Should I include IR research in application if applying only to DR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fouracle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying solely to DR. However, I have 2 conference abstracts in IR (one was accepted at SIR). Would including them in my app come across as being interested in IR and thus be viewed unfavorably by some DR programs who may assume I'm also applying to IR and see them as backups?

(I did the IR project because I was asked to participate by the PI and I had never done a QI project before so thought it'd be a cool experience. Also at the time thought potentially could be helpful for DR app.)

Members don't see this ad.

Include the research. Just say you only want to do DR. Trust me it's fine. No need to hide. Just say the project was interesting because XYZ reasons and that you wanted the opportunity to see what it was about etc. Don't hide something you accomplished. This isn't Ortho research for gen surg applicants lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had mostly IR research with a few DR projects sprinkled in my app. I ended up going into only DR after losing interest in the IR world. I included everything in my application, and it only drew questions about if I'm interested in IR and if I applied into that as well. I always just told them the truth that I was interested it in initially but now I'm solely applying DR and keeping my options open and nobody questioned it; I matched my top choice too if that means anything.

Bump, what about ENT research or other research for surgical fields unrelated to radiology at all? I will be finishing the projects/submitting them before applying. Just do not have any other reserach opportunities

Bump, what about ENT research or other research for surgical fields unrelated to radiology at all? I will be finishing the projects/submitting them before applying. Just do not have any other reserach opportunities
Include everything. No research is far worse than unrelated research, which many programs find equivalent to DR research anyway.

There is no field in medicine unrelated to radiology at all!

Bump, what about ENT research or other research for surgical fields unrelated to radiology at all? I will be finishing the projects/submitting them before applying. Just do not have any other research opportunities

People massively over think this. It's better to have something on the CV than nothing. At the minimum, it tells people you have ability to do research. I.e. its not about your prior research productivity but a indicator of your potential future research productivity.

From the perspective of an attending, if you're trying to do research with a resident who's never done research it's gonna be an unpleasant ride. There's gonna have to be a lot more hand holding to get a project to fruition. Therefore from the residency recruitment standpoint, a candidate with some research (regardless if its on the mating habits of baboons in Pango Pango) has a leg up on someone who has none.

Reactions: 1 user