Should I quit a kennel tech position I just started

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daniellec

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I just started a new job, I’ve only worked 2 weeks and I’m already wanting to quit. It’s at a clinic that also does boarding, and I was hired as kennel tech. I knew when being hired that we took care of the boarded dogs while also cleaning and helping and was fine with it. What I wasn’t told is that average number of dogs being boarded at once is 20+ with it already being at 40 dogs two days last week. I also wasn’t told that there was only 1 kennel staff working per shift and we would be expected to walk all these dogs (twice), feed them, clean kennels, clean the clinic, assist in grooming, assist with procedures, restock the clinic, do laundry, clean exam rooms, and basically whatever else the vet asks us to do. My issue isn’t with the work per say, I’m fine doing all of that, it’s more with the amount and my safety. They do no temperament testing with these dogs and will not ban anyone from boarding until they actually attack someone. On my third shift a dog I was putting back in the kennel turned and actually attacked me. He lunged at my face and I had to kick him off, but he bit my arm and it’s solid bruises and several areas of torn muscle, plus he actually bit my pinky finger almost to the bone where I needed 12 stitches. The clinic was very apologetic and said they would start banning certain aggressive dogs, but then I came back a week later and several of the ones I was told were banned were back bc the owner doesn’t want to loose their money. She also wants the kennels completely full which is stressful to the dogs and us, and honestly I don’t feel safe with many of these dogs. FOUR dogs cornered/tried to bite people Friday and the vet tech just shrugged it off and moved them to kennels where they can be run in and out. And I can just see it getting worse the longer I’m there. I guess I’m just asking if people think I’d be right to quit this position even though I’ve only been there two weeks, and how much notice should I give? The clinic feels like a ticking tome bomb and a lawsuit waiting to happen

Members don't see this ad.

Tbh I’d quit if you are getting attacked by animals to the point that you are getting stitches.
Check the laws of your state. Some are at will states where you can quit without any notice, which while not ideal, may be better for your safety so you don’t have to spend two more weeks dealing with these animals. Generally you’d give two weeks notice, but if you and others are getting seriously hurt and these animals are still allowed to come back, I wouldn’t fault you for not wanting to spend two more weeks of your state doesn’t have laws against it.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep does not sound like it will get better for you. If you are at will as Skiotter said you can quit without notice, the only consideration is if you believe it will affect your ability to get a job in the future. It shouldn't...

But I mention this because I did something very simar when i was working for a veterinary corporation. The position was heavily misrepresented, I was a glorified janitor. The techs did not care about providing hands on opportunities for me. And the shift was said to be 8 hours, but was actually 12. They were able to let me go after 10 but not earlier. It was overnight and I had school in the mirning, realized I couldn't work there and stay on top of school and cried before work every day.
So I left withot notice after only 2 weeks, but now would not be comfortable to try to work for that corporation again.

I will say I believe it was the right decision

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! So I just started a new job, I’ve only worked 2 weeks and I’m already wanting to quit. It’s at a clinic that also does boarding, and I was hired as kennel tech. I knew when being hired that we took care of the boarded dogs while also cleaning and helping and was fine with it. What I wasn’t told is that average number of dogs being boarded at once is 20+ with it already being at 40 dogs two days last week. I also wasn’t told that there was only 1 kennel staff working per shift and we would be expected to walk all these dogs (twice), feed them, clean kennels, clean the clinic, assist in grooming, assist with procedures, restock the clinic, do laundry, clean exam rooms, and basically whatever else the vet asks us to do. My issue isn’t with the work per say, I’m fine doing all of that, it’s more with the amount and my safety. They do no temperament testing with these dogs and will not ban anyone from boarding until they actually attack someone. On my third shift a dog I was putting back in the kennel turned and actually attacked me. He lunged at my face and I had to kick him off, but he bit my arm and it’s solid bruises and several areas of torn muscle, plus he actually bit my pinky finger almost to the bone where I needed 12 stitches. The clinic was very apologetic and said they would start banning certain aggressive dogs, but then I came back a week later and several of the ones I was told were banned were back bc the owner doesn’t want to loose their money. She also wants the kennels completely full which is stressful to the dogs and us, and honestly I don’t feel safe with many of these dogs. FOUR dogs cornered/tried to bite people Friday and the vet tech just shrugged it off and moved them to kennels where they can be run in and out. And I can just see it getting worse the longer I’m there. I guess I’m just asking if people think I’d be right to quit this position even though I’ve only been there two weeks, and how much notice should I give? The clinic feels like a ticking tome bomb and a lawsuit waiting to happen
Every part of this sounds desperately unsafe and I would get out of that as fast as possible. That is not enough staff to provide attention and care to that number of dogs (at all, let alone safely - current recommendations for shelters off the top of my head is 15 mins/staff time per animal and that's just for basic care).

The bite you have described is severe and in my city/state would have been enough for an animal control agency to file serious bodily injury charges against the owners. It isn't just unacceptable for your employer to put you in a position to have received that bite in the first place, it's incredibly unsafe - and callous to keep allowing these animals to continue to board and keep putting you in this position.

Reactions: 3 users
Man.. walking, feeding, cleaning kennels for 40 dogs by yourself would take several hours AT LEAST. I used to walk ~20ish dogs for my clinic when i worked as a kennel and that was with another kennel attendant and that STILL took over an hour to do...let alone you were injured on top of that with no support or compensation for your boss. I’d get out of there asap.

Safety first. I'm honestly surprised they haven't been reported for safety violations.

It takes 1 kennel tech 3 hours to do ~20 kennels (after overnight) that have 2-4 dogs in them (thorough deep clean with kennel break down and everything) in my family's store. That's over 1/3 of their shift in just initial cleaning alone. What you're describing with dangerous dogs on top of all of that is simply impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone who offered advice! I have an interview at another clinic tomorrow that I’m hopeful about as I know them personally and that they run much better than the one I’m currently at. I was planning on giving 1-2 weeks notice, but just now decided to just quit. I actually had a nightmare about work tomorrow and then an anxiety attack about the dogs I know are currently there and dealing with them. I think this is one time I trust my gut even though I know it’s not necessarily professional to leave without notice. I’ll probably call in sick tomorrow and then send an email resigning that night since it’s several days until my next shift. Thanks again and wish me luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone who offered advice! I have an interview at another clinic tomorrow that I’m hopeful about as I know them personally and that they run much better than the one I’m currently at. I was planning on giving 1-2 weeks notice, but just now decided to just quit. I actually had a nightmare about work tomorrow and then an anxiety attack about the dogs I know are currently there and dealing with them. I think this is one time I trust my gut even though I know it’s not necessarily professional to leave without notice. I’ll probably call in sick tomorrow and then send an email resigning that night since it’s several days until my next shift. Thanks again and wish me luck!

You're in a right to work state? From what you've described, I definitely think it's appropriate to leave now. Your boss might not give you a great reference if he/she is upset about it, so be aware of that if this other clinic is going to call your current one.

Rather than calling in sick, I would probably just quit outright so they know they need to look for someone else.

In this scenario I think it is perfectly justifiable to not give the "proper" 1-2 weeks notice. Sounds like it has been a very unsafe and chaotic environment for you. If you're worried about what they may say as a reference, then simply don't put them down as a reference.