Should I join the NAVY, while doing pre-med as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocky Balboa

The Greatest Underdog
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After careful consideration of how much my parents are destroying my life and not helping me purue the career I want to achieve I have decided to join the Navy. I visited a recruiting center and learned a whole lot I have never known before. Joining the Navy will not only pay for my college tuition but also help me get a lot of medical experience and also get me some income. Should I join the Navy? What do you guys think? Will it somewhat help in the admission process of getting into medical school?

The only thing I am worried about is my parents reaction. I told the recruiters that my parents might freak, if I tell them I want to join the Navy. The Navy recruiters told me to tell my parents to go speak with them about my addmission to the Navy and the recruiter will try and convince my parent. I am going to tell my parents tonight. I hope they don't make me cry and make me regret telling them. If my parents say that I can't join and I decide to join, I am going to try really hard to join the Navy anyway!

Members don't see this ad.

are you in school right now? you can join the reserves then :idea:

they have some good medical programs for reservists i've heard

After careful consideration of how much my parents are destroying my life and not helping me purue the career I want to achieve I have decided to join the Navy. I visited a recruiting center and learned a whole lot I have never known before. Joining the Navy will not only pay for my college tuition but also help me get a lot of medical experience and also get me some income. Should I join the Navy? What do you guys think? Will it somewhat help in the admission process of getting into medical school?

i was so busy studying these past several weeks and i went outside today and saw that the price of a gallon of gas is about $3.50. since when did it jump a whole dollar. who's gonna pay for my gas on my oversized hummer when i become a doctor?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a high school senior.

Do you even want to serve in the Navy? Or, are you enlisting to get away from your parents? If you enlist you I believe serve in the military and then get a credit to attend a four year university. If you're really gung-ho about the military then why not partake in ROTC?

If you have to ask on a message board whether you should join the Navy, then the answer is no. Grow up a little more first, decide whether you're actually willing to make the commitment for a reason other than because your parents are too controlling, and then decide whether you want to join. And don't do it because it will look good. That's the worst reason to do anything.

haha, the perfect recruit. some tiny kid who doesnt like his parents lol.

Ater going to a recruitment center I really want to join the NAVY because there are so many medical opportunities I get from meing in the NAVY and I get to be a leader. I always wanted to be a leader and now I get a chance to do that and I it looks good for medical school. A win-win situation. To those who already joined the NAVY, I ask you guys, what should I do?

Ater going to a recruitment center I really want to join the NAVY because there are so many medical opportunities I get from meing in the NAVY and I get to be a leader. I always wanted to be a leader and now I get a chance to do that and I it looks good for medical school. A win-win situation. To those who already joined the NAVY, I ask you guys, what should I do?

A "leader" what does that even mean? I hate military propaganda convincing people who don't know any better to join. You need to find some people who have actually done it. Decide if you are doing ROTC or just being in the navy for several years before. You could also just work your way through college and then join the Navy Health Corps Service to pay for your med school (PAYS FOR EVERYTHING). There are a lot of options and make sure you've looked at all of them.

If you enlist now and go to school later you won't be anything close to a 'leader' you'll be an enlisted man doing scut work. If you do ROTC or Navy Health Corps Service at least you'll enter as an officer but still there is so much beaurocracy that you're never going to be in charge or have any autonomy.

Find some people who have done what you are considering and see what they have to say about it. A recruiter isn't going to tell you any of the bad stuff or give you both sides - they get paid to recruit you - THEY LIE.

But the undertext of your question is, "Will it help me get into medical school and/or will it help me in my future career?"

The answer to both is likely no. I come from a Navy family and have several friends who went the military to pay for medical school route. They all have complaints - not complaints that necessarily mean you should give up on the idea, but what you've written doesn't convince me that the decision is the right one for you (if I may be so bold as to decide what is right for you ; ) ).

We have a Military Medicine forum here which may offer some help - albeit with a tendency to be "gung-ho" about the military. But speaking from experience, be wary of recruiters - they are not the friend they seem to be, they make money recruiting naive young men and women, the present a sunny, distorted view of the service. They "prey" on those who are disconnected from their family and seemingly lost in this world; its not really different than a cult, IMHO.

