Should I join a premed club?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Owenstm03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much being in a premed club like the student association for prehealth professionals helps getting into a med school. I am taking 17 credit hours, have a part time job, and volunteering so I don't know if I will have the time for something like SAPP

Members don't see this ad.

Being a member of the club, on its own, won't help. It's possible that some of the things you learn or do in the club will help, i.e. information about the application process or the opportunity to participate in some worthwhile activities.

I was wondering how much being in a premed club like the student association for prehealth professionals helps getting into a med school. I am taking 17 credit hours, have a part time job, and volunteering so I don't know if I will have the time for something like SAPP

You really do not need to participate in every single thing the club does. If you show up to an occasional meeting you are still apart of the club. I assume most people who apply to medical school are apart of a premed club but I don't think not joining one will be a deciding factor in whether a med school accepts you or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Simply joining the club will not help you get into medical school at all. The group might put you into contact with opportunities, though. I did not join the pre-medical group at my undergrad. I did keep my name on the general pre-med listing, though, and got notices of volunteer events they were hosting so I could help out if I wanted, and that was useful. The meetings of the club itself seemed to be mostly social bureaucracy.

I found most of the members of my school's premed club to be rather obnoxious know-it-alls that didn't actually get in to medical schools.

But yeah, I think at least knowing what the club is up to would be helpful. Make it to a meeting when you feel like it, and try to get on the email list.

nah please dont

join something like an investment club or something where you can diversify yourself (for life, and not for medical school)

I stayed away from the one at my school. No one cares if you joined it or not. You probably won't learn anything from it that you can't find here.

Join a club that you are honestly interested in, and not what you think a med school will find intriguing. The premed club at my school is boring and monotonous as hell. They have the wonderful skill of making something as interesting as medicine dry. It is for that reason and that reason alone that I'm not a part of the premed club. I am, however, part of the bioclub, because it caters to many interests that I don't have the time to pursue in entirety due to how busy I am.

I dont know about you guys..but most of the pre-meds in my school are cutthroat SOBs..They will try to find out what you are doing as EC's and they will try to do that as well...just bunch copycats...Some of them will try to take over your position if you are not careful enough..it's just bunch BS to me..So most of the time I stayed away from those people and just do my own thing and get my information from those AMAZING Sdners...But yeah..I joined but I am not that active in it...One a while if I am in a party mood, I will go to the meeting and have free cupcakes...LOL o_O

The pre-med club at my school is not all it could be... minimal events and information.

Good thing SDN is the best and most informative pre-med club anyone could ever belong to :D

Last edited: