Should I retake DAT? 20AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inusizo

Reaction score
Should I retake DAT? I got 20AA,20TS, 21 GC, 21 OC, 19 BIO, 20 Reading, 18 PAT, and 17 QR. I have 3.8 overall GPA and 3.75 science GPA. with 400 shadowing hours and various leadership positions. I already submitted my application in July. I am really concerned about PAT and QR scores. My goal is to get into state schools that are relatively cheaper than private schools. What should I do?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should really utilize the WAMC template as that will be easier to give you advice. As far as your DAT scores go, an 18 PAT is fine and so is a 17 QR. 19 Bio is probably a little low but the 20 RC is great. Naturally QR is usually a bit lower for most applicants and the fact that it is not below 17 is good! Given you have a 20 AA/TS, 20 RC and and 18 PAT, I think you'll be alright... I personally got 20 AA, 22 TS and a 14 QR. Just got my third interview today so give it a shot! We'll have to see what other advise you as well but imo you'll do fine given the rest of your app is impressive!

Your AA/TS is ok but that PAT and Bio oof. IMO a PAT score below 20 doesn't look too good but I'd carefully weigh whether or not it's within your means to retake. If you are confident you can score better the second time around go for it

Members don't see this ad :)
20TS/20AA is not a bad score and it would put you right around the average for many schools. If I were you, deciding to retake would come down to a few factors:

1. What schools are you targeting and what's the average score for your state school? A 20 would probably be fine if you're a resident of a midwestern state that has a lower average score. If you're trying for competitive coastal state schools (i.e. California), it may not be.

2. What were your practice exams like? Is 20 lower than you were typically scoring on practices? If so, I might retake. If it's an accurate representation, I might not.

If you want to get into dental school, you'll be fine with a 20AA/20TS! If you want to go to any of the top 5 highest DAT average schools, it may be harder. Depends what schools you're interested in, and their numbers :) Good luck!

There is a misplaced presumption that taking the DAT a second/third/nth time will result in improvement of scores.

I really think you'll be just fine.. I got 20 AA, 22 TS, 18 RC, 20 PAT and 14 QR..had multiple people tell me I need to retake and I have 3 interviews in September so far. I have seen the stats of others who have gotten interviews and they are below yours.. trust the process, trust the work you've put in and be patient