Should I retake my GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stmca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to go through it again, but I only studied for a week so I know I could do better. I just don't have much time to study this summer. What do you think?

157 Verbal, 158 Math, 4.5 writing

GPA 3.51
Pre req GPA: 3.8

I'm only applying to a couple schools.
Would it make a big difference to take it again?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
C'mon man, are you seriously asking if you should retake your GRE? Or do you just want everyone to tell you how well you did. Give me a break, check online for what are good scores, you should already know the answer to that question

Reactions: 1 user
Believe me, I am not looking for praise. It's just from the research I've done those scores are considered a B-. Also my friend had the same scores (he's applying for PA), and he said he is definitely retaking them. But thank you for the input; I'll keep these scores for now

jdaniels: I bought the Kaplan on demand package. I took a week off of work and studied for 12 hours a day taking practice tests and briefly reviewing the lessons. In the program, you take an initial test before the lessons, and it helps you study where your weaknesses are. I also downloaded an app on my phone called AccellaStudy GRE and memorized as many words as I could. The app I was using for a few months, so technically I studied the vocab portion for a bit longer than a week. I took my GRE words everywhere..even when I was grocery shopping...and just crammed like crazy. I hope that helps :)

C'mon man, are you seriously asking if you should retake your GRE? Or do you just want everyone to tell you how well you did. Give me a break, check online for what are good scores, you should already know the answer to that question

What he said.

You can take it as many times as you want if you want to get a higher score. If I remember correctly, you only have to send them your highest score. If you retake it multiple times, no one will see - it's not like the MCAT.

However, your scores are sufficient to stand out from the pack. I doubt you'll have to retake it. Basically you have to consider how much time, money, and effort you'll put in for that chance to improve the score on every front, and how much that small improvement will help in your application. I think it's better to focus your time elsewhere.

Edit: Also saw your GPAs just now. Yes, don't bother retaking it. Not worth it. For people like me, with GPAs hovering around 3.1-3.2, I definitely need a higher GRE score to compensate. But you're more than fine. Go enjoy your time not worrying about the GRE.

lol, It can be kind of tricky posting on these forums at times. You kinda need to do research outside of the forums to know what is considered 'good' before posting on here and asking if your 'good' or not. It is easy to offend some in such a competitive environment (unintentional or not) but I digress..

On a serious note, when it comes to retakes, the GRE really does depend on the schools your applying to. For me, there was a school that takes your MOST RECENT scores. I did heard of a school that only takes your FIRST attempt scores. There was a school that does look at all of your previous scores and takes the AVERAGE. (So If you scored a 148 Verbal your first time and then you retake it and get a 152 Verbal, they will make your Verbal as 150). There was a school that took whichever was the best scoring exam overall.

Finally, there were a few schools that took the best CATEGORY out of your attempts. So say you get a 140 Verbal and a 158 Math and a 5.0 written. Then you retake it and get 150 Verbal, a 152 Math and a 4.0 written. The school will say you got a 150 Verbal, a 158 Math and a 5.0 written. So they will pick and choose your best. BUT, the only way to find out about how each school does their GRE is to contact them personally. Most of the time, there is nothing that clarifies how they take their GRE scores.

Also, to everyone else, I know seeing people ask about their already high stats can be offending at times but who knows, maybe he's applying to an extremely competitive school? I am pretty sure there are schools out there that are extremely hard to get into with his stats. When I applied last year, there was a school here in Michigan that had the average stats of the accepted students from the previous year (so 2 years ago). The average GPA of those students was a 3.8 with an average GRE score that was around what he scored here which would mean that he is actually borderline for that specific school... :-\ I kid you not... lol So like I said, we shouldnt be too hasty to bash others guys...we don't know their circumstances of which schools he is applying for. And this is coming from someone with a 3.2 gpa with borderline stats that got accepted to 2 out of 7 schools and consider myself very lucky I even got in...lol

