Consider Reapplying or Go To Only Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_smiles23

Reaction score
Stats: 21 AA, 21 TS, 19 PAT, 3.93 sGPA, 3.97 GPA

I applied to 7 schools, interviewed at 3, and was accepted to 1 school this cycle. That school is the super expensive one that you all know what I'm talking about and I know I'm not the first person to be in this position of only getting into this one school. I'm waitlisted at the other 2 schools I applied to (one of them in-state) and I've been in contact with them sending updates on my app, letter of intent, etc. Because I was only accepted to this one school, part of me feels obligated to attend because I don't have a strong desire to go there and there are other things I don’t like about it either. For example, the insane cost of the school, the fact that if you fail your class, you are placed in remedial and if you don't pass that, you have to retake the whole year. I'm not sure if failing a class there is common or not, but I do have a D1 friend who already has a remediation exam this summer that he's stressed about. Also the not-so-great administration, huge class size, etc. Just reading countless negative comments on sdn and reddit these past few days also makes me not want to go and I would hate to regret being miserable for 4 years. I had 3 interviews and 3 rejections which makes me think I had good stats but maybe I could improve my application/interview skills and reapply. I could also apply early around June 1 rather than when I applied this cycle, July 27. This might be why my last interview was so late a couple weeks ago near the end of April. Overall, I don't know what to do now. I’m stressed out thinking about moving and I never thought I would be so miserable after getting accepted. I know I should be grateful to even have an acceptance but my heart is not set here and I’m getting bad vibes from this school. Your comment's would be appreciated and if current students who attend this school see this, please share your thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad.

Stats: 21 AA, 21 TS, 19 PAT, 3.93 sGPA, 3.97 GPA

I applied to 7 schools, interviewed at 3, and was accepted to 1 school this cycle. That school is the super expensive one that you all know what I'm talking about and I know I'm not the first person to be in this position of only getting into this one school. I'm waitlisted at the other 2 schools I applied to (one of them in-state) and I've been in contact with them sending updates on my app, letter of intent, etc. Because I was only accepted to this one school, part of me feels obligated to attend because I don't have a strong desire to go there and there are other things I don’t like about it either. For example, the insane cost of the school, the fact that if you fail your class, you are placed in remedial and if you don't pass that, you have to retake the whole year. I'm not sure if failing a class there is common or not, but I do have a D1 friend who already has a remediation exam this summer that he's stressed about. Also the not-so-great administration, huge class size, etc. Just reading countless negative comments on sdn and reddit these past few days also makes me not want to go and I would hate to regret being miserable for 4 years. I had 3 interviews and 3 rejections which makes me think I had good stats but maybe I could improve my application/interview skills and reapply. I could also apply early around June 1 rather than when I applied this cycle, July 27. This might be why my last interview was so late a couple weeks ago near the end of April. Overall, I don't know what to do now. I’m stressed out thinking about moving and I never thought I would be so miserable after getting accepted. I know I should be grateful to even have an acceptance but my heart is not set here and I’m getting bad vibes from this school. Your comment's would be appreciated and if current students who attend this school see this, please share your thoughts :)
May I know the school you were accepted to? or at least what state?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah what school are you talking about. I got into USC and also declined because of the COA. Luckily i was accepted somewhere else that is cheaper .

Members don't see this ad :)
there's only one school he can be talking about...

I wouldn’t go there unless it was free. Too many horror stories

Reactions: 2 users
You can PM me but I was in a similar boat last year, except I had lower GPA (still around the desired average) and I took the DAT many months after you applied (but also COVID cycle.)

My thinking is it depends on how you feel about a year of ur life - staying at home for a year to re-apply wasn’t really an option for me. I also saw all my college friends moving to big cities and moving in highly compensated fields, and I really wanted to just move on with my life.

Instead of loosing a year to re-apply, you could also plan to go rural for a year. It could be possible to find a lucrative associateship - I’ve heard random small areas in upstate NY close to Canada will give a starting minimum of 250. But even that after tax is 150 so still doesn’t make up for cost difference

Instead of loosing a year to re-apply, you could also plan to go rural for a year. It could be possible to find a lucrative associateship - I’ve heard random small areas in upstate NY close to Canada will give a starting minimum of 250. But even that after tax is 150 so still doesn’t make up for cost difference
250k is still less than half of the > 600k OP will leave with so it's still a horrible deal.

Why did you apply to a school that you deem to be too expensive?

Reactions: 2 users
What laster said how much is a year important to you. For me its worth becoming a dentist faster regardless if its the better financial decision or not. I'm tired of working minimum wage.

try to sign up for NHSC your second year. and then just do the two years of service and be good

The general advice I give is take the acceptance but keep searching for good scholarships. Check whether you would want to do NHSC or HPSP to reduce that COA. I say this because it's never a guarantee you'd get into any other school, and you might as well start your journey to your dream job sooner than later (tuition ain't going to go down). Unless there is a real red flag with accreditation (looking at Cal Northstate because of their med school accreditation issues), you need to really consider starting. Granted NYU trains a sizeable proportion of dental students, and in spite of the challenges, they still come through accreditation with flying colors.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The general advice I give is take the acceptance but keep searching for good scholarships. Check whether you would want to do NHSC or HPSP to reduce that COA. I say this because it's never a guarantee you'd get into any other school, and you might as well start your journey to your dream job sooner than later (tuition ain't going to go down). Unless there is a real red flag with accreditation (looking at Cal Northstate because of their med school accreditation issues), you need to really consider starting. Granted NYU trains a sizeable proportion of dental students, and in spite of the challenges, they still come through accreditation with flying colors.
There is certainly no guarantee of admissions elsewhere.

The concern here is not the training or accreditation of the school.

Taking on debt the size of NYU Dental is not a light thing. It will literally take decades of your life to pay it off. At which point I would argue it’s not really worth becoming a dentist for that cost

Last edited:
There is certainly no guarantee of admissions elsewhere.

The concern here is not the training or accreditation of the school.

Taking on debt the size of NYU Dental is not a light thing. It will literally take decades of your life to pay it off. At which point I would argue it’s not really worth becoming a dentist for that cost
I did say it was my general advice. But yeah the COA is something to consider. And this is the last chance to accept the terms. I won't argue if the price is too high. ADEA has always tried to figure out the problem but it's not their decision alone to make.

Advice from ADEA GoDental blog: Deciding Where to Apply