Should I prioritize my ECs or MCAT as of right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my current ECs:
cGPA: 3.487
sGPA:3.28

Research: 160 hrs (by the end of this sem.) of research on organisms of the synthesis of rRNA and how it is exquisitely regulated with respect to the physiological state of the cell.
Shadowing: Shadowing a DO and should have 64 hrs by the end of this semester. I also plan to get a LOR from him.
Volunteer: About 100 hrs volunteering at a hospital, (again, by the end of this semester).
Community service: a number of undocumented hours with service clubs like HOSA, Helping Hands, etc.
Other: Residential Senator for Student Government Association, HOSA member, NHS, Helping Hands, Asian Student Association,etc.

If I study for the MCAT this May, I wont have time to make a big upgrade on my current ECs because of school being in the way as well. Are my ECs right now good enough for me to go ahead and just focus on my May MCAT, or should I strictly try to make a big improvement on my ECs and LORS for this semester, turn in my primary by June, and just use the whole summer to study for the July 30 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here are my current ECs:
cGPA: 4.487
sGPA:3.28

Research: 160 hrs (by the end of this sem.) of research on organisms of the synthesis of rRNA and how it is exquisitely regulated with respect to the physiological state of the cell.
Shadowing: Shadowing a DO and should have 64 hrs by the end of this semester. I also plan to get a LOR from him.
Volunteer: About 100 hrs volunteering at a hospital, (again, by the end of this semester).
Community service: a number of undocumented hours with service clubs like HOSA, Helping Hands, etc.
Other: Residential Senator for Student Government Association, HOSA member, NHS, Helping Hands, Asian Student Association,etc.

If I study for the MCAT this May, I wont have time to make a big upgrade on my current ECs because of school being in the way as well. Are my ECs right now good enough for me to go ahead and just focus on my May MCAT, or should I strictly try to make a big improvement on my ECs and LORS for this semester, turn in my primary by June, and just use the whole summer to study for the July 30 MCAT?

Focus on the MCAT, it's weighted heavier than your ECs. I think the ECs you have on file are plenty (You've doubled my EC hours!). Again, the MCAT is EXTREMELY important.

You don't need any more EC's. Study for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I do end up studying the MCAT (S2dner's plan), i'll end up having a total of only 30 hours or so for hospital volunteering since I wont be able to get to my 100 hrs goal by the end of the semester..just mentioning.

i agree without a doubt....study for the mcat, and get LORs from professors and doctors. your ECs seem adequate.

If I do end up studying the MCAT (S2dner's plan), i'll end up having a total of only 30 hours or so for hospital volunteering since I wont be able to get to my 100 hrs goal by the end of the semester..just mentioning.

You can spend more time for EC after you take your MCAT.

Definitely still go for the MCAT. Doing well on the test and taking it earlier will be more beneficial to your app. You can always do EC's this summer after the test and send letters updating what you've done so far. Just my opinion though. Goodluck.

30 hours of volunteering is fine. That's what I had and I had no problem getting into schools and I was never even asked about why I only had 30 hours. Just make sure you can explain what effect that 30 hours had on you. If you came away with a good experience then you are golden. Quality over quantity.

Damn I was really hoping yall would say EC lol...time to buckle down I guess!

Department of redundancy department chiming in:

MCAT

You can do more ECs after you take it, schedule some full-timeish volunteering in the summer and you can put it on your secondaries or an update log.

Yea like everyone else has said, DEF MCAT, your EC's are pretty good, shadow a DO after the mcat and you should be good.

I'm actually out of school now so I get to do both. I am taking the MCAT in April hopefully and am also currently shaddowing, Volunteering at a hospital and a nursing home. I hope to work in a doctors office or something like that to get some clinical experience after the MCAT and squeeze that in on to my AACOMAS as well.