Should I just quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutari

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, new poster here... not one to post on forums usually, but I really need some help.

I'm still a first year medical student, just finished first semester and have exams coming up soon. Getting into this course was everything up to a couple of months ago - this time last year, it was everything I was aiming for - I was thrilled when the results came in (I can faintly recall that ecstatic feeling *sigh*)

It's shocking how everything's changed since then - I am feeling completely de-motivated, have no confidence whatsoever, feel so stupid next to my peers - some of which already talk like doctors, they're absolute geniuses I swear. I feel so ignorant during lectures/anatomy lab/CTSes (tutorials our Uni has, where we discuss cases etc) - most of the things I study I don't remember, some things I don't even understand! The bulk of work we have to study is just too much really, I saw this coming, and truthfully speaking, I enjoy what I'm studying - but how on Earth do they expect us to recall all of this on the spot, after 3-4 months? Of course, 20% of the class seems to have a photographic memory (Just my luck)

I feel on the verge of giving up, and am currently looking into other courses (none of which appeal to me). Looking through some forum posts on here, I feel slightly reassured, MD1 seems to be tough to adjust and I get it. I just really don't know whether it's worth hanging on to. I'm not going to lie, I was a straight A student, even in pre-med, I went to second best pre-med college (we call them sixth forms here haha) - with my grades, not with my parents' money, I felt like I deserved my spot in the course, but now, I'm not so sure

I need your thoughts on this guys :(

Members don't see this ad.

Felt the exact same way. I thought I was dumb, thought I didn't belong with all these geniuses, and seriously considered quitting. Then I did well on step 1, enjoyed third year more than not and now I figure I'm not so bad. Fake it til you make it bro

Reactions: 35 users
Felt the exact same way. I thought I was dumb, thought I didn't belong with all these geniuses, and seriously considered quitting. Then I did well on step 1, enjoyed third year more than not and now I figure I'm not so bad. Fake it til you make it bro

Hahah thanks! It's extremely reassuring knowing that someone who felt the same way is doing well now :) Seems like the end of the world at the moment, but I figure it'll get better with time

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahah thanks! It's extremely reassuring knowing that someone who felt the same way is doing well now :) Seems like the end of the world at the moment, but I figure it'll get better with time

Pretty much everyone feels the same way. Everyone likes to show their best self to others and hide their insecurities.

Also, no M1 "talks like a doctor". You're all idiots (relatively).

Reactions: 19 users
Pretty much everyone feels the same way. Everyone likes to show their best self to others and hide their insecurities.

Also, no M1 "talks like a doctor". You're all idiots (relatively).

That's what I think too - the self-esteem of some people is just.. wow -.-

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I think too - the self-esteem of some people is just.. wow -.-
The people who feel the same way as you aren't broadcasting it. It sounds like you are in the UK but in the USA we have a term called "gunners." These are people who act smarter than they are for the sake of undermining their peers or looking relatively better than them. As people rise through the ranks that behavior is less tolerated. We need doctors who don't act like know-it-alls so stick with it.

Reactions: 1 users
The first two years suck. Plain and simple. Third year still sucks in it's own way, but it's 1000 times better than the pre-clinical years. If you can, just put your head down, ignore your peers, and push through. Once Step 1 is over and the lectures are behind you and you can actually learn how to be a doctor you'll be glad you did.

Reactions: 7 users
Get thee to a therapist, stat.

And yes, it's worth it.

Hey Guys, new poster here... not one to post on forums usually, but I really need some help.

I'm still a first year medical student, just finished first semester and have exams coming up soon. Getting into this course was everything up to a couple of months ago - this time last year, it was everything I was aiming for - I was thrilled when the results came in (I can faintly recall that ecstatic feeling *sigh*)

It's shocking how everything's changed since then - I am feeling completely de-motivated, have no confidence whatsoever, feel so stupid next to my peers - some of which already talk like doctors, they're absolute geniuses I swear. I feel so ignorant during lectures/anatomy lab/CTSes (tutorials our Uni has, where we discuss cases etc) - most of the things I study I don't remember, some things I don't even understand! The bulk of work we have to study is just too much really, I saw this coming, and truthfully speaking, I enjoy what I'm studying - but how on Earth do they expect us to recall all of this on the spot, after 3-4 months? Of course, 20% of the class seems to have a photographic memory (Just my luck)

I feel on the verge of giving up, and am currently looking into other courses (none of which appeal to me). Looking through some forum posts on here, I feel slightly reassured, MD1 seems to be tough to adjust and I get it. I just really don't know whether it's worth hanging on to. I'm not going to lie, I was a straight A student, even in pre-med, I went to second best pre-med college (we call them sixth forms here haha) - with my grades, not with my parents' money, I felt like I deserved my spot in the course, but now, I'm not so sure

I need your thoughts on this guys :(

Professional counseling could be good to help you sort it all out.

Hang in there, sister. Don't give up without a fight. You put in a lot of energy and $ to get this far. Would hate to see you do something you regret down the road.

