This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I retake?

• Yes

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 77.8%

• Total voters

dental0116

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I took my DAT in August and I'm currently in the interview process for dental school this year and debating whether I should retake it. I have applied to 14 dental schools and have gotten 5 interview invitations. At some interviews I have been asked "Do you plan to retake the DAT?" or "Are you satisfied with your DAT score?". This, as well as comparing my scores with others on SDN has made me really reconsider if I should retake the exam or not.

Here are my stats:
Attend a top 10 public university
DAT: AA/TS/BIO/OC/GC/PAT/RC/QR
19/20/20/20 /20 /18/20/15

sGPA with +/-: 3.40
sGPA w/o: 3.46
GPA: 3.62

I have research, volunteering, and several leadership positions as well as service on my app.
Should I retake?

Members don't see this ad.

5 interviews so you prob good.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don’t get accepted this cycle, I’d say retake so that your application is that much stronger next cycle. But since you have 5 interviews, I wouldn’t worry too much until you know if you have to apply again

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I second what others have said :) Interview invites mean you look "acceptable" on paper. Best of luck to you! I hope you get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not wait literally less than 21 days before making this decision?

You've gotten plenty of interviews so good chance you'll be accepted somewhere. If you don't get accepted, I'd retake. 20+ is the goal.

Like others have said, you have 5 interviews. If schools themselves weren't satisfied with your scores, they wouldn't have invited you for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users