Should I reject my only prematch if I don't want to go to the school (TMDSAS)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med1993

Reaction score
I received one prematch offer (TCOM) from the 4 total schools I interviewed at. If I accept the prematch offer for now, will it affect my chances for the other 3 schools I do want to attend when Match day comes around? I'm a little confused about how the prematch process works in Texas. Do other schools view your prematch acceptance and assume you would be happy going to that school? Do they see your school rankings after January 18 for Match Day?

I appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Other Texas schools will not see your other prematch offers, so right now you should definitely accept TCOM's (nonbinding) offer. Hopefully you'll prematch to the other schools you interviewed at, but if not, you can rank them higher than TCOM and hopefully match to one

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who is waiting to potentially pre-match still: YES GIVE IT TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS IT.

But as a sane person who would offer real advice: Accept the prematch. It is only binding if you reject the offer. If you reject the offer, you will (to my understanding) not be able to match there. If you reject the offer and do not get in anywhere else, you may be in a bit of pickle. But accepting the prematch is not binding, so if you get other acceptances you can still take those offers.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received one prematch offer (TCOM) from the 4 total schools I interviewed at. If I accept the prematch offer for now, will it affect my chances for the other 3 schools I do want to attend when Match day comes around? I'm a little confused about how the prematch process works in Texas. Do other schools view your prematch acceptance and assume you would be happy going to that school? Do they see your school rankings after January 18 for Match Day?

I appreciate any help.
What other choice do you have???

Reactions: 1 users
Other Texas schools will not see your other prematch offers, so right now you should definitely accept TCOM's (nonbinding) offer. Hopefully you'll prematch to the other schools you interviewed at, but if not, you can rank them higher than TCOM and hopefully match to one
When I interviewed at TCOM, they told us they can see which schools have accepted/rejected us. I wasn't sure if they factored this into their own decisions come Match Day.

Just wait and hold on to it. No need to make a decision this early. Plus, inferring what the mighty goro has said, what if this is your only one?

However, coming from someone who hasn’t prematched anywhere yet, I can’t help but say that I’ll gladly take it off your hands ;)

Reactions: 1 user
If it’s your only pre-match, take it. You don’t know if yo ranked at the other schools you interviewed at come regular match day. You can rank TCOM last in your list and everything else above. You can always move up your match list, not down. If you reject at TCOM and you don’t match, then you’re out of the game this cycle (probs have to wait for the waitlist)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Part of the reason I'm asking is I would rather reapply MD if this cycle doesn't work out, but I heard this can put me on a blacklist if I reject a school?

I'll never understand why people make the effort to go interview at a school they're not interested in going to.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the replies everyone. Part of the reason I'm asking is I would rather reapply MD if this cycle doesn't work out, but I heard this can put me on a blacklist if I reject a school?

So you were pre-matched to a Texas DO school that was part of your TMDSAS application? Others are right that you should not reject this acceptance. The acceptance isn’t binding.

Question: why did you apply to a school that you don’t want to attend.

As for the blacklist. Not sure about TMDSAS schools, but it would make sense that you’d be blacklisted if you rejected this school, and then ended up reapplying next year. It just messes up the whole complicated med school app process for students to get acceptances, then reject them all, and then reapplying next cycle.

Note to others: don’t apply to a med school that you won’t want to attend.

All TMDSAS schools are great schools. TCOM is especially known because of their post-bacc, since lots of their students get into TX programs.

If you reapply, schools will know you’re a reapplicant, plus they will know you had the acceptance previously. You will have to have a good explanation during your interview why you didn’t accept.

Pretty much echoing everyone else, but you should definitely accept your prematch. Prematches are not binding. You can hold as many prematches as you are given. But as a courtesy to other applicants if you have multiple prematches and know for sure you will not attend a school, then decline it. As of now, you have an acceptance to only one school, something about a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush applies here. Enjoy the fact that you’re going to be in med school somewhere next year and just neurotically check your portals in the mean time but don’t decline your only acceptance, thus far.

Prematches will not affect your chances to match on 2/1. I’m not sure if TMDSAS schools can see if you’ve been accepted/rejected but I do know they WILL NOT see your rank (per TMDSAS). Its all done by an algorithm. You rank the schools and the schools rank their interviewed applicants. For instance if you interviewed at TCOM, Lubbock, and A&M and get a prematch to TCOM. Then on 1/18 you’ll submit your rank list as 1. A&M 2. Lubbock 3. TCOM. At this point you still have your acceptance to TCOM (as long as you don’t decline it). Come match day, you match to Lubbock, your seat at TCOM will be relinquished and you’ll hold an acceptance to Lubbock but will be on the waitlist for A&M. Your spot at Lubbock is guaranteed. You’ll have until 6/1 to stay on the waitlist at A&M if they accept you before then, congrats and look for places in Bryan. If not, you’ll be released from A&M and you should start looking for apartments in Lubbock.

I received a prematch to the new Sam Houston DO school. I haven’t received any other interviews. At the time when I applied, there was little to no information on cost of attendance, the program, or anything honestly. Now that all this information is available, I am more apprehensive about being the first cohort among other personal reasons. Would it be frowned upon to deny this prematch and reapply next cycle? I have ready the denying an acceptance is basically taboo, but I was wondering if A prematch is viewed the same way?

I received a prematch to the new Sam Houston DO school. I haven’t received any other interviews. At the time when I applied, there was little to no information on cost of attendance, the program, or anything honestly. Now that all this information is available, I am more apprehensive about being the first cohort among other personal reasons. Would it be frowned upon to deny this prematch and reapply next cycle? I have ready the denying an acceptance is basically taboo, but I was wondering if A prematch is viewed the same way?
I would advise not going to a school your not happy about. You will be spending 4 years there and reapplying would be better than not being happy with your decision for 4 years. Also when did you interview? Just trying to establish a timeline for others who interview and are waiting for prematches.

I would advise not going to a school your not happy about. You will be spending 4 years there and reapplying would be better than not being happy with your decision for 4 years. Also when did you interview? Just trying to establish a timeline for others who interview and are waiting for prematches.

I was in the second interview, so mid October. Received prematch on Nov. 15th.

I was in the second interview, so mid October. Received prematch on Nov. 15th.
No other interviews may highlights red flag(s) on your app, with sam Houston the only one willing to take the chance. I doubt they'll take the same chance next year. Would you be okay with not going to medical school if next cycle is unsuccessful?