You may decide that a military career is for you, but consider it a CAREER; don't join just because you think the medical experience might help you get into medical school or in a medical career beyond. Remember the military can and will limit your career options, will delay them while you doing GMO tours and for some, is not worth the tuition savings.

Are you willing to risk your life in order to become a leader? Will you practice medicine in the Navy for the rest of your life or just the amount of years you are required? If you leave after the years you are told to serve it appears to me, atleast, as cowardly and that you did it just to get bills paid for (which I'm not arguing against). But are you really sure you know what you are getting into? Those recruiters got the hell out of the hotzone as soon as possible and take a "home base" job because they know they are at little or no risk to their life. For those of you that are serving and are in it to serve both me and the rest of the country, I admire you. I just don't think the OP's heart is in it, but rather it is an excuse to get away from the parents and "punish" them for not supporting his aspirations.

The only thing I am worried about is my parents reaction. I told the recruiters that my parents might freak, if I tell them I want to join the Navy. The Navy recruiters told me to tell my parents to go speak with them about my addmission to the Navy and the recruiter will try and convince my parent. I am going to tell my parents tonight. I hope they don't make me cry and make me regret telling them. If my parents say that I can't join and I decide to join, I am going to try really hard to join the Navy anyway!

All recruiters lie. Maybe that's a little too harsh. All recruiters make the service they're promoting look as good as they can because that's what they're selling. If you're thinking about joining the Navy and going to school go ROTC. If you enlist, that's four years on the spot before you can even think about starting school. If your recruiter has said something about you deferring your enlistment, he lied. A great number of my guys were promised one thing and had the carpet pulled out from under them. LOOK at what you sign. If all it says is "agrees to serve for x years" that's all you get. You're not contracting to be a corpsman, nor spend vacations in the Seychelles, nor getting a new Corvette, even if that's what your recruiter said.

As a side note, after you go to school, the Navy will fall over itself to lasso you into being a doctor (indentured servant). Any recruiter will offer you a four year ride at any school you get into, no questions asked. If you're willing to trade your soul for med school bills that is (good luck finding a navy doc that's not ready to hang him or herself). Bring on the happy navy doc/anti-suicide joke flames! I'm ready.

And finally, military stuff helps, and might be a tie breaker, but won't carry you all the way there. I was a navy pilot for eight years, and find myself getting a masters for the 2009 cycle because I didn't get in 2007 (very poor undergrad gpa).

Your plan to escape an unhealthy relationship with your parents is to join the Navy? Are you crazy? Have you heard of boot camp? No offense, but from reading your posts on here I don't think you'd make it.

Go to college and if it's something you still want to do a few years down the line join up once you get in to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ater going to a recruitment center I really want to join the NAVY because there are so many medical opportunities I get from meing in the NAVY and I get to be a leader. I always wanted to be a leader and now I get a chance to do that and I it looks good for medical school.
Everyone is told that they will become a leader by joining the military. Yet the military, like any large organization, is made up of many more followers than leaders. Odds are you will be one too.

The military is a good choice for two kinds of people:

1. People who have no other options to better their life. Joining the military can get you out of abject poverty and give you some basic skills that will help you when you get out as well as some scholarship money to help pay for school. It will take you out of a dangerous/unstructured home life and give you discipline.

2. People who really want to serve their country. 'Nuff said.

You don't sound like either. Think hard.

. I am going to tell my parents tonight. I hope they don't make me cry!

Uhm - Leader? Military? Rocky Balboa? In the context of the quote above... all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Hey bud, not to be harsh, but I have to be honest with you: I think that you're going into this for the wrong reasons. I don't really see any motivation on your part to be a part of the Navy (or any branch for that matter). Military service is NOT an escape from your problems. That kind of attitude (speaking in generalities here) will only get you hurt or in trouble in the military. I went to Annapolis (don't hate... I'm not one of the usual ring-knocking cocky types). Between there and the Fleet, I can tell you that guys that didn't have the motivation were absolutely destroyed by the cadre and DIs and so forth. They simply couldn't handle it. Military service is rough and unforgiving. I was one of the weird masochistic types that loved it (so I can't really offer any opinions as to dealing with flaming and such).

