Should I retake or just Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markymark71990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT on 4/24 and scored a 28 11PS 7 VR 10 BS. I have a 3.91 GPA and about a 3.8 Science GPA. (These averages might go down a little bit since my school does +/-). Im a pretty strong applicant with good ECs and good LORs. I am wondering if I should retake, and if I do, wait to submit until then or Not retake and just apply with the score. I am a white male from AZ. I am planning to apply to my state MD schools and a few low- tier schools with MCAT averages around 28-30. Any advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

What I am thinking about doing is applying to three very low tier MD programs on Wednesday that I am comfortable sending my MCAT score to then retaking the MCAT the end of July and applying to more schools. If I do this do I need to report on my application that I am sending out Wednesday that I plan on retaking, or can I just retake it in July?

You MCAT is not the end of the world. Personally, I would re-take the MCAT. The 7 verbal won't kill your chances but it is the lower end of what schools like to take (there has been research showing that 6 or less on the verbal is strongly correlated with medical school struggles). It also depends on how much you think you can improve your score. If you can get to say 35+ with your grades, then you can go for some higher level schools. If you think you will be 30/31 then that will definitely help, but by the time you get your scores back and they go to the schools, you are looking at September-ish. While September is still ok for your file to be reviewed, the later in the season you are, the more you have to really wow ADCOMs (compared to the early birds).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think It would be smart to submit to like 2 low tier schools just so my app gets verified? If i do this, do I have to tell these schools I'm retaking?

I personally would. You have a great gpa and a 28 isn't lethal. And you're above the 10th percentile for your state schools. Just figure out which schools you want to apply to strategically. I'd also make a list with the 28, just in case you have an unfortunate result with the retake. (You only need one to get verified. Drexel might be a good choice for this situation).

And there's a section on AMCAS where you indicate you have a future test date scheduled.

I personally would. You have a great gpa and a 28 isn't lethal. And you're above the 10th percentile for your state schools. Just figure out which schools you want to apply to strategically. I'd also make a list with the 28, just in case you have an unfortunate result with the retake. (You only need one to get verified. Drexel might be a good choice for this situation).

And there's a section on AMCAS where you indicate you have a future test date scheduled.

so you think i should retake?

I would retake and try to get the verbal score up. Also, try and apply to Wayne State and Rosalind Franklin, they are easier to get into.

As long as you think that you can improve your score, I think it is worth retaking the MCAT and trying to at least break 30. A 7 VR might be borderline for most MD schools. With a 28, you're really only looking at low-tier MD schools, and if you could bring up your MCAT to even a 31-32 you would be in good shape to try for a few mid-tier schools as well.

Register for a late July retake and, if your scores on practice tests are at least 4 points higher than your current score, take the exam.

I would retake, yes. But only if you believe you can get your score up!

It depends on what you are aiming for! If you just want to get anywhere, don't care about scholarships and stuff, then apply. You have great stats, and I think with a little higher MCAT you will have way more acceptances.
I took my MCAT last year, very late, applied late and so on...So my MCAT scores came out on the same day my application was verified. As soon as I saw my score of 27 (9/9/9) I wanted to withdraw my application, but it was to late:( It was already sent out to all the schools I applied to
Eventually I got a few acceptances, and will matriculate at an amazing school (UCLA), but I always think that I could've done better and probably have more options.

I would retake and try to get the verbal score up. Also, try and apply to Wayne State and Rosalind Franklin, they are easier to get into.

Rosalind Franklin? That school that got 10000+ applications for less than 200 seats is easy to get into? Their average MCAT is higher than many schools out there, and their acceptance rate is lower than many of your typical Top 30s.

It depends on what you are aiming for! If you just want to get anywhere, don't care about scholarships and stuff, then apply. You have great stats, and I think with a little higher MCAT you will have way more acceptances.
I took my MCAT last year, very late, applied late and so on...So my MCAT scores came out on the same day my application was verified. As soon as I saw my score of 27 (9/9/9) I wanted to withdraw my application, but it was to late:( It was already sent out to all the schools I applied to
Eventually I got a few acceptances, and will matriculate at an amazing school (UCLA), but I always think that I could've done better and probably have more options.

Getting into UCLA with a 27 is pretty awesome. You must live in CA lol. I just want to get into my state school. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the app verified? I might just aim for a late July retake after all if it doesn't hinder my application. Honestly I don't care about this stupid test so long as its good enough to get me into a decent MD school SOMEWHERE. I don't mind moving to Missouri or something

Well, than in that case I think you should apply early since it will give you better chance!

Yes, I live in Cali but besides that I had a very strong application except my MCAT;-)

I would retake. I applied last year with a 28 and didnt get in anywhere. I retook this past year and got an even 30 and I have been accepted to 5 schools this year. I did improve other areas of my application as well. However, from my experience I would advise most people to retake if they score under a 30, as long as they think they can improve. A score of 28 can get you into med school but it is more of a gamble especially with the 7 in verbal.
If you need more time to study for a retake, a gap year is not the end of the world either. I personally loved taking a gap year.

Ive decided that I am going to retake. I think ill take mid to late august. I think Ill be fine as far as rolling admissions goes.