Should I go to UCSF or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreatHambino

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student. Therefore, I am not eligible for federal loans and must take out private loans. Prior to this application cycle, I had a co-signer who was willing to help me secure loans for at least the 1st year. However, due to unforeseen events, I no longer have a co-signer and will most likely not be able to find one.

So far, I've had 4 interviews and got invited to interview at UCSF. I'd like to go UCSF because UCSF is a great school and one of my top choices. However, due to the current circumstances, since I am unlikely to finance my education, I'm contemplating if I should go to the interview. If I can't afford my education, is it worth going to an interview? I would have to take 2 days off of work (which is not too big of a deal since my company is lenient with taking days off), but the cost of flying and staying at least a night in SF would cost at least $700.

FYI, I am likely to become a permanent resident soon, and I will be eligible for federal loans if I reapply during the 2018 cycle. Although I will be bummed out that I won't matriculate in the near future, postponing a year isn't too bad either.

So,

1. If I do NOT go to the interview, will the school look at me less favorably come next cycle when I reapply?

2. Should I go to the interview anyway?

3. Do you think it's better to:
a. Find a co-signer (if I can) and take out at least one year's worth of private loans (and then transition to federal loans once I become a permanent resident)?
b. Postpone my career for 1 year and borrow money from the government for 4 years? I don't know how difficult reapplying is but I can guess that it sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the interview. If you get accepted, reach out to the dean and explain your circumstance. They'll probably try to help you out.

Reactions: 3 users
a. Find a co-signer (if I can) and take out at least one year's worth of private loans (and then transition to federal loans once I become a permanent resident)?

Do you think you can find one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think you can find one?
Not likely. I would only ask family because of the financial risk for the co-signer. I have a small family and don't have anyone off the top of my head who can help.

Not likely. I would only ask family because of the financial risk for the co-signer. I have a small family and don't have anyone off the top of my head who can help.

Call and ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user