This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash5321

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I took the GRE about a month ago and I didn't do well on it. I'm so bad at standardized tests. I got a 145 Q, 147 V, and 4.0 AW. I know it's horrible and I was really discouraged because I studied two months for it. Anyway, I've been using Magoosh this time around and my next test date is this coming Friday. I'm so tired of studying for it because I really just want to focus on my applications, but all my focus is on the GRE. I've taken a few practice tests since my last test date and I have improved a little, but still not above a total score of 300. So I really do not think I'm going to do much better on the GRE this time.

Here are my stats:
Cum GPA: 3.392
Last 60 Hour GPA: 3.68
PreReq GPA: not really sure..I think it's between a 3.4 and 3.5
Observation Hours: 560 in a paid setting in three different nursing homes ,20 hours in an outpatient clinic, and 10 hours home health
Extracurricular Activities: Played varsity tennis at first two institutions, a part of a sorority, delta rho tau (physical therapy club), Alpha Phi Omega (service fraternity), and tennis club

I'm planning on applying to 12 non GRE schools and they are George Fox, Loma Linda University, University of Toledo, American International College, Arkansas State University, Clarkson University, D'youville, Nazareth College of Rochester, Saint Francis University, Thomas Jefferson University, University of Evansville, and University of Scranton.

What do you think my chances are of getting into any of these schools?

Do you have any other suggestions of schools that I should apply to where the focus isn't much on the GRE?

Also, do you think I should still retake the GRE even though I don't feel like I'm going to do much better? Or should I cancel it and just apply to these schools and few others that do not put much emphasis on the GRE?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I feel you on the GRE front. My scores aren't too much higher than yours (155 V,146 Q, 3.5 W) and I HATE standardized testing. I've never done well with it. I would thoroughly investigate schools, perhaps even your top 5-6 schools, email the advisor on PTCAS or within the program and simply reach out, tell them your dilemma and see what they say. Some schools will put more emphasis on it than others and some just have a minimum requirement for your application to be viewed. I would still take it. You never know: perhaps you score higher on one section or both and depending upon the school you apply to, they may take the highest score from all attempts with the GRE, so it might help? Just focus on problem areas you feel like you struggle with. I don't think anyone really goes into the GRE feeling super confident!

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I feel you on the GRE front. My scores aren't too much higher than yours (155 V,146 Q, 3.5 W) and I HATE standardized testing. I've never done well with it. I would thoroughly investigate schools, perhaps even your top 5-6 schools, email the advisor on PTCAS or within the program and simply reach out, tell them your dilemma and see what they say. Some schools will put more emphasis on it than others and some just have a minimum requirement for your application to be viewed. I would still take it. You never know: perhaps you score higher on one section or both and depending upon the school you apply to, they may take the highest score from all attempts with the GRE, so it might help? Just focus on problem areas you feel like you struggle with. I don't think anyone really goes into the GRE feeling super confident!

Thanks for your input!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your gpa is slightly less than average. So many people apply these days and 4.0s get it basically every time. You need to offset that by having a great GRE. If you try to hide that portion of your application you won't have any leverage with your GPA. They calculate all of these things usually in a point system to determine who comes for an interview. If you choose all schools that do not consider GRE be advised that they will weigh heavily on GPA. How did you study for GRE? I did worse than you and spent a month or 2, 1 chapter per day really learning what it was teaching and I got by with a 310 which just barely got me into school.

Your gpa is slightly less than average. So many people apply these days and 4.0s get it basically every time. You need to offset that by having a great GRE. If you try to hide that portion of your application you won't have any leverage with your GPA. They calculate all of these things usually in a point system to determine who comes for an interview. If you choose all schools that do not consider GRE be advised that they will weigh heavily on GPA. How did you study for GRE? I did worse than you and spent a month or 2, 1 chapter per day really learning what it was teaching and I got by with a 310 which just barely got me into school.

What do you mean, 'if you try to hide that portion of your application'? I was planning on applying to the non GRE schools within the next few days and obviously not including my GRE score. Is that not a good idea?