Should I re-take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorwannabe5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Thanks for reading. My MCAT is a 507 (127,128,129,123), I have a 3.93 cGPA (it was a 3.91 last cycle). I got interviews and waitlisted for the two public IS MD schools that I applied to last year, their median MCAT scores are 509 and 504 according to MSAR. Reviewing my application, I believe that my weakness was a lack of paid-clinical experience. I recently landed a job as an ER scribe at my local hospital and I plan on doing more volunteering throughout my gap year.
1) Do y'all think re-taking the MCAT should also be on my agenda? I could take it late June and receive the scores late July.
2) Is it too late? Would receiving new scores as late as the end of July be worth it? I want to submit my primary ASAP as I wasn't complete until September last cycle.
3) I am worried that I cannot do better if I retake the MCAT. The first time I took it I made lower than a 507 on all practice exams, plus I had just finished taking orgo lab, biochem, and physiology courses. However, I have recently taken a sociology class due to my lower score in the last section, so that would possibly help out.
4) Should I consider applying to DO schools this round? I haven't put much consideration into this before now. If so, what schools would you recommend?

I need to decide ASAP so I can start studying again if I need to, so any advice helps. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to receive more than the 2 interviews at your state schools with your stats. I suggest applying to all these schools in early June and submit all your secondaries by July:
Your 2 Louisiana state public schools
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 6. You do not need to retake the MCAT unless you consistently score 510 or higher on practice exams.

Reactions: 1 user