Should I include this in my resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCalypso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup fellow SDNers,

Just a quick question.

I did 8+ years of piano when I was little, and I'd like to include this in my resume for "manual dexterity".

The problem is that I forgot how and can play no better than a rotting pile of logs :uhno: (Weird analogy, I know)

Can I still include this in my resume? Should I practice before my interviews in case they, by some chance, whip out a piano and tell me to start playing? Yikes :scared:.

Thanks a lot guys! Keep up the good work!

(Also, can I mention that I did Martial Arts? Or is that irrelevant?)

Members don't see this ad.

...eh, I don't know how much merit that piano thing will have. I mean, if you can't play piano, you can't play piano, regardless of whether or not you could when you were little.

Martial Arts, however, is definitely something worth mentioning. Not everyone can do that, and it takes dedication to achieve the various levels (assuming that wasn't when you were little and is now forgotten, too).

One more thing...why did you stop playing piano? You said this was for your resume, so you couldn't really go into detail there. But perhaps there is a "One of my biggest regrets is..." sort of thing there...I have had that question thrown at me a lot during interviews, and I wouldn't doubt they might throw something like that at you for D-School interviews, as well. So maybe have it in reserve for that situation...

Sup fellow SDNers,

Just a quick question.

I did 8+ years of piano when I was little, and I'd like to include this in my resume for "manual dexterity".

The problem is that I forgot how and can play no better than a rotting pile of logs :uhno: (Weird analogy, I know)

Can I still include this in my resume? Should I practice before my interviews in case they, by some chance, whip out a piano and tell me to start playing? Yikes :scared:.

Thanks a lot guys! Keep up the good work!

(Also, can I mention that I did Martial Arts? Or is that irrelevant?)

Only if you plan to use that as your method of tooth extraction. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I don't see the manual dexterity in martial arts unless you're doing thumb wars or something. As for piano, if you can't do it now, it's useless. If practicing will make you capable, then by all means include it.

"...eh, I don't know how much merit that piano thing will have. I mean, if you can't play piano, you can't play piano, regardless of whether or not you could when you were little.

Martial Arts, however, is definitely something worth mentioning. Not everyone can do that, and it takes dedication to achieve the various levels (assuming that wasn't when you were little and is now forgotten, too).

One more thing...why did you stop playing piano? You said this was for your resume, so you couldn't really go into detail there. But perhaps there is a "One of my biggest regrets is..." sort of thing there...I have had that question thrown at me a lot during interviews, and I wouldn't doubt they might throw something like that at you for D-School interviews, as well. So maybe have it in reserve for that situation... "
-Palmetto914

Ah, that's a good reply for the "what did you regret?" questions.

I quit because frankly, I hated it (the lessons that is, not playing).
I'd start playing again if I had a piano (and time), but that's for a later time I guess.
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I don't see the manual dexterity in martial arts unless you're doing thumb wars or something. As for piano, if you can't do it now, it's useless. If practicing will make you capable, then by all means include it.

So maybe learn it back (sounds weird:p) before my interviews?
I've heard that some adcoms ask you to play your instrument, but this is very rare.

I hope they don't bring in a piano :smuggrin:

I mentioned in my application for manual dexterity that I taught myself how to play guitar. My interviewer asked me if I was any good, haha, I just laughed and said something along the lines of "I'm amazing." He got the deadpan, and we talked about how putting something like that on an application is hard to prove, considering I didn't bring my guitar to the interview. I told him I'd play him some freebird if I was accepted.

I mentioned in my application for manual dexterity that I taught myself how to play guitar. My interviewer asked me if I was any good, haha, I just laughed and said something along the lines of "I'm amazing." He got the deadpan, and we talked about how putting something like that on an application is hard to prove, considering I didn't bring my guitar to the interview. I told him I'd play him some freebird if I was accepted.

:D Hope you got in!

More than manual dexterity I think is hand-eye coordination. I would mention it, maybe not in the manual dexterity section, but as a extra curricular activity.. :thumbup:

I think it's worth mentioning if you were good at it. Even though I haven't taken lessons since starting college 5 years ago, I had played competitively for 10 years before then. I put that and some of my more distinguished awards on my app. One interviewer brought up the subject positively.