Should I pursue the DPM/MBA dual degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footdr85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am starting podiatry school in the fall and was accepted into the DPM/MBA dual degree program at Barry. I was wondering if any current students are pursuing the dual degree or know how useful the dual degree would be? Any information would be extremely helpful as I don't want to overload myself if it's not do-able.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am starting podiatry school in the fall and was accepted into the DPM/MBA dual degree program at Barry. I was wondering if any current students are pursuing the dual degree or know how useful the dual degree would be? Any information would be extremely helpful as I don't want to overload myself if it's not do-able.

Thank you!

I could not think of a more useful dual degree program.:thumbup:

I could not think of a more useful dual degree program.:thumbup:

hmmm... i think mph and jd are also important but you have to consider one thing...

--will this get u to what/where u want to do/be in your career. i cant imagine the pain and financial expense of doing 2 degrees if you have no purpose for them. dont just get degrees just to add letters after your last name. the mba/mph/phd/etc should just pave the way to what u want to do.

if you like hospital/clinic health administration and business, hell, go for that mba!

Members don't see this ad :)
although I am a pre-pod....i don't think the MBA thing is a good idea, unless you have specific goals in mind. It is has been discussed on these forums before, and I felt the consensus was the an MHA was much more useful. The letters after your name won't help you as much as the knowledge will help you. I have dicussed this topic at great length with current DMU MHA students as well as two pods who run great pod offices. I am going to cherry pick the MHA classes to get the education that would be relevant to setting up and running your own business. of course common sense, business sense, knowledge of podiatric medicine, treatment of people correctly, and just plain luck are all crucial to setting up/running a good practice

hmmm... i think mph and jd are also important but you have to consider one thing...

--will this get u to what/where u want to do/be in your career. i cant imagine the pain and financial expense of doing 2 degrees if you have no purpose for them. dont just get degrees just to add letters after your last name. the mba/mph/phd/etc should just pave the way to what u want to do.

if you like hospital/clinic health administration and business, hell, go for that mba!

Okay, you have some good points about where your interest lies, and i never considered the MPH, but the point is that there is more to running a medical business than just being a doctor.

However, any dual degree program would be extremely challenging, so i guess the real question is, is it worth it? For me the answer is no, but if you are a very bright student whom loves a challenge than i would say go for it.