And as far as medical school goes... Personally, I think you should go the normal college route, get awesome grades (unlike me :laugh: ) and then go to medical school. IF you still like the military (and have done A LOT of research and personal involvement with it), THEN go with the Health Corps scholarship.

You're a young guy... Things with your parents WILL cool down (something you learn with age). Running away from your problems only makes them worse, and you yourself become a quitter (a nasty habit almost impossible to break).

:luck: Good luck, kid, and PM me if you want to talk about it more.

Did you know that there are certain conditions under which anyone who has served in the military can be called back to service? My doctor, who had not been in the military for 15 years was drafted back into the Army when Iraq II started. He had to close his practice and report to Fort Benning in Georgia. So guess what? You could be in the military for life.

Did you know that there are certain conditions under which anyone who has served in the military can be called back to service? My doctor, who had not been in the military for 15 years was drafted back into the Army when Iraq II started. He had to close his practice and report to Fort Benning in Georgia. So guess what? You could be in the military for life.

As a former soldier, I gotta clarify here a bit. There has been no draft since the Vietnam era. When you enlist, EVERYBODY joins for a total of 8 years. Not all of that is active duty, it is a combination of active, active reserve, and inactive reserve (your name is just on a list).

The doc that in the example above was likely in the reserves, and his unit was activated.

Ironically, joining the military is one way to AVOID the threat of being drafted - once your eight years are over, you are no longer draft eligible (unless the laws are changed.)

Hey bud, not to be harsh, but I have to be honest with you: I think that you're going into this for the wrong reasons. I don't really see any motivation on your part to be a part of the Navy (or any branch for that matter). Military service is NOT an escape from your problems. That kind of attitude (speaking in generalities here) will only get you hurt or in trouble in the military. I went to Annapolis (don't hate... I'm not one of the usual ring-knocking cocky types). Between there and the Fleet, I can tell you that guys that didn't have the motivation were absolutely destroyed by the cadre and DIs and so forth. They simply couldn't handle it. Military service is rough and unforgiving. I was one of the weird masochistic types that loved it (so I can't really offer any opinions as to dealing with flaming and such).

And as far as medical school goes... Personally, I think you should go the normal college route, get awesome grades (unlike me :laugh: ) and then go to medical school. IF you still like the military (and have done A LOT of research and personal involvement with it), THEN go with the Health Corps scholarship.

You're a young guy... Things with your parents WILL cool down (something you learn with age). Running away from your problems only makes them worse, and you yourself become a quitter (a nasty habit almost impossible to break).

:luck: Good luck, kid, and PM me if you want to talk about it more.

Did you even read Balboa's quote? He's not joining the Navy, he's joining the NAVY!

We have a Military Medicine forum here which may offer some help - albeit with a tendency to be "gung-ho" about the military.

Are you serious? Have you actually read that forum? A large portion, if not a majority, is filled with physicians who have been left very embittered by their time in military medicine. They actively discourage people from joining.

To the OP, Kimberli Cox and the others are correct, enlisting in the Navy will not help you get into medical school. It will also not help you very much in getting the leadership opportunities that you mentioned. You need to consider Navy ROTC and/or HPSP if you are so inclined. In any case, it doesn't sound to me that you're joining for the right reasons, so I would take some serious time for introspection before you sign on the dotted line.

Did you even read Balboa's quote? He's not joining the Navy, he's joining the NAVY!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i'll be sure to read closer next time so as to not confuse the two. i'm guessing i was mid in the inferior one, eh? haha

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i'll be sure to read closer next time so as to not confuse the two. i'm guessing i was mid in the inferior one, eh? haha

Yeah, sorry dude; ANNAPOLIS >>>>>>>>>> Annapolis.

You sound like a perfect candidate for NROTC. The scholarship will pay for your entire college plus a nice stipend. The great thing is that you can get out after a year (even after your first summer cruise) with no obligation and with no penalty.

