Should I regret not applying to Mt. Sinai?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that worst case scenario, i'll be waitlisted/rejected from all of the schools that i'm waiting to hear from post-interview. Initially, I didn't really want to go to any schools in NY (not a big fan of the city), so I only applied to Cornell (great international medicine) and Einstein (easy secondary). Now I'm regretting not applying to Sinai... does anyone think that Sinai is much better than Einstein? Do you think that I would be at a disadvantage going to Einstein over Sinai (assuming that I would have been accepted there, which is of course a hypothetical?)

Oh, and can you guy tell that I am absolutely panicking at this point? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by quideam
I'm thinking that worst case scenario, i'll be waitlisted/rejected from all of the schools that i'm waiting to hear from post-interview. Initially, I didn't really want to go to any schools in NY (not a big fan of the city), so I only applied to Cornell (great international medicine) and Einstein (easy secondary). Now I'm regretting not applying to Sinai... does anyone think that Sinai is much better than Einstein? Do you think that I would be at a disadvantage going to Einstein over Sinai (assuming that I would have been accepted there, which is of course a hypothetical?)

?

Why are you panicking? You got into medical school. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by quideam

Don't panic! I'm sure you'll into Cornell, Penn, or Yale etc.... I think Sinai and Einstein are interchangeable in terms of reputation and such. But coming from CA I don't know how east coasters perceive the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Kashue
?

Why are you panicking? You got into medical school. :rolleyes:

I know, I know... but none of the schools that I've been accepted to where schools that I really wanted to go to... I've already withdrawn from the NJ schools, and the other two were schools that I just sort of applied to because they're in the area, easy secondaries, solid reps, etc. I'm just thinking that I should have applied to more schools, that's all; i'm not downplaying the importnace of an acceptance. It's just that I don't even know which of them I would want to go to...

Sinai and Einstein are both great schools. I personally liked Sinai a lot more then Einstein because of location. Academically speaking, however, they're very similar.

Originally posted by facted
Sinai and Einstein are both great schools. I personally liked Sinai a lot more then Einstein because of location. Academically speaking, however, they're very similar.

Right, and they really aren't that far away from each other... isn't it like 20 min on the subway?

You can't regret anything now... just sit back and relax and tell yourself "everything happens for a reason." Being delusional helps.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Right, and they really aren't that far away from each other... isn't it like 20 min on the subway?

You can't regret anything now... just sit back and relax and tell yourself "everything happens for a reason." Being delusional helps.

20 minutes yes, but you're going from Upper east side to the Bronx. Huge difference in scenary.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin

It's a little further than that. But even 10 minutes on a subway in NY can yield far different neighborhoods.

Should you regret it? Yes of course, because I may be there next year. Who could pass up going to class with the Flash? :p

Flash, where else have you gotten in besides Mt. Sinai? congrats!

In NY, it seems that Sinai, NYU and Einstein are on the same level.

Class size is 120 at Sinai compared to 180 at Einstein. Evaluation is the same for both. Sinai has affiliated hospitals in NJ whereas Einstein has one in Long Island. Curriculum-wise, Sinai seems to have it less intense than Einstein because it has a 2 basic science block schedule. They both encourage international studies - at Einstein, you can get $2000 for travel costs. If you're interested in Geriatrics, Sinai has one of the top programs. Sinai offers an MS in Community Medicine. At Einstein, though, you have an opportunity to apply for an MPH at Columbia. In terms of NIH funding, they seem to be on the same research level (though Einstein is higher in neurology/neurosciences).

These are just my observations.

Originally posted by TheFlash
Should you regret it? Yes of course, because I may be there next year. Who could pass up going to class with the Flash? :p

There is a good chance I'll be there as well, so yes, you should DEFINITELY regret it :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SachinG
There is a good chance I'll be there as well, so yes, you should DEFINITELY regret it :D

dude, thats 3 SDNers MSSM bound. that means there are only 117 other spots for me to vy for off waitlist :(

Originally posted by SachinG

UVA represent! :horns:

Originally posted by exmike
dude, thats 3 SDNers MSSM bound. that means there are only 117 other spots for me to vy for off waitlist :(

exmike, would you definitely go to MSSM over Drew/UCLA?

Originally posted by TheFlash
Yes of course, because I may be there next year. Who could pass up going to class with the Flash? :p

NICE. Congrats Flash... let me know if you want info to help in your decision, just keep in mind I'm several years out of Camp Sinai.

And to the OP, no need to worry, it's too late to do anything substantive about it and it's not like you didn't get into some good schools. Congrats!

Hey Exmike,

I would like to hear your reasons for placing Sinai as your first choice. How would you compare it with NYU? Thanks.

DBX

flash i think id 'pick mssm over drew/ucla

daben, nyu isnt an option for me so i dont know which of the two id pick. probably NYU though b/c its downtown.

Originally posted by dabenxiong
Hey Exmike,

I would like to hear your reasons for placing Sinai as your first choice. How would you compare it with NYU? Thanks.

DBX

DBX, I was there 12/8. Who were you btw?

<-- Tall Indian guy with glasses from NYU, doing research at Sinai.

Kashue this is a dark and dangerous place....hold me....

Plenty of time exmike... good luck!

Originally posted by Northerner
Kashue this is a dark and dangerous place....hold me....

*hairy arms surround Northerner in a bundle of joy*

Oh New York...New York....:love:

I guess I'll wait until my Residency years ;)

Originally posted by CalBeE
Oh New York...New York....:love:

I guess I'll wait until my Residency years ;)

<--wants to get out of new york!

arrowup1.jpg

Seems to have lost his mind. :laugh: