Should I retake pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kml9182

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some advice. I have a few C’s in science classes (Bio 2, physics 2) and several B’s. I’m applying this cycle and my pre-req GPA: 3.0-3.4 depending on the school. My sGPA:~3.3 and cGPA:3.4-3.6 but I’ve heard that schools look at pGPA the most. I’m worried that my GPA’s are rather on the low side.

Should I go ahead and retake 1 or both of the science classes that I got a C in before I graduate to boost my pGPA a little? Or should I just apply with the GPA I have now and see if I get in anywhere then retake them if I have to reapply next cycle?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I need some advice. I have a few C’s in science classes (Bio 2, physics 2) and several B’s. I’m applying this cycle and my pre-req GPA: 3.0-3.4 depending on the school. My sGPA:~3.3 and cGPA:3.4-3.6 but I’ve heard that schools look at pGPA the most. I’m worried that my GPA’s are rather on the low side.

Should I go ahead and retake 1 or both of the science classes that I got a C in before I graduate to boost my pGPA a little? Or should I just apply with the GPA I have now and see if I get in anywhere then retake them if I have to reapply next cycle?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
You should definitely retake those classes you have a C in and try to get an A in them, especially because those are prerequisites. Some programs require a minimum grade of a B in prereqs. Do whatever you can to make yourself a better applicant, especially since observation hours and volunteer hours will be hard to earn rn.

Reactions: 1 user
It's dependent on the schools you are targeting. If your goal is stronger programs, then I would definitely retake them. But, be mindful of whether or not the schools will actually see your new grades on your application.

For this next cycle, your Fall classes/grades won't be factored into your interview/acceptance decision for many schools because they will be "in progress" at the time of their decision; they'll only see your intent to retake those courses. For Spring classes, if you're accepted into a program, many will just require you to get a B- or above on prerequisites to maintain your acceptance. If you want to improve your pGPA and sGPA for this cycle, you'd need to retake them in the Summer or apply to schools with interviews/decisions in Spring where you can update your transcript.

Find your target schools, determine how you square up, and weigh the benefit of retaking courses; beware though, because some schools have caps on repeated courses, have minimum pre-req GPAs, and only allow some "in-progress" pre-reqs. (I retook 3 courses, had 2-prereqs in the Fall, and got into all my top programs)

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on schools where you are applying. Also calculate how much it would boost your pGPA and cGPA if you retake the 2 classes w/ Cs. If it makes a significant difference, retake. If it raises your GPAs by less then 0.1, I would say just apply with the Cs but be selective of schools where you are applying: make sure your stats are competitive for the schools.

Reactions: 1 users