Should I re-apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmesos

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice on whether to reapply this upcoming cycle or go to international med school.

i graduated 2018 and am a texas resident. I have applied 3 times
i have taken the MCAT 3 times (old to most recent): 502, 507, 512
cgpa: 3.71
Sgpa: 3.6

i am currently a scribe for scribe america and have been working for the past 2 years. I have over 1500 hours scribing
For leadership:
I have been a volunteer coordinator for an all womens premed program, a community service coordinator
Awards:
I was a part of hosa and have awards from competing
Volunteering:
I volunteered at TCH and have only 50 hours
I don’t have any non medical community service hours
Shadowing:
40 hours of shadowing a pediatrician
Research:
I have research from germany and have a publication and presentation
I have been doing research at a hospital for the past year
for extra curriculars:
Filipino student association
Helping refugees move into new homes program
Intramural dodgeball

after graduating in 2018, i was accepted into teach for america but had to decline to care for my brother that next year due to sudden illness he develwhich is why i started scribing for scribe america instead

the only update to my application this cycle would be our submissions for research for 2 presentations and a manuscript that have yet to be accepted

idk if this is relevant either but i am getting tested to donate a kidney for my brother

the only things i see my application lacking is community service which it has been hard to find community service opportunities due to covid but i have applied to some programs

what do you think i should do? I have been considering going to international medical school for all 4 years, going there and trying to transfer back, or trying to reapply one last time this upcoming cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Before applying to international med schools, please consider a round of DO school applications. Your application before the scribe job was lacking in clinical experiences. When you write your essays next time, be sure to focus on your most recent activities and insights and leave out the high school stuff like HOSA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think my application is lacking too much for regular MD

how did you improve your MCAT so much?
If you are really desperate for MD I would consult with a company that helps with essay and app reviews-it seems your weakness is there.
Apply MD/DO/ and to a foreign school if you want that coveted "MD" so bad.

If you are really desperate for MD I would consult with a company that helps with essay and app reviews-it seems your weakness is there.
It’s not about the title for me. It’s more about what i have been hearing about how hard it is to branch out to the specialities i am interested in such as pediatric oncology or neonatal. I have heard that DOs can do that. But when i talk to medical advisors, they tell me it is especially harder to get into those programs as a DO

It’s not about the title for me. It’s more about what i have been hearing about how hard it is to branch out to the specialities i am interested in such as pediatric oncology or neonatal. I have heard that DOs can do that. But when i talk to medical advisors, they tell me it is especially harder to get into those programs as a DO
Advisors are notorious for being worthless. I know many DO's in oncology and certainly pediatrics. Do some research and you will see how wrong she/he is. Doing peds with a fellowship in oncology is dependent on YOU only. If you have good scores (which you are capable of) you should have no problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Also how i improved my MCAT was just through practice. I used Princeton books and Khan Academy and took many practice tests and tried my best to simulate the testing environment.

Last edited:
Specialties that are not DO friendly are not IMG friendly either from what I understand.

Reactions: 2 users
Beggars can't be choosy, and if you go the Caribbean route there's a 50-50 chance you will never be a doctor at all, plus be $300,000 in debt on top of that.

Yes it's harder for dios to get into the Uber Specialties. It is not impossible. Take a look at the match list in the deal for him and you'll find that it is definitely possible.

But just because doors are not close to MD graduates, that does not mean that you get to waltz through them.

Beggars can't be choosy, and if you go the Caribbean route there's a 50-50 chance you will never be a doctor at all, plus be $300,000 in debt on top of that.

Yes it's harder for dios to get into the Uber Specialties. It is not impossible. Take a look at the match list in the deal for him and you'll find that it is definitely possible.

But just because doors are not close to MD graduates, that does not mean that you get to waltz through them.
It would be a school in the Philippines, would that still be viewed the same as a school in the Caribbean?