Should I major in politics or biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one?

• Total voters

StormInTheSky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tell me what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A year ago I would tell you to major in politics but things have changed for the worst for us non-hard science majors sadly (I was a psych major). Not only has biochem been added to the MCAT material that non-science majors will have to squeeze in but numerous prestigious schools have added upper biology courses as a pre-req to admissions. I feel like this is definitely the wrong direction that admissions is taking as it's just going to reduce the educational diversity of their class...on a good note I did crush the social sciences section of my MCAT.

El Curandero

Reactions: 1 user
Major in whatever interests you that you can do well in. Med schools care about your GPA, not your major. So don't worry about impressing them with your major, worry about impressing them with the highest GPA you can muster! Even with the addition of biochem to the list of prereqs, I still don't see any reason that you shouldn't be able to hack it as a non-science major. As for having a major AND a minor, again, that's up to you. If you can manage to do both, get a solid GPA, and fulfill all your prereqs, that's great. But keep in mind that med schools aren't going cut you any slack for having a major and a minor - so I would only go this route if you're sure you can do well.

As for the MCAT, obviously, even if you major in politics, you'll still need to take your prereqs. These classes (along with dedicated MCAT prep) will help you prepare for the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school I basically earned a chem minor just by taking the pre-reqs. I am also a psych major with philosophy minor. I only had the most basic biology but did well on the MCAT.

It depends on a few of things.

1) Are you committed to a pre-med track? If you end up deciding not to do med school, neither politics or biology is going to be great for your future career prospects (I say this as someone who double majored in biochem/polysci).
2) How good are the programs at your school? If one of the programs is more highly regarded than the other, try and make that one your major.
3) How do you plan on spinning your application to med school? Generally, I feel like more "unique" majors are better if you want to paint yourself as that "special snowflake" to adcoms. I tell people during apps/interviews that I'm interested in health policy, and my polysci major helps lend weight to this assertion.

I don't think not being a bio major will make you any less prepared for the mcat, to be honest. You are going to study your ass off regardless of what major you are.

Thanks to everyone who commented so far, you're all very helpful.

Last edited:
Let me ask you want you want to get out of a politics (assuming political science degree). If you want to work on campaigns, then use that as an EC. Otherwise at many schools it is heavy on analysis and statistics. many that work in politics do not major in poli sci. If you don't go into medicine, what are your goals?

Medical schools don't give a crap about what you major in. Major in what ever interests you more. Your passions are what they care about. And your GPA. No med school has ever said, "oh lets admit this kid because he majored in politics (or biology)!!!"

If you study hard enough, you don't need to be a bio major to ace the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone. I know what to do now

Last edited:
Don't be worried about not doing too well on the MCAT, prep books will have all you need to do well. I'm a history major myself, took the MCAT having completed only half of my prereqs and still did well (100th percentile).

Major in whatever interests you that you can do well in. Med schools care about your GPA, not your major. So don't worry about impressing them with your major, worry about impressing them with the highest GPA you can muster!

Hi OP. Came here to reiterate this. I am actually a Political Science major and having interned for multiple Congressmen and women (until learning politics isn't about helping constituents) so we are in the same boat. It interests me and my grades will be better with PS than bio, so here I am. An important thing to remember is that stats > everything in this game.

Also, I've heard whispers from the hills of ADCOMs pursuing humanities majors more, as they wish to mold physicians into people who are not just bookworms, but also people who can maintain a great patient-physician relationship. Food for thought. Join me on the journey. Come to the Dark side. We can teach you many, many things...

I'm just a political junkie (kinda obsessed lol), but I don't think a career in anything to do with politics is for me. It's just an interest.

Thank you everyone. You're all right, I should stop thinking of adcoms and the entrance exams.
Maybe don't get a degree in something you wouldn't want a career in. I'd pick a degree that would lead to a fulfilling career for you. Just in case medicine doesn't work out as planned at least a happy career is a nice plan b.

My fears for pursuing a bio major: I'm currently taking intro to bio, and I'm mostly doing well because my instructors post videos of the lectures online. Obviously that won't be the case for advanced bio courses. Also, I fear that sticking to bio will strip me of individuality, and studying politics can make me more interesting, especially since the extracurricular activities I want to get into have humanitarian and political aspects (for instance UNICEF).

My fears for pursuing a politics major: I have a strong interest in politics, but I'm scared that if I major in politics, I won't be as prepared for the bio section on the MCAT (or the PCAT, OAT, DAT, etc). Also, maybe being a bio major is more impressive.

I could minor in bio, however, which basically means I'll take a year of Molecular & Cell Biology but none of the bio electives (most of these electives I would have to take senior year anyway, which if I don't take a year off, is past when I'll be taking the MCAT). Or, I can just major in bio and minor in politics.

Tell me what you think, because I have to start thinking about what I'm taking next year. Please help!!!!

Why not dual major?