Should I retake Chemistry II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brighteyes7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am considering pharmacy as my future career but I want to plan out my courses before I go into it 100%. I graduated with a 3.6 in Psychology. I don't know what my science GPA is but I do have a C in Bio 2 and Chem 2. I am planning on retaking Bio 2. I was wondering if it would most likely be a good idea to retake Chemistry II or if I should wait and see what my organic 1 and 2 grades come out to be? I still need to take Organic 1 and 2, genetics, and microbiology. I don't think I will be applying this cycle so I should have time to spread out my courses. Should I retake chem 2 first or start with organic and go from there?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am considering pharmacy as my future career but I want to plan out my courses before I go into it 100%. I graduated with a 3.6 in Psychology. I don't know what my science GPA is but I do have a C in Bio 2 and Chem 2. I am planning on retaking Bio 2. I was wondering if it would most likely be a good idea to retake Chemistry II or if I should wait and see what my organic 1 and 2 grades come out to be? I still need to take Organic 1 and 2, genetics, and microbiology. I don't think I will be applying this cycle so I should have time to spread out my courses. Should I retake chem 2 first or start with organic and go from there?
If you make As in your remaining classes you may be fine. If you retake those courses and make As, then it will definitely show a better trend, but some programs may average all grades from those courses. Aim high for your PCAT, at least 80th or better composite, with high 90's in your sciences, and a good math score also. Get a job in a pharmacy or patient oriented setting to bolster your relevant experience.

If you make As in your remaining classes you may be fine. If you retake those courses and make As, then it will definitely show a better trend, but some programs may average all grades from those courses. Aim high for your PCAT, at least 80th or better composite, with high 90's in your sciences, and a good math score also. Get a job in a pharmacy or patient oriented setting to bolster your relevant experience.
If you don't mind to retake it! Do it. For PCAT you need to know general chem 2 a lot. I heard that pharmcasy look at your grades for organic, gener. chem 2, biochem the most. That is just rumors, not sure. Also general chem 2 will help you to deal with biochem, as well as organic 2. If not.. Than don't loose your chance to work harder now to get good in organic. To me organic is much easier than general chemisety

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses! I think I will take organic 1 and 2 first to see how my grades are and then retake Chem 2 if needed. I've been trying to apply to some pharmacy tech positions but I'm not so sure how to get into the field. A lot of the positions require the license already, but it looks like I can't get the license unless I work in a pharmacy? I currently work at an ER doing administration, so I do get patient interaction, but not really anything clinical.

Take organic first and deal with it good. That's another year. Pay attention to orgo 1, you will succeed in orgo 2. Orgo 2 doesn't have anything new, just more deeper..
For pharm tech you need to pass and exam.
Work in ER can be considered as health-related field, depending what u do, or try find and explain how it can be related. For example, you can have an opportunity to observe their jobs.. Which is still better than Reading descriptions online about pharmacy job.

Take organic first and deal with it good. That's another year. Pay attention to orgo 1, you will succeed in orgo 2. Orgo 2 doesn't have anything new, just more deeper..
For pharm tech you need to pass and exam.
Work in ER can be considered as health-related field, depending what u do, or try find and explain how it can be related. For example, you can have an opportunity to observe their jobs.. Which is still better than Reading descriptions online about pharmacy job.

Yeah I can shadow as much as I want, whenever there is free time, but we're not attached to a hospital so our "pharmacy" is very small. I will call around my local CVS and Walgreens to see if they will let me shadow as well. Waiting for the summer semester to start organic chemistry! Thanks for your help :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I can shadow as much as I want, whenever there is free time, but we're not attached to a hospital so our "pharmacy" is very small. I will call around my local CVS and Walgreens to see if they will let me shadow as well. Waiting for the summer semester to start organic chemistry! Thanks for your help :)
Best luck!

I think I had like 5 C's and a W and got into 4 out of the 5 schools that I applied to but had a year of tech experience and a PCAT in the 90s. So my point is that if you do well in your remaining classes I wouldn't bother retaking it unless you can easily work it into your schedule and are sure you can get an A. Organic can be really tough at some schools and it's often used to gauge whether or not you can handle pharmacy school so I would really focus there and on your PCAT honestly.

Hello all,

Dont retake gen chem 2. Take Ochems and the rest and get B-s at least.