"should i stay or should i go"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimsonorbust

doctor love
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
not sure what i should do...i'm on track to finish all of the pre reqs at my school to finish my degree in 2 years, as well as the pre reqs to enter med school.

i feel that i will have gotten everything "i need" from the college experience.

i also am very mature for my age and feel that i am ready to enter med school.

could you take a look at my mdapps and see? am i shooting too high with my school selection?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your application looks good. I'd also apply to more Texas schools since they heavily favor residents there. Good luck :luck:

If you don't feel that you'll get anything else out of college then by all means graduate. That said, college is a fantastic experience and not something that should necessarily be rushed through.

Your application looks good. I'd also apply to more Texas schools since they heavily favor residents there. Good luck :luck:

If you don't feel that you'll get anything else out of college then by all means graduate. That said, college is a fantastic experience and not something that should necessarily be rushed through.

Yeah, I agree with this, I would add more Texas schools as safeties.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay, if you mean that you hope to be graduated with two years total. Many schools have a minimum of three years in undergrad before they will accept you. Use that time to develop yourself outside of academics as well. Your application is sound on the numbers end, but there is nothing showing on there that makes you uniquely attractive. Low age isn't an attracting factor.

You have only top name recognition schools on your list. Explore what others have to offer and considering adding some of them which you would attend if accepted.

Congratulations on doing so well academically!

I know your MDApps says you've omitted some of your ECs, but that's an extremely important piece of your application and one of the reasons to NOT apply after finishing a degree in 2 yrs.

Just make sure that you've had the opportunity to augment your experiences prior to applying. If there's one thing that stood out in my mind this cycle, it is the increasingly competitive ECs of incoming medical students.

Good luck!

:bow:Wow, congrats on an impressive MCAT and great GPA! I have to say, I'm jealous. That being said, some schools require that you are at least 21 when you matriculate and that you have at least 3 years undergrad. Something to look into.

On another note, I have to say that what I took away from 4 years of undergrad had very little to do with academics, but I made great friends and memories during that time. I studies a lot, but also had a TON of fun (probably hurt my GPA sometimes, but it was worth it in the end). I did the full four years of college, and now that I'm taking a year off btwn undergrad and med school, I wish I were still there! Just a thought... Good luck with your decision! :luck:

thanks for all the advice...i'll definitely take it into consideration :)

Wow. Can I ask how you managed to finish your undergrad in 2 years, get 500+ hours of clinical experience, get published, maintain a 3.90 GPA and a 41 MCAT?

Sounds like a superstar... :cool:

I think HumidBeing was right about the three years in undergrad as a requirement for a lot of schools. Also, a lot of med schools require upper div. sciences, like Biochem and genetics. Do you have any humanities or social sciences?

Life experience might be useful, as well. Looking at the website for your program, it looks like you might want to take a few deep breaths before charging headfirst into med school. You've been in an intense program for the last few years, maybe you need to relax a little.

Are you planning on going into research? (MSTP?) If so, I think you might be a good candidate. If you plan on working with patients - well, it's nice for patients if they can relate to their doctor. Do something "relatable", like travel or scuba dive or something other than school and the ECs you "need" for med school. What do you do for fun?

Hm.... well.....uh.... :eek: Speechless?

Your 18 years old?
You took 105 credit hours in 2 years?
...while getting a 41 on the MCAT?
...and volunteering 500+ hrs. in a hospital?
Okay, I'm not saying this is impossible, but.... Are you sure you're for real? I have a hard time believing that you're not a fake. :rolleyes: I remember reading a thread a bit ago. It was something about people on SDN lying about their stats. I think the consensus was that it happens, and I would bet that this is as likely to be your case as any! In other words, I think somebody's lying! :p

But really... congrats if you are indeed legit! :)

EDIT: Ope, and let's not forget your research and getting published!

Wow. Can I ask how you managed to finish your undergrad in 2 years, get 500+ hours of clinical experience, get published, maintain a 3.90 GPA and a 41 MCAT?

Sounds like a superstar... :cool:

I think HumidBeing was right about the three years in undergrad as a requirement for a lot of schools. Also, a lot of med schools require upper div. sciences, like Biochem and genetics. Do you have any humanities or social sciences?

Life experience might be useful, as well. Looking at the website for your program, it looks like you might want to take a few deep breaths before charging headfirst into med school. You've been in an intense program for the last few years, maybe you need to relax a little.

Are you planning on going into research? (MSTP?) If so, I think you might be a good candidate. If you plan on working with patients - well, it's nice for patients if they can relate to their doctor. Do something "relatable", like travel or scuba dive or something other than school and the ECs you "need" for med school. What do you do for fun?

haha...superstar...i wish..lol
idk how i did it, i had no intention of finishing so early, but i started to work really hard and the next thing i knew i was almost done! lol

you make a lot of helpful points...thanks

regarding the 3 years...yeah i think i need to look into that more but i tried to catch things like that which would make me ineligible, and i think that the schools i have listed should be okay...

i don't think i am particularly interested in a career with a major component being research, but i am really interested in the cleveland clinic program.

i think you have a good point with the "relatable" factor... i play a lot of golf (not really competitive, more just for fun), and enjoy playing poker (not for money, of course ;) ). i have been playing piano for a while, and play football and basketball a lot (although with very little success, lol)

thanks for the advice

also, do you think i am competitive at some of the more selective schools such as harvard, hopkins, yale, etc.

Hm.... well.....uh.... :eek: Speechless?

