Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wantdds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scores are:

BIO: 19
GC: 16
OC: 21
PAT: 23
RC: 21
QR: 16

TS: 19
AA: 19

I submitted my application in the first week of June, and have all of my materials in besides my official DAT scores as of now. I don't know how long it will take for my DAT scores to show up; am I late in the cycle? My science GPA is 3.0, my overall GPA is 3.3, and my non-science GPA is 3.9. In the coming semester I will be taking many classes that hopefully can raise my sGPA to 3.2 and oGPA to 3.38. Do you recommend a retake, and if so would winter break be too late in the cycle? Or should I focus on my GPA? I will have a full load of classes so I don't know how I can manage to study for the DAT and also manage all As for upper level sciences, that is why I feel it is best for me to study after the fall semester. If anyone knows which schools have cutoffs please let me know. I've applied to 19 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

My scores are:

BIO: 19
GC: 16
OC: 21
PAT: 23
RC: 21
QR: 16

TS: 19
AA: 19

I submitted my application in the first week of June, and have all of my materials in besides my official DAT scores as of now. I don't know how long it will take for my DAT scores to show up; am I late in the cycle? My science GPA is 3.0, my overall GPA is 3.3, and my non-science GPA is 3.9. In the coming semester I will be taking many classes that hopefully can raise my sGPA to 3.2 and oGPA to 3.38. Do you recommend a retake, and if so would winter break be too late in the cycle? Or should I focus on my GPA? I will have a full load of classes so I don't know how I can manage to study for the DAT and also manage all As for upper level sciences, that is why I feel it is best for me to study after the fall semester. If anyone knows which schools have cutoffs please let me know. I've applied to 19 schools.

Sci GPA could use some help... I'd apply to SMPs just to be safe. Do it ASAP so you can start this fall. Or you can take post-bac to boost your sci GPA. DATs is more tricky. Some schools take the newest score, some school takes the highest sections and combine. Some average... I believe. You don't want to take it again and bomb some sections you did well on, like getting a 19 instead of 23 on the PAT. I'd say prepare yourself really well the second time around if you do want to take it. But I'm serious about post-bac and SMP as back up. Improving your stats in a year is always better than doing nothing. I spoke with an admissions officer and he said that not doing anything in a year can actually hurt your chance the second time around.

Best of luck

-Kitty

A 19AA is good.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i think you MUST retake. go to *********** dot com and watch chad's video for chem, do all his practice problems. I receive Cs in undergrad chem classes, but i ended up with 30 in chem section of DAT after watching chad's. I would recommend Math destroyer for QR, the questions are very similar to the actual DAT in my opinion.

Thanks guys, does anyone know if the academic update makes a big difference in the application; is it significant?

Sci GPA could use some help... I'd apply to SMPs just to be safe. Do it ASAP so you can start this fall. Or you can take post-bac to boost your sci GPA. DATs is more tricky. Some schools take the newest score, some school takes the highest sections and combine. Some average... I believe. You don't want to take it again and bomb some sections you did well on, like getting a 19 instead of 23 on the PAT. I'd say prepare yourself really well the second time around if you do want to take it. But I'm serious about post-bac and SMP as back up. Improving your stats in a year is always better than doing nothing. I spoke with an admissions officer and he said that not doing anything in a year can actually hurt your chance the second time around.

Best of luck

-Kitty
Thank you for your input! I am definitely afraid of scores lowering in a second attempt, only because there's always the chance that I might get a more difficult version than the first. There was a lot more I could have done before taking the DAT though, and a lot that I never got to finish studying. I'm doing a post-bacc as of now, and am taking upper levels in the coming semesters

Thanks guys, does anyone know if the academic update makes a big difference in the application; is it significant?

Every school is different and only the admission committees would be able to tell you that.

But if they don't like you the first time, unless you took 18 hours of upper level biology and made A's in them, then the academic update wouldn't probably make a big difference. Most schools have already done most of the interviews by the time the academic update is available.