should i postpone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acherona

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think I'm ******ed. 12 days ago I took NBME 2 and got a 214. After some hard-core studying, I took NBME 3 and got a 219. This is really depressing. I'm supposed to take the test in 9 days. I've been studying nonstop since school got out about 2 1/2 weeks ago. During school, I had started Uworld, read over RR path, HY neuro, some micro, and a good portion of FA. I kinda was hoping I could end up with a 230+ as I haven't decided on a specialty. If I push my test back it will be during my psych rotation since I start school july 23. Supposedly it is a chill rotation and you get out at like 4pm. But I wonder if I will really have enough time to study, and if I will forget everything I learned. Plus, I'm wondering if I have hit a plateau and maybe my brain can't retain enough detail to push it up anymore. Why does everyone say not to push it back, do people usually end up doing worse? I hate hate this test, it is ruining my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely get it over with before you start your clinical rotations. Just work hard for the next week, try not to stress too much, and go into the exam rested and confident. I'd say that with the time you have left and your current NBME scores you could reasonably get a 230. That's my opinion. Good luck!

You probably do worse if you take it during psych rotation.

You need to focus and only focus on this test. Even after 1 or 2 days of not studying after the test, I could already tell my score would have degraded.

By the time you take the test, you should be like an athlete at your peak.

you can push it back a couple of days, but I'd take it before your rotation. (Scores go up the most during the last week or so anyway.)

good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
DEFINITELY DO NOT TAKE THE TEST WHILE ON ROTATION!

Your grade can only go DOWN if you do this...

For one, you will only get barely half a day to study each day, at BEST...

And you will begin to forget material that you learned as you will spend most of your days working and thinking about your rotation....

I took my test 2 days into my rotation and that was my maximum. I would NEVER have pushed it further... even spending one day on the rotation almost caused me to lose focus....

So I think I'm ******ed. 12 days ago I took NBME 2 and got a 214. After some hard-core studying, I took NBME 3 and got a 219. This is really depressing. I'm supposed to take the test in 9 days. I've been studying nonstop since school got out about 2 1/2 weeks ago. During school, I had started Uworld, read over RR path, HY neuro, some micro, and a good portion of FA. I kinda was hoping I could end up with a 230+ as I haven't decided on a specialty. If I push my test back it will be during my psych rotation since I start school july 23. Supposedly it is a chill rotation and you get out at like 4pm. But I wonder if I will really have enough time to study, and if I will forget everything I learned. Plus, I'm wondering if I have hit a plateau and maybe my brain can't retain enough detail to push it up anymore. Why does everyone say not to push it back, do people usually end up doing worse? I hate hate this test, it is ruining my life.

I wouldn't push your test off if that involves taking it during a rotation. You'll be distracted and exhausted from the new environment. I'm on a 9-5 rotation at a fairly busy site and I come home EXHAUSTED and need at least an hour or two at home before I can think of doing anything other than sitting on the couch. If you are the same way it really won't help your mindset going into the exam.

If you feel your scores are going to close some doors that are really important to you, call your dean's office and discuss putting the rotation off. If you will be ok with where you are scoring, just take the exam.

There are a number of people on SDN who scored average on their Step 1 and are doing wonderful things in residency (in some very competitive residencies) so an average Step 1 score is NOT the end of your dream career.

:luck:

I am sympathetic to your situation... not good.

I would try to push back your psych vacation (possibly taking it during your vacation time or during fourth year). That is the best thing and in the long run, even though it could mess up your third year schedule a bit, you might be happier if you get the score you want.

If you are not flipping out and can just buckle down and focus, and get a lot of work done now, I would consider just trying to plow through the material, study a ton, do high yield stuff, etc. Make sure you know all the main points, focus on FA, don't worry about Qbank's random micro/pharm questions as much.

Absolutely I agree with what everyone wrote above -- you can't take it during rotations, that is the worst thing for the score, and it will be miserable.

And if you end up pushing back psych, I would really take a little vacation to chill out before you get back to it...

OK sooo I was in the same boat about a week ago and decided to postpone my date by one day.... only one day, and today (5 days before my test I am regreting it) Those NBME exams often under dog your actual score... bust out some questions do a self analysis of your weaknesses review those hardcore and DEF finish FA... good luck.

Thanks for the input guys. I did however decide to postpone for a number of reasons. One is that I didn't think i'd have enough time to cram the last week due to other things I had to take care of before starting school. Also, there are actually many people in my class who took this test during clinicals (we start in 2nd year) so I know it can be done. They just studied during breakfast/lunch/dinner and while on the pot. My score will probably stagnate (I don't see why it would go down if I study every day) but at least I will not have the "what if" feeling.

I think my mistake was taking that NBME which freaked me out. I'm not taking another one.