I was gung-ho about going to the military, but after reading the mil-med forums and some rather disappointing experiences in ROTC , I reconsidered my decision. Unfortunately, I went an extra semester after my 1-year leniency and now I have to go through a lot of paperwork and risk of getting forced into active duty to get released from my contract. Not fun. Still, if you stay within that 1-year periods (up until the first day of Sophomore year) you are released with no hassle whatsoever. A sizable portion drop after the freshman year. Surprisingly, like in my case, it seems to be the most academic ones or the ones who were really hard working and got burnt out because ROTC is always willing to give you more work than you can handle. It's not meaningful work either. Expect to be thoroughly irritated. Also, if you take more than 13 hours, expect to see your grades suffer. Most people in ROTC end up switching their majors to something nontechnical or that is notoriously easy so they just earn their degree and commission. These are the same persons who will end up as your student officers and not understand when too much is simply too much because they don't know what a difficult class is.

With all that said, there are people who've enlisted after college and still went on to go to college afterwards. There are reasons for enlisting in the military despite what people have said here, but you seem to be going in for all the wrong reasons.

You're not going to get good advice from a bunch of pre-meds. I think it would be better to go on the non-trads forum. You'll probably find plenty of prior-enlistees there.

Also, if you want to get one perspective on mil med, go to the mil med forum on SDN.

Best of luck in your decision.

Also, please don't bash the military if you have no experience with it.

Also, please don't bash the military if you have no experience with it.

dude, there are plenty of people on SDN (and on this very thread... :eek: ) that have been or currently serve in the MILITARY (better now, right? :laugh: ). personally, i think (and MANY MANY people can back me up on this) that the best thing to do get your undergrad first as a civilian. if you really still like the military then, go for the health corps scholarship... DO NOT ENLIST (not a bash on non-comms). if you want to be a DOCTOR (and i assume you do), enlisting is not the way to go. they're really good at keeping you in enlisted ranks (i know because as an ANNAPOLIS :)laugh: ) grad, i've been involved in re-enlisting many of my sailors).

i really thinks OP still needs to figure just what he wants in life, and he needs to be free of commitments to really learn about himself. putting him in a situation where he is legally bound by a contract is not the way to foster introspection.

again, i am NAVY, so i can say whatever the hell i want about the military (i think the phrase is "i have room to talk ****) :smuggrin:

Don't listen to most of these people. They most likely have no military experience and are basing their arguments on speculation alone. I was in the Army. If you really want to enhance your medical career, there are better ways of doing it. There is a small possibility the navy will train you as a medic. You can find out your MOS choices after passing your physical exam. That's when they will tell you what you qualify to do in the navy based on your test scores. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING UNLESS YOU'RE SURE. If you have limited military experience and it sounds like you have none, I'd recommend joining the reserves. It's far less demanding than active duty, but I must warn you that military life is far more difficult than civilian life. Most importantly, don't listen to the recruiters because they will say anything to get you to join it's their job, and they will paint you a picture of military life that is a pure fantasy. The truth is that no amount of money can pay for that amount of work. The service can help you with things like discipline, leadership skills, work ethic, and general ass kicking. However, if you want to kick ass, you should consider the Army instead of the Navy :D.

if you want to kick ass, you should consider the army instead of the navy :D.

ah, a little interservice competitive comraderie. i love it! all i have to say is....

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY! :p

Oy, sorry I read the posts wrong while I was skimming. I thought people were bemoaning the quality of experience from military leadership.

Anyways, I wasn't referring to you (phantom) in the first place. You certainly know more about the Navy more than I with your fleet experience.

I can't believe how many people are taking this thread seriously

before you join the navy, i reccomend going to the salvation army and buying a pair of white bellbottoms and tryin those suckers out for a few days. surprisingly, they are not as cool as they sound (they're actually kinda dumb looking).

before you join the navy, i reccomend going to the salvation army and buying a pair of white bellbottoms and tryin those suckers out for a few days. surprisingly, they are not as cool as they sound (they're actually kinda dumb looking).
:lol: :lol: :lol: hahaha