Should I reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocAnne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got rejected to all the schools I applied to this cycle. I have worked as a dental assistant for the past two years, am graduating with a double degree in Biology and English. My overall GPA is a 3.68, my science a 3.44. I took the DAT once, and got an 18 overall (with math being verryyy low at 12).

Is it worth it for me to retake the DAT, given my GPA?
What schools would be good to apply to?

Are there any other career alternatives that might be good with my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will have to retake the DAT even with your high gpa bc i believe many dschools have a cut off for the scores of 16 for each section.

&& as far as career alternatives, that depends on what else your interested in maybe pharmacy, or PA?

Whatever you choose to do, Good luck!

Definitely retake the DAT and you have a good shot! I received a 20AA with a 17 in QR, and my application was tossed out by a couple of schools because it was too low... even though I had a 20 TS, 23RC and 24 PA.

Apply early, and you should be good to go. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Get some good studying programs like destroyer and get serious about the DAT. If dental school is what you really want, theres no reason why you shouldn't bust your butt to get there. Dental school is becoming more and more competitive, and a 12 nowadays is pretty much a rejection letter. Keep your head up... dont give up. GL

Thanks everyone for the good advice. It is frustrating because I stayed an extra year of undergrad and also have spent all of my savings towards applying to schools. I am totally up for retaking the DAT again...just wanted to see if it was even worth it, given my science GPA is not toooo high.

I applied to 11-12 schools...if I were to apply again, I think I would lower the number, just because it was so costly. Given my GPA and pending a good DAT score, what are some schools I should be considering...I am willing to go anywhere in the US..

One thing I was thinking of doing was taking a year off, moving to Texas where I have family, and then applying to schools in that state. If you are an in state resident, do Texas schools tend to be easier to get into than ones in the Northeast?

From how I understand it, Texas schools are hard to get in to no matter what. Plus you need to call the Texas schools to see how they determine residency (it may not be as simple as moving to Texas and living there for a year).

If you put some serious time in to studying for the DAT and do well on it, then you will be in good shape. Continue to shadow and volunteer (to show your determination) and do some serious research in to what schools you stand a chance at getting in to. It will take a little bit of work, but you will be fine.

One thing I was thinking of doing was taking a year off, moving to Texas where I have family, and then applying to schools in that state. If you are an in state resident, do Texas schools tend to be easier to get into than ones in the Northeast?

All schools are "easier" to get in with outstanding credentials. You might have benefited more by brushing up on your math than working as a da.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=698800

Last edited:
This is just my opinion, I just don't see a school accepting someone with a 12 in any section (Im sure its happened before, but its a very very rare event)....a 12 in QR means you only answered 10 questions correct out of the 40.... If you woulda just guessed the letter B on all 40 questions, you could probably end up with 12.

Retake your DATs.

Yeah I know exactlyy why I got a 12 on the math...I had always flown through high school math and calculus with As, so I did not devote enough time to go through practice problems and learn the strategies to answer them quickly. I figured the math would be easy for me, but when I got to the test I ran out of time and did not even get to later questions. Though I got a 28 in the reading comp, and 17-18s in the sciences, I know the math really hurt me and brought me down. If I were to take the DAT again, I would most definitely take the time to take each section seriously.

I got rejected to all the schools I applied to this cycle. I have worked as a dental assistant for the past two years, am graduating with a double degree in Biology and English. My overall GPA is a 3.68, my science a 3.44. I took the DAT once, and got an 18 overall (with math being verryyy low at 12).

Is it worth it for me to retake the DAT, given my GPA?
What schools would be good to apply to?

Are there any other career alternatives that might be good with my GPA?

How many schools did you apply? Did you get any interviews? I have heard that some dental schools really don't weight much on the QR section, so definitely retake the DAT and make sure to improve. Try applying to Maryland, they have a great admission team in my opinion.

Yeah I know exactlyy why I got a 12 on the math...I had always flown through high school math and calculus with As, so I did not devote enough time to go through practice problems and learn the strategies to answer them quickly. I figured the math would be easy for me, but when I got to the test I ran out of time and did not even get to later questions. Though I got a 28 in the reading comp, and 17-18s in the sciences, I know the math really hurt me and brought me down. If I were to take the DAT again, I would most definitely take the time to take each section seriously.

Thats really good to hear, so now once you start treating the math with more respect, you could easily score 20+ on it. Many of us have done the same thing, I totally underestimated the math, I had a minors in mathematics back in 2004 so I was like "I don't need alot of time into it".... BIG MISTAKE, ended up with an 18 when I coulda easily gotten 20+

I applied to 11 or 12. I got zero interviews. Beyond the DAT, which I knew I would have to retake probably (but it was too late for this current cycle), I was worried that maybe my 3.44 science was not high enough, either. That is part of the reason I am unsure if retaking the DAT will help. Yes...I have heard good things about Maryland too! Where are you in the process?

Which schools did you apply to? I knew of a guy who got rejected by all the schools he applied to with pretty decent stats. I later found out he only applied to the UCs and the Ivies.

I applied to 11 or 12. I got zero interviews. Beyond the DAT, which I knew I would have to retake probably (but it was too late for this current cycle), I was worried that maybe my 3.44 science was not high enough, either. That is part of the reason I am unsure if retaking the DAT will help. Yes...I have heard good things about Maryland too! Where are you in the process?

A 3.44 science GPA is still pretty decent. Assuming good extracurriculars and a good essay, your 12 on the math section is the only thing holding you back. Definitely retake the exam. You still need to apply to more schools to increase your chances though. You have to pay to play.

Hey DocAnne, don't give up! It sucks to be rejected from all your schools this try, and not getting any interviews just adds insult to injury. However, I think your GPA is solid. Not spectacular, but definitely average for a lot of schools (which isn't a bad place to be). I think you need to study, study, study for the DAT. I agree that the math portion was your problem. I also thought math would be a piece of cake, but they are asking questions from material that you learned in 6th grade. Yeah, you need to brush up on that. If you really commit to studying and do well, you might get a good enough of a score that you won't need to continue taking any more post-bacc classes. (Judge your scored by the average DAT scores in that link that doc toothache posted.) Keep going and good luck!

Oh, yeah, and you need EC, volunteering, job shadowing, research, etc. If you do well enough on the DAT, your free time can be devoted to that. And kill your personal statement.

how did you get rejected with good gpa, good ec and so-so DAT?

that doesnt make sense to me, especially if it is 11-12 schools.

I was hoping to get in to at least ONE school with my DAT score...but I'm sure that the math score did not look good at a 12, and my Perceptual was only a 16. In getting an 18 overall, my pre-health adviser said that this was probably why I did not get in. He suggested that I take the test again, and at least try one more cycle before giving up.

I have two years of work experience in the field, working full time on breaks and summer. It has been hard for me to do extracurricular activities or volunteering, because I work two jobs (and have throughout all of my undergrad years). So put together two jobs, two degrees, and a DAT...sometimes not the best turn out!

If I reapply, I am going to make the DAT a PRIORITY. I would hate to miss out on the chance of a lifetime because of one simple test in my way. I was worried about my science GPA too, though. Hopefully I can meat myself up as an applicant if I can do more volunteering.

You must must retake your DATs. Once you get them all above 18 I see no reason for you to be rejected