Should I start getting worried about my lack of invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in my applications to about 11 DO schools between September 7th - September 17th. So far, I have only gotten one interview invite from a school that screens for an interview off of the primary application. Should I start to get worried? I had pretty good stats. at a 510, 3.7 sGPA, and 3.75 GPA. The thing that may be hurting me is my lack of a DO LOR. My friend said that this could be a deal-breaker and essentially screw me. Is this true? Do yall think I will get more invites or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are doing fine. The fact that you got one ii, means that you are desirable candidate.
Now about a missing LoR, I am not sure how much value it holds. There's plenty of people on sdn and reddit that get accepted without it. But again, I dont know how much value it holds.

Some DO schools are waving the DO letter requirement, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Check their websites for more info about if they're making exceptions due to COVID.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are doing fine. The fact that you got one ii, means that you are desirable candidate.
Now about a missing LoR, I am not sure how much value it holds. There's plenty of people on sdn and reddit that get accepted without it. But again, I dont know how much value it holds.
Thanks for the guidance. I may still try to get a DO LOR from my mom's personal physician but, I feel bad asking her because I haven't shadowed her.

Thanks for the guidance. I may still try to get a DO LOR from my mom's personal physician but, I feel bad asking her because I haven't shadowed her.
Don't get a LOR from a physician you have not spent time with! Best case scenario it will most likely be a standard letter saying nothing special for your app since they don't know you, worst case they say I have no idea why this person asked for a letter I have no idea who this person is and it destroys your app. A negative LOR is the one thing ADCOM has told me can destroy an app as soon as they pick it up. It really doesn't do any benefit if you do not actually spend time with them as a patient or shadowing.

Yeah man no problem, you are doing great. One ii clearly means that there are more to come. If it gives you any relief I also have 0 ii (i got late in applying, since I struggle big time with writing essays, i am still working on them for several schools). My stats are similar to yours with MCAT being 509 and GPA 3.79 and 3.78.

I sent in my applications to about 11 DO schools between September 7th - September 17th. So far, I have only gotten one interview invite from a school that screens for an interview off of the primary application. Should I start to get worried? I had pretty good stats. at a 510, 3.7 sGPA, and 3.75 GPA. The thing that may be hurting me is my lack of a DO LOR. My friend said that this could be a deal-breaker and essentially screw me. Is this true? Do yall think I will get more invites or not?
You and I share the exact same stats (95% lol), you will be fine stats wise.

Way too early. Apps are up this year and at my own school, we haven't even finished with all the MD-caliber stat people yet.

Lacking a DO LOR will not hurt; having one will help.

January is when you should be worried, but you might get an II tomorrow, or in March!

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Way too early. Apps are up this year and at my own school, we haven't even finished with all the MD-caliber stat people yet.

January is when you should be worried, but you might get an II tomorrow, or in March!
Thanks for the guidance. Really Appreciate it!

Yeah man no problem, you are doing great. One ii clearly means that there are more to come. If it gives you any relief I also have 0 ii (i got late in applying, since I struggle big time with writing essays, i am still working on them for several schools). My stats are similar to yours with MCAT being 509 and GPA 3.79 and 3.78.
Lol, I have the same problem. Writing the essays for one supplemental app takes me pretty much the whole day.

Don't get a LOR from a physician you have not spent time with! Best case scenario it will most likely be a standard letter saying nothing special for your app since they don't know you, worst case they say I have no idea why this person asked for a letter I have no idea who this person is and it destroys your app. A negative LOR is the one thing ADCOM has told me can destroy an app as soon as they pick it up. It really doesn't do any benefit if you do not actually spend time with them as a patient or shadowing.
Well, she specializes in OMM and I have a hella tight back and neck. So I may go see her sometime soon.

In no way will not have a DO LOR hurt you, as long as you're not applying to WVSOM which requires one. Your stats are definitely fine for a bunch of DO schools. You applied just last month - wait for them to get through the pile they already have before freaking out. I guarantee you will get more before the end of the year is up. The fact that you've gotten 1 invite already after only being complete in September is a good sign. People with more interview invites applied when the cycle opened. Just be aware, rolling admission is a real thing at most schools (first come, first serve). Your stats should get you a thorough look though. A lot of people get in even interviewing later in the cycle towards the truffle shuffle in the end.

what is considered “MD-caliber stat people?”

The interview cycle runs all the way to even April and May for schools, keep your chin up, you got this!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I opened my email this morning and found a PCOM interview invite! I'm hella hype because that was one of my top choices! :banana:

Reactions: 3 users