaningful and holistic approach to medicine. It’s one of the few professions that takes into consideration what the patients goals are and what’s meaningful to them.

Nursing and PT are both great fields! I just feel like I can make the biggest difference in peoples lives with OT.

Nurses are overworked and underpaid (not saying other professions aren’t), and if I ever did go that route I would’ve gone nurse practitioner, but my heart just isn’t in it. Most healthcare professions are extremely McDonaldized, and instead focusing patient care they are focused on profit. In my opinion OT is the least McDonaldized profession, and it’s all about adapting to meet your patients needs/goals!
I really respect that! I remember a year ago I had hand therapy and the OT that work with me really inspired me to want to work with people.. also at my current job I work 1-on-1 with clients, which even inspired me more to go for this field!! As a graduate psychology major I enjoyed Abnormal psych, and biology!

Because to me occupational therapy takes a more meaningful and holistic approach to medicine. It’s one of the few professions that takes into consideration what the patients goals are and what’s meaningful to them.

Nursing and PT are both great fields! I just feel like I can make the biggest difference in peoples lives with OT.

Nurses are overworked and underpaid (not saying other professions aren’t), and if I ever did go that route I would’ve gone nurse practitioner, but my heart just isn’t in it. Most healthcare professions are extremely McDonaldized, and instead focusing patient care they are focused on profit. In my opinion OT is the least McDonaldized profession, and it’s all about adapting to meet your patients needs/goals!
Once you complete the program, what specialty of OT will you... specialize in??

Once you complete the program, what specialty of OT will you... specialize in??

I’m interested in inpatient rehab right now, specifically stroke patients, but that doesn’t mean it won’t change during the program.

Yes. My first semester will be fall of this year.
I am still awaiting upon my 1st acceptance!! Being almost 27, I am going to work as much as possible until I hear 1 acceptance... the thing is if I get avcepted only to private schools, Idk if I should reapply next year for public schools or just continue unto next fall for the private school bc I want to save money... I went to private school for my undergrad and really regret it, so I don't wanna make that same mistake for grad school

Does OTD pay more than Master OT or same pay rate?
My sister-in-law is an OT and will make more once she finishes her OTD. So yes, they do in a sense. But I am not sure that an entry level OTD practicioner would make more than an entry level MOT practitioner. I think this is something we will start to get answers on as MOTs fade out and more OTD programs take over.

My sister-in-law is an OT and will make more once she finishes her OTD. So yes, they do in a sense. But I am not sure that an entry level OTD practicioner would make more than an entry level MOT practitioner. I think this is something we will start to get answers on as MOTs fade out and more OTD programs take over.
From my experience though, OTD allows you to teach and Participate in research related to the field... Once I get a job as an OTR/L, I plan to get a job in a company that offers tuition reimbursement to go back for my Ph.D, or OTD

From my experience though, OTD allows you to teach and Participate in research related to the field... Once I get a job as an OTR/L, I plan to get a job in a company that offers tuition reimbursement to go back for my Ph.D, or OTD
Yeah, thats what she is doing. She has her MOT but her company will not pay for anyone to do OTD. You just hve to find one that will!

Yeah, thats what she is doing. She has her MOT but her company will not pay for anyone to do OTD. You just hve to find one that will!
I'm sorry to hear that!! But still OTD is still worth it in my opinion!! If my company wouldn't pay for it, I would save like 15% of what I'm making as an OT & use that throughout the years!!

Hi everyone!

I'm turning 27 in literally 2 days! So far I've got into one program and if I get into my dream school, I will graduate when I'm 30… im literally okay with that because I don't really care about age, like who cares!? One of my good friends (26 years old) is in law school and has mainly students aging fr orl m 35 to 42 (50% of his class)... don't let a 'number' determine anything for you!

I turn 38 this year. This fall I start my ODT! I am a single parent of an adorable 10 year old girl! If I can do it, anyone can! I will not be done until I'm 41. I don't care because 40 is the new 30 and 30s are fun!

Reactions: 1 users