Overwhelmed by the support :happy: Sure is a breath of fresh air after all the competitive-ness in class, and people sucking up to lecturers and showing off - just to make you feel bad about yourself I guess. Thanks to all :)

Reactions: 5 users
You'll be fine. First year is both extremely difficult to adjust to and very not representative of medicine and your future studies. I didn't fully adjust to being a medical student until I was about six weeks into my second year, up until then it was nothing but anxiety and insecurity 24/7. Now things are pretty good. You'll find your stride. A lot of the things you worry about remembering are either so unimportant you won't see them again, or are important enough you'll see them so many times that they'll visit you in your dreams, so don't sweat it. And remember to have some fun every now and again and to destress regularly to keep yourself from melting down, a little bit of free time goes a long way in preclinical.

Reactions: 6 users
I will tell you definitely do not just quit, especially if you don't have an equal back up plan. Pre-clinical curriculum absolutely blows; no way around that. It is absolutely possible to turn things around if you want to be at the top of the pack. Good luck.

First semester was my hardest semester. Things have gotten a lot better since then, including my performance in school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
See a counselor and hang in there! Don't feel like you're not up to the task, especially if you've been passing all of your coursework. In my experience some of the ones who act like know-it-alls in public aren't actually as awesome as they like people to think they are.

some of the ones who act like know-it-alls in public aren't actually as awesome as they like people to think they are.
Yup. The top people in my class are super humble and rarely speak in class unless they have a legitimate question.

If you're ever considering quitting doing anything in life the answer is almost always no... Don't quit however don't fail to change an aspect of your life. Consider attending counseling or therapy to just talk about how you're feeling similar to how you posted here, a professional will absolutely be able to help you.

get some mental health counseling and just know you aren't remotely alone...

stick with it

Agree 1st semester was the hardest for myself and most if my classmates.

Don't forget that some of those geniuses are more than likely blowhards compensating in some way. They're just faking it better than you are at the moment. I remember listening to conversations just like that thinking everything my fellow students were saying was way beyond my pay grade. Sometimes it is; sometimes people just like to hear themselves talk. With the right amount of confidence, they sound incredibly intelligent

I went through a similar period man. I'm pretty sure a majority of students go through something similar. We all bust our ass to get to where we are and then bust our assess even more with more on the line, more debt, if you fail out, what do you do? etc. Getting into school just increases the stress. We have similar people at my school to. There's a few people who constantly talk about their grades and how well they're doing, saying crap like "Oh I could just get a zero on this test and still get the required test average". It's annoying, but just worry about yourself, try to do the best you can on boards and try to find some enjoyment from the later years.

Unfortunately, what you are feeling is totally normal. I remember I felt so discouraged and one time I vented to my preceptor (we work with primary care MDs in the community for the first 2 years). I told her I didn't understand how I spent all of my time studying and other people worked out, cooked, looked great, and still managed to get good grades. She (a young attending that went to my med school) said "it's all a front, they probably cry themselves to sleep." While meant as a joke, the point was that a lot of people put up a front of "having it all together." If you like the material you are in the right place. You BELONG. Trust that and keep on trucking'. You've got this!!! :highfive::nod:

Thank you so much to everyone!

what I would do during anatomy lab was have all the "geniuses" stroke their egos and point out all the necessary anatomical structures I couldn't find lol. You gotta deal with them so outsmart them and use them for your own benefit. everyone wins.

what I would do during anatomy lab was have all the "geniuses" stroke their egos and point out all the necessary anatomical structures I couldn't find lol. You gotta deal with them so outsmart them and use them for your own benefit. everyone wins.
Sounds like an unhealthy way of looking at things. There were people in my class that were better than me at anatomy. They were good people, and I'd just pop in to ask questions if I had no ****ing clue what was going on, and was thankful for their help in figuring out up from down on the messes that were our student dissected cadavers. No "dealing with" or "use" of people, just, you know, supporting each other through the hell that was general anatomy (and the rest of school).

There's a nice tip for you, OP. If you want school to be more survivable, try and find a cooperative group of people that aren't out to cut one another down. There's too much of that at many other schools, and you'll find things to be much more bearable working with a supportive team than you will as a lonely island that's at war with every other island around them.

Late to the party here, but whoever said "fake it till you make it" is right on the money. That is exactly what I did. I didn't have a clue on probably the majority of questions I was ever asked. But when it came time to test, I managed decently passing grades. Never was a rock star, but it doesn't take a rock star to become a doctor. It just takes someone with enough grit to hold their head down and power through the hell that is med school. Don't worry about your classmates. You're just as smart as they are. And if some are smarter, who cares? That won't prevent you from becoming a doc. Just pass the tests...

Regardless of how dumb you may feel, take solace in the fact that none of your classmates actually sound like doctors after 1 semester of med school. They may sound impressive to you, but that's just because they're arrogant while you're actually aware that you're 1/8th of a doctor.