Should I reapply yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williamiv4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I recently wrapped up my application season with no success (no interviews either). And while I think my obvious huge mistake was submitting my primary in October (DUMB!), I am considering applying this june and wondering whether or not to put it off another year. I am a senior at Stanford with a 3.6 and a 32Q MCAT (12, 11, 9 Q). I don't have any direct research experience. But at the end of this next quarter Ill have 80+ hours of shadowing with a urological and plastic surgeon (separate doctors lol), I am president of my fraternity, captain of the cheerleading team for two years, and volunteered/worked for multiple organizations that help kids in athletics (300+hours).One was specifically for overweight kids and the positive outcomes of team sports. During summers I worked as waiter to gain spending money for school so I didn't rely on my parents. I am a white male CA resident which I know puts me at a disadvantage.
Basically I am wondering, do I stand a chance this time around. Or should I wait and do something else in the mean time to bolster my app?
P.S. I just signed up for the MCAT may 12 so hopefully I can improve my score there.
Let me know what you guys think!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

1. I wouldn't take the MCAT if I wasn't sure I could improve it by 2-3 points. You have a pretty good and balanced MCAT score.

2. I didn't see any kind of clinical experience in your list of activities. Did you do anything were you were directly exposed to patients? If you didn't, I believe this might be what was holding you back. If I were you, I would focus on improving this aspect of your application and applying broadly and wisely.

So I recently wrapped up my application season with no success (no interviews either). And while I think my obvious huge mistake was submitting my primary in October (DUMB!), I am considering applying this june and wondering whether or not to put it off another year. I am a senior at Stanford with a 3.6 and a 32Q MCAT (12, 11, 9 Q). I don't have any direct research experience. But at the end of this next quarter Ill have 80+ hours of shadowing with a urological and plastic surgeon (separate doctors lol), I am president of my fraternity, captain of the cheerleading team for two years, and volunteered/worked for multiple organizations that help kids in athletics (300+hours).One was specifically for overweight kids and the positive outcomes of team sports. During summers I worked as waiter to gain spending money for school so I didn't rely on my parents. I am a white male CA resident which I know puts me at a disadvantage.
Basically I am wondering, do I stand a chance this time around. Or should I wait and do something else in the mean time to bolster my app?
P.S. I just signed up for the MCAT may 12 so hopefully I can improve my score there.
Let me know what you guys think!!!!!
Your shadowing is strong, but it's considered a passive observership. What is your experience actively interacting with sick people? If the answer is zero, then get that going andfor sure wait a year before you apply, as most schools will expect you to have both types of experience. Do you have a plan to gain some research experience? Could you sort out how many hours of nonmedical community service you can list and whether any of your activities entailed teaching? The leadership looks good.