Should I interview at NOVA, (already into CCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabe Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into the Class of 2005 at CCOM, and I am extremely happy with the school. I just received an invitation to interview at NOVA, and I was wondering if I should go. I am tired of interviewing (i've had 6 so far), and I have been told by many that CCOM has one of the best programs in the nation.

Alumni's and current students, "what do you guys/gals think of your respective schools? Were any of you in my position?"

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I too was in the same position last year I was accepted to CCOM and then I got and invitation for an interview at NOVA. I decided to skip the NOVA interview for a few reasons, first of all the flight would have been extremely expensive for me ( I think it was about $1000), I was very impressed with CCOM, and NOVA would have been even further away from home than CCOM(which is already really far). As I read more about NOVA there were alot of things I liked but also some things that I didn't like, such as the attendance policy and the dress code. I know that I like to have more flexibility in my schedule and be able to skip class if I am not benefitting from being there. I remember thinking I would always go to class anyways, but now that I am in school I am glad to have the freedom not to attend if I am not able to learn from a professor. I don attend most classes and get a lot out of them, but sometimes my time is better spent in the library.

I am now a first year at CCOM and I have been happy with my choice. I think the classes here are great and the professors really care about us and how well we are learning from them. The anatomy department is especially good. It is challenging and we have a tough test schedule, but I can't believe how much I have learned this year already it's amazing.

CCOM has worked out well for me, but it is really a personal thing. NOVA is also an excellent school and would probably be a better choice for some people, you should probalby try to talk to some people from there as well. One thing about CCOM is that the weather is not that great this time of year, but you can adjust.

I hope this helps.

Amy

Wannabedoc, I think your shopping is over, CCOM is the one!!! I also had many interviews and I chose to skip Nova because I was already accepted to CCOM. I truly believe that CCOM is one of the best DO schools if not among all medical schools. Yes I also heard about the good marks for the anatomy department and the challenging coursework. Don't you love how they give you a list of all the residency matches for the class of 2000? I thought the faculty was great, the students were awesome and I was impressed by the amount of information they gave us during the interview. I also was impressed by the paper they published in the New England Journal of Medicine on osteopathic manipulation of lower back pain versus traditional treatement. It seems that the OMM department at CCOM is excellent. I hope to see you this fall, I will be a first year student too. I can't wait!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies. It seems like I will be attending CCOM in the fall as well. My name is Khalid and I'm from Louisiana. Email me, I'd like to know what you are going to do about living/dorm arrangements.

[email protected]

later

i've been accepted at ccom and nova this year. ccom is about 15 minutes from where i live but i think I still want to go to nova. I just feel like getting away from home for a while. When i visited nova i was really impressed. And living in florida would be cool. Im not exactly sure what im gonna do though. Do you have any advice???