Should I retake these courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TraumaQueen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I received a C- in Chem II years ago. Should I retake this course? I think I received B in almost all my other science pre-reqs (Bio I, Bio II, Chem I, Physics I, Physics II). I've received A's in other science courses (although they aren't required for PT school.) I called one PT school and was told that if I got only one C in a pre-req course, I "should be okay." I'm not sure if a C- will suffice.

My A&P II class was only on a Pass/Fail basis. I am not sure if this is acceptable on the application, but I really don't want to retake it. I got an A in A&P I (I took it at a different school).

In Organic Chem I, I actually got a D- because I was pregnant and missed almost all the labs (I couldn't be around the harmful chemicals.) Even though Orgo isn't a pre-req, should I retake it to get a better grade? I don't want to waste the money for a non-required course; however, I want a strong application.

So what do you think? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools I have researched want a C and above. So a C- probably will not suffice. I would email or call the specific schools you are applying to and ask that specific question.

All prerequisites have to be letter graded. I am almost certain that no school will take a pass fail A&P II. That is a very important prerequisite.

As for O Chem, if the schools you are applying to do not factor it into your prerequisite GPA, I do not think it would be a problem. But like I said before, it would be best to email an admissions adviser asking that specific question.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above, most schools will take a "C" but not a "C-". Either way, it's a pretty low score so just retake it.

I wouldn't worry about Orgo if you repeat the Chem although you are probably going to want to repeat quite a few of the other pre reqs too if you have straight Bs. Be wary of the math/science GPA calcuation. Some schools have a minimum on this and the Orgo grade will go into that one and drag you down. Just make sure you meet any required math/science GPAs.

You will likely need to retake the pass/fail A&P too. Almost every school requires that you get a grade for pre req courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure which math courses are pre-reqs, but I got A's in all of my math courses (that was my major).

I'm not sure if I should retake some pre-reqs if I got B's. Do you think it'll be good enough if I retake the A&P and Chem? Each course at a community college around here is $1500. If I retake even 2 pre-req courses, A&P, and Chem, that's $6000. Do you think it's really necessary?

You need to calculate your pre req GPA to be sure. Look in the PTCAS instructions for which courses will be marked as pre reqs. Basically, you will self identify the pre reqs based on the schools you are applying too. Use the pre req list from the school with the most requirements to do a self calculation. Do you have As in any of the pre reqs not counting math? If not, then you pre req GPA will be under a 3.0 right now. That is not competitive enough. Remember, that a lot of schools average in the retakes so even retaking a course isn't a huge leap. Generally, it seems like you want your pre req GPA to at least be a 3.4 but that varies per school (many schools are higher). So yes, you will likely need to retake some of your B courses in addition to A&P and Chem. I think $6000 is extreme (especially if you need even more courses than those 2). I would shop around....consider other community colleges, other state schools, private schools, online schools (careful with the lab requirements but I was able to use online classes for science re takes at some schools).

Also, even though your question is about pre req GPA, don't neglect the cumulative GPA. Make sure that is decent as well. (all classes averaged together).

Oops, I didn't realize you said it was $6000 for 4 courses. (I thought it was $6000 for only 2). That seems on the expensive side but not crazy expensive like I indicated before. Basically, you are a full time student for a full semester with 4 science courses....so 6K is on par with some universities. I think it's privey for a community college level but the CCs in my area are dirt cheap.

6K is pretty steep for community college! You will have to calculate your GPAs in order to make an educated decision on which classes to retake and how many. If your cumulative GPA is okay, and none of your schools will look at the science GPA, you might get away with not retaking O-chem. I do agree that retaking A&PII and Chem is a must. However, if your cumulative GPA is low as well as your prereq GPA, you will likely need to retake O-chem as well as some other B grades.

Also, make sure your courses are current. Many schools require that you take your prerequisites in a 5-10 year time frame (they will have specifics on their admissions websites).

Not many schools will take a C- in a prereq. Even if they did, without a lot of prereq A's that will kill your prereq GPA. I doubt most schools will take a pass/fail A and P either. You don't have to retake all the prereq B's, but you should probably retake whichever ones you feel most confident you'd get an A in. I'd stay away from taking organic chemistry again. That class isn't needed, and it is a ton of work. If you just wanted to offset the GPA drop from organic you could find a class that did that for a lot less effort that is worth the same number of credits.

I got in to 3 schools with a C- in chem 2, but I made sure to have them use my Ochem grade for the 2nd semester of chemistry (my grade wasn't much better at a C+, but at least they counted it). All of my other grades were much better so it didn't really hold me back that chemistry was tougher for me

Yeah that totally works if you can count organic chem and you have good grades otherwise. But the person above had worse than the C- in organic. Man I hated organic chemistry. Double digit hours every week for a 1 credit lab. Argh. haha

Hey heaq12, what schools you got in that accepted C-. I have Physics C- both semesters. I am planning to repeat them next summer and apply after that.

Hey heaq12, what schools you got in that accepted C-. I have Physics C- both semesters. I am planning to repeat them next summer and apply after that.

This person didn't "use" a C- to get in as he/she substituted a higher course with a C+. It sounds like a good plan for you to repeat both semesters of physics.

Thanks everyone. My cumulative GPA is around 3.5. If I retake any pre-reqs to get A's, I may retake Physics 1 and 2. Of all the science courses, those were easiest for me. Or do you think retaking a biology course would be better?

So if someone took microbiology, histology, etc., these courses don't get averaged into the science GPA?

Those classes would get averaged into our science gpa. They wouldn't get averaged into your prerequisite gpa. Ptcas calculates a bunch of different types of gpa's.

If physics is easiest, take that then. Yes, other courses like microbiology and such are in the science GPA but not the pre req GPA. Not all schools look at the science GPA (but some do and have a minimum in them...know your school requirements).