Should I send an update letter to this adcom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maslow12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was charged with a misdemeanor four years ago and the charges where soon-after dismissed. One secondary application I filled out asked me to disclose misdemeanors even if the charges were dismissed and I did so.

Yesterday I received the court order to expunge the record and I have personally confirmed that the record is no longer public.

Do you think I should update the medical school that my record has been expunged? And, do you think that I should include a copy of the court order for the adcom's reference?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you should do. But does "charges dismissed" basically mean you were found not guilty? If so, isn't that a little unfair? For example, if I was charged with murder but then it was revealed that it was some other guy, someone could still expect me to put than on an application?

Apparently so. It showed up on my background check, and I didn't want to be dishonest with it. Any other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I definately would update the school that the record no longer exists, but I woudl ask them what kind of proof they need.

I was charged with a misdemeanor four years ago and the charges where soon-after dismissed. One secondary application I filled out asked me to disclose misdemeanors even if the charges were dismissed and I did so.

Yesterday I received the court order to expunge the record and I have personally confirmed that the record is no longer public.

Do you think I should update the medical school that my record has been expunged? And, do you think that I should include a copy of the court order for the adcom's reference?

Update the school and send a copy of the court order of expungement. You complied with the secondary application requirements and now you have a legitimate update on this matter. Make a copy and send that copy in as soon as possible.