should I mention this extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Someone with a better grasp of the application process or with a similar experience please take over....but I'm inclined to say absolutely not.

The only (unlikely) scenario I see is one in which you make it seem like you're dwelling on the loss to the point where it's compromising your potential as a prospective student/physician. But the experience should be widely received as positive despite the results.

I got involved with the student congress and it was the reason I became heavily involved later on in every area of leadership. recently I loved the organization and the change we were making, and i ran for student body president and lost the election. I wanted to mention how student congress impacted me to seek higher and more profound leadership by running for such position, but i lost. is there a negative consequence of mentioning it?
Mention the involvement in the student congress up to the point of losing the election. Save the loss for discussion in a common Secondary prompt, like Discuss a failure/stress and how you handled it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone with a better grasp of the application process or with a similar experience please take over....but I'm inclined to say absolutely not.

The only (unlikely) scenario I see is one in which you make it seem like you're dwelling on the loss to the point where it's compromising your potential as a prospective student/physician. But the experience should be widely received as positive despite the results.

oh so your "absolutely not" is for the in text question?

Mention the involvement in the student congress up to the point of losing the election. Save the loss for discussion in a common Secondary prompt, like Discuss a failure/stress and how you handled it.

I like that. I could even talk about it in interview if im asked to talk about such a thing perhaps?

oh so your "absolutely not" is for the in text question?
Absolutely won't be seen as a negative. Although I like the other contributor's advice about mentioning the experience and only mentioning the loss/what you've learned when prompted in an essay or interview.