Should I keep up with anki after Step1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You're My Boy Blue

Second Time's a Charm
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took STEP1 on Friday and am wondering if I should keep up with my anki decks. Will they help for shelf exams and STEP2? Is it better for me to suspend these decks and start new ones when MS3 comes around? I use Zanki and Pepper deck.

Members don't see this ad.

I was planning to have it for reference and try the step2 decks and do UWORLD with it.

There is some definite carry over but you may do better with more step2/ms3 decks.

I was wondering this too OP.

Specifically I was wondering if it would be a good idea to at least keep up with the bugs/drugs & review pathology decks as necessary.

Are there any areas that carry over moreso than others @LyMed

Interested mainly b/c I'm a dummy & rely entirely on Anki for my long-term memory & feel like I would lose it all if I stopped.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering this too OP.

Specifically I was wondering if it would be a good idea to at least keep up with the bugs/drugs & review pathology decks as necessary.

Are there any areas that carry over moreso than others @LyMed

Interested mainly b/c I'm a dummy & rely entirely on Anki for my long-term memory & feel like I would lose it all if I stopped.
I'm MS3 half way through 3rd year, but still need to pass my step 1 (I'm DO). So from what I can tell shelf exams can still use bugs and drugs knowledge for sure. However, emphasis is less on mechanism and more on treatment and management. That been said still a lot of same bugs and drugs. Still a lot of same pathology too. Shelf like Psychiatry are heavy on drugs. IM, Peds and Family still has lots of bugs and drugs.
However, MS3 and step 2 specific decks are still better and they have all those bugs and drugs anyway, so... no IMHO it's time to let it go lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Zanki Step 2 actually has some step 1 stuff built in. In short, it won’t hurt you to continue with it, but at this point, a lot of it is way beyond what you’re required to know. If anything, know your bug-drug stuff, anatomy for surgery, and acid-base stuff because it never goes away. Pharm in general is useful. Don’t ever be stunned with what you can be pimped on.