Should I regret not applying to Mt. Sinai?

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,397
9
39
NYC
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I'm thinking that worst case scenario, i'll be waitlisted/rejected from all of the schools that i'm waiting to hear from post-interview. Initially, I didn't really want to go to any schools in NY (not a big fan of the city), so I only applied to Cornell (great international medicine) and Einstein (easy secondary). Now I'm regretting not applying to Sinai... does anyone think that Sinai is much better than Einstein? Do you think that I would be at a disadvantage going to Einstein over Sinai (assuming that I would have been accepted there, which is of course a hypothetical?)

    Oh, and can you guy tell that I am absolutely panicking at this point? :(
     

    Kashue

    No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Nov 2, 2003
    2,964
    1
      Originally posted by quideam
      I'm thinking that worst case scenario, i'll be waitlisted/rejected from all of the schools that i'm waiting to hear from post-interview. Initially, I didn't really want to go to any schools in NY (not a big fan of the city), so I only applied to Cornell (great international medicine) and Einstein (easy secondary). Now I'm regretting not applying to Sinai... does anyone think that Sinai is much better than Einstein? Do you think that I would be at a disadvantage going to Einstein over Sinai (assuming that I would have been accepted there, which is of course a hypothetical?)

      Oh, and can you guy tell that I am absolutely panicking at this point? :(

      ?

      Why are you panicking? You got into medical school. :rolleyes:
       
      E

      Eraserhead

        Originally posted by quideam
        I'm thinking that worst case scenario, i'll be waitlisted/rejected from all of the schools that i'm waiting to hear from post-interview. Initially, I didn't really want to go to any schools in NY (not a big fan of the city), so I only applied to Cornell (great international medicine) and Einstein (easy secondary). Now I'm regretting not applying to Sinai... does anyone think that Sinai is much better than Einstein? Do you think that I would be at a disadvantage going to Einstein over Sinai (assuming that I would have been accepted there, which is of course a hypothetical?)

        Oh, and can you guy tell that I am absolutely panicking at this point? :(

        Don't panic! I'm sure you'll into Cornell, Penn, or Yale etc.... I think Sinai and Einstein are interchangeable in terms of reputation and such. But coming from CA I don't know how east coasters perceive the schools.
         
        About the Ads

        quideam

        Too tired to complain
        7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Apr 17, 2003
        1,397
        9
        39
        NYC
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Originally posted by Kashue
          ?

          Why are you panicking? You got into medical school. :rolleyes:

          I know, I know... but none of the schools that I've been accepted to where schools that I really wanted to go to... I've already withdrawn from the NJ schools, and the other two were schools that I just sort of applied to because they're in the area, easy secondaries, solid reps, etc. I'm just thinking that I should have applied to more schools, that's all; i'm not downplaying the importnace of an acceptance. It's just that I don't even know which of them I would want to go to...
           
          E

          Eraserhead

            Originally posted by facted
            Sinai and Einstein are both great schools. I personally liked Sinai a lot more then Einstein because of location. Academically speaking, however, they're very similar.

            Right, and they really aren't that far away from each other... isn't it like 20 min on the subway?

            You can't regret anything now... just sit back and relax and tell yourself "everything happens for a reason." Being delusional helps.
             

            Kashue

            No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Nov 2, 2003
            2,964
            1
              Originally posted by DoctorKevin
              Right, and they really aren't that far away from each other... isn't it like 20 min on the subway?

              You can't regret anything now... just sit back and relax and tell yourself "everything happens for a reason." Being delusional helps.

              20 minutes yes, but you're going from Upper east side to the Bronx. Huge difference in scenary.
               

              darkcity998

              Senior Member
              7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Oct 26, 2003
              207
              0
                In NY, it seems that Sinai, NYU and Einstein are on the same level.

                Class size is 120 at Sinai compared to 180 at Einstein. Evaluation is the same for both. Sinai has affiliated hospitals in NJ whereas Einstein has one in Long Island. Curriculum-wise, Sinai seems to have it less intense than Einstein because it has a 2 basic science block schedule. They both encourage international studies - at Einstein, you can get $2000 for travel costs. If you're interested in Geriatrics, Sinai has one of the top programs. Sinai offers an MS in Community Medicine. At Einstein, though, you have an opportunity to apply for an MPH at Columbia. In terms of NIH funding, they seem to be on the same research level (though Einstein is higher in neurology/neurosciences).

                These are just my observations.
                 
                About the Ads

                DoctorDoom

                Witch King
                15+ Year Member
                Mar 11, 2003
                972
                14
                Minas Morgul
                1. Attending Physician
                  Originally posted by TheFlash
                  Yes of course, because I may be there next year. Who could pass up going to class with the Flash? :p

                  NICE. Congrats Flash... let me know if you want info to help in your decision, just keep in mind I'm several years out of Camp Sinai.

                  And to the OP, no need to worry, it's too late to do anything substantive about it and it's not like you didn't get into some good schools. Congrats!
                   

                  dabenxiong

                  Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Sep 27, 2002
                  77
                  0
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    Originally posted by exmike
                    dude, thats 3 SDNers MSSM bound. that means there are only 117 other spots for me to vy for off waitlist :(

                    Hey Exmike,

                    I would like to hear your reasons for placing Sinai as your first choice. How would you compare it with NYU? Thanks.

                    DBX
                     

                    Kashue

                    No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
                    10+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Nov 2, 2003
                    2,964
                    1
                      Originally posted by dabenxiong
                      Hey Exmike,

                      I would like to hear your reasons for placing Sinai as your first choice. How would you compare it with NYU? Thanks.

                      DBX

                      DBX, I was there 12/8. Who were you btw?

                      <-- Tall Indian guy with glasses from NYU, doing research at Sinai.
                       

                      kito

                      Big Evil
                      15+ Year Member
                      May 13, 2002
                      4,755
                      7
                      deep within
                        arrowup1.jpg



                        Seems to have lost his mind. :laugh:
                         
                        About the Ads
                        This thread is more than 17 years old.

                        Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                        1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.