Also, to everyone else, I know seeing people ask about their already high stats can be offending at times but who knows, maybe he's applying to an extremely competitive school? I am pretty sure there are schools out there that are extremely hard to get into with his stats. When I applied last year, there was a school here in Michigan that had the average stats of the accepted students from the previous year (so 2 years ago). The average GPA of those students was a 3.8 with an average GRE score that was around what he scored here which would mean that he is actually borderline for that specific school... :-\ I kid you not... lol So like I said, we shouldnt be too hasty to bash others guys...we don't know their circumstances of which schools he is applying for. And this is coming from someone with a 3.2 gpa with borderline stats that got accepted to 2 out of 7 schools and consider myself very lucky I even got in...lol

Thank you for posting this, schnell. I completely agree. These forums were so helpful to me during my application process, but I'm always disappointed to see people bashing folks that post stats that are perceived as "too high" to justify posting. Last year I applied to a school with accepted student averages of last 60 GPA 3.84 and science GPA 3.76, and I was nervous about my application, but would not have felt comfortable posting that on this forum at the time.

To the OP, your GRE scores are above average and probably not worth the retake. You might want to look at the average scores for accepted students in the specific programs you're applying to in order to see how you compare.

If I can keep under 100k I'll be happy. In fact I refuse to go over lol!

If I can keep under 100k I'll be happy. In fact I refuse to go over lol!

haha I dont blame you! But yeah UM - Flint is nice because they put more emphasis on your experiences and less on your grades whereas more schools obviously put more emphasis on grades. However, that doesnt mean you can waltz in to UM - Flint though...I had to write 7 long essays for their application last year too. lol

You guys got trolled. :rolleyes:

Let's face reality for a split second. These forums aren't new. If you're on 'teh internetz', you know how to use a search function. You know how to research individual school stats. YOU have also seen other 'what's my chance posts' and their responses. Heck, a quick look at the stat sticky will show you what stats are getting acceptances.

This happens every year. Above avg stats asks if s/he needs to retake the GRE over or if they have a chance. Mentions short study time or no study time. Never sees more than a dozen posts and disappears after posting. Not to mention, its usually their first post. I don't mind encouraging applicants, but if you need it, ask for it. Don't try the damsel in distress or cosmo chick who doesn't think she's pretty routine. Its old. If you guys don't think this is for praise then I have a beach house in the middle of the sahara I want to sell you.

I don't like these posts. If you've been around long enough, you know this. These posts make it more difficult for those actually doing forum searches to find legit comparisons. They also add unnecessary anxiety to new applicants.

Last edited:
Look, I really was not trying to cause anybody anguish. I am married, and I only have the choice of applying to two schools that are within driving distance, and they are both very competitive. I realize my scores are high, but I wanted to see if it would make a difference to do BETTER because I am taking a big risk by only applying to two schools. I hope you can understand that. The last thing I intend to do is try to make anybody else nervous. I hope we can continue to ask questions on here without fear of being "bashed."

I appreciate your input, but I suggest we try to keep things positive.

@stmca:

Good luck to you! Applying to only two programs is tough, the competition is difficult with many.

Since you are place-bound, you have a good experiment going on. If you don't get in this year, you can apply next year and take the time to improve your GRE scores. Focus on what scores the programs want. For instance, Indiana University considers only GRE Verbal scores. The other scores are not considered at all.

Take heart -- there are options and you have done your best. If you have 2-3 months until the deadline you might re-take the GRE if the scores can be reported in time. Even if they aren't, your scores are pretty good. The average Verbal GRE for IU is typically in the 50-55%ile range.

Best,

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
[email protected]
shrs.iupui.edu

Last edited:
Great advice, thanks josh. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

If I were in your place, I would research the average GPAs and GRE scores for accepted students for those two schools you're applying to, and then see how you compare and decide if you should retake the GRE or not. You can also call them and ask what they are looking for in an applicant, in order to judge how you compare. Lot's of PT admissions people are happy to discuss this with potential applicants. A bonus is that they will learn who you are and see your interest in the program. Last year I only applied to three programs, and it was nice because I was able to contact them and focus my applications on what they were looking for (and I got into all of them). Also, if you let interviewers know that you only applied to two schools, they will know that you really want to attend that program, as opposed to applying to 10+ programs. So there are advantages to only applying to two programs.