Your 18 years old?
You took 105 credit hours in 2 years?
...while getting a 41 on the MCAT?
...and volunteering 500+ hrs. in a hospital?
Okay, I'm not saying this is impossible, but.... Are you sure you're for real? I have a hard time believing that you're not a fake. :rolleyes: I remember reading a thread a bit ago. It was something about people on SDN lying about their stats. I think the consensus was that it happens, and I would bet that this is as likely to be your case as any! In other words, I think somebody's lying! :p

But really... congrats if you are indeed legit! :)

EDIT: Ope, and let's not forget your research and getting published!

lol i assure you i'm for real... i can see where ur coming from though,

i've been a lurker for a while now and have gotten pretty annoyed with all the trolls and fakes with unreal profiles (and somehow i'm always the one to believe that they ARE for real lol)

its not like i'm anywhere near perfect, i've still got that 3.8 bcpm....wish i could take back that first semester lol

After interacting with my classmates I would say that your age and maturity really have no correlation. That said, I would take 3 years of undergrad and boost your ECs/research and then you will have a much better chance at not only admissions, but also merti scholarships.

Again congrats on your numbers, and I think you will do well wherever you go. But medical school is tough from Day 1, so taking an extra year of undergrad might be good psychologically to help you stay focused, because everything you accomplished in undergrad is irrelevant once you get to the next stage.

Enjoy life before med school - it's not a race. Just make sure your MCAT scores will stay current (I think they last 3 years @ most schools?) and take your time. You will deeply regret not enjoying some of the greatest years of your life before you committ to a time consuming profession.

lol i assure you i'm for real... i can see where ur coming from though,

i've been a lurker for a while now and have gotten pretty annoyed with all the trolls and fakes with unreal profiles (and somehow i'm always the one to believe that they ARE for real lol)

its not like i'm anywhere near perfect, i've still got that 3.8 bcpm....wish i could take back that first semester lol

Okay, I believe you! :) Question, though... If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for the MCAT? I mean, it's not time for me to start yet, but I just don't understand how I am going to be studying for the MCAT while completing a rigorous science-loaded schedule, extensive volunteer work, etc... :confused: Did you take a course or just study on your own? I mean, really, any tips?

Okay, I believe you! :) Question, though... If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for the MCAT? I mean, it's not time for me to start yet, but I just don't understand how I am going to be studying for the MCAT while completing a rigorous science-loaded schedule, extensive volunteer work, etc... :confused: Did you take a course or just study on your own? I mean, really, any tips?

i just went the study by myself route...you know, review books, flashcards, online ?'s, etc.

i was planning on taking it more than once and taking classes based on how i did (i was expecting low to mid 30s based on what people were telling me) but then i got my scores and was obviously content...i'm also pretty good with standardized testing, so that also prob. played a role lol.

i think you have a good point with the "relatable" factor... i play a lot of golf (not really competitive, more just for fun), and enjoy playing poker (not for money, of course ;) ). i have been playing piano for a while, and play football and basketball a lot (although with very little success, lol)

also, do you think i am competitive at some of the more selective schools such as harvard, hopkins, yale, etc.

First part: Have you ever had a job? Like part time or anything? It's much different than volunteering and I would suggest trying it out. Not for the money, but the experience. Working at 24 Fitness or Subway or whatever will give you a little more insight into what your patients live day in and day out. I think having a job where no one cared what my GPA was or what I wanted to be "when I grow up" kinda leveled my head a little and made me a better person. Just an idea.

Second: Yes. I would strongly suggest making yourself a "real person" on your application though, and have something interesting to discuss (traveling, unique experiences and such) in your PS and interviews. I've never been on an adcom, but I know that if I saw your stats and your age, I'd assume you were more or less an academic shell of a person. Don't get me wrong, there are boring (no offense!) people with incredible stats in medical school, but I think what they would be looking for when they invite you for interview is to see that you're a real, mature young man with enough real world experience to know this is what you want to do with the rest of your life. Like someone else said, this is not a race. This is not a contest. The application is a contest, but once you have your golden ticket to med school in your hand, all bets are off. Your GPA and your MCAT score won't save you, and you have to deal with real patients and connect with them to build a relationship based on trust. That's what this is all about. The numbers game of the admissions process is often blocking the view of the profound and meaningful impact you will have on patients' lives in the future. Don't think of this as a contest. Remember that it's your heart and your desire to help people that should guide you, not your desire to get into a top-ten and prove yourself. Honestly, why does it matter so much?

First part: Have you ever had a job? Like part time or anything? It's much different than volunteering and I would suggest trying it out. Not for the money, but the experience. Working at 24 Fitness or Subway or whatever will give you a little more insight into what your patients live day in and day out. I think having a job where no one cared what my GPA was or what I wanted to be "when I grow up" kinda leveled my head a little and made me a better person. Just an idea.

Second: Yes. I would strongly suggest making yourself a "real person" on your application though, and have something interesting to discuss (traveling, unique experiences and such) in your PS and interviews. I've never been on an adcom, but I know that if I saw your stats and your age, I'd assume you were more or less an academic shell of a person. Don't get me wrong, there are boring (no offense!) people with incredible stats in medical school, but I think what they would be looking for when they invite you for interview is to see that you're a real, mature young man with enough real world experience to know this is what you want to do with the rest of your life. Like someone else said, this is not a race. This is not a contest. The application is a contest, but once you have your golden ticket to med school in your hand, all bets are off. Your GPA and your MCAT score won't save you, and you have to deal with real patients and connect with them to build a relationship based on trust. That's what this is all about. The numbers game of the admissions process is often blocking the view of the profound and meaningful impact you will have on patients' lives in the future. Don't think of this as a contest. Remember that it's your heart and your desire to help people that should guide you, not your desire to get into a top-ten and prove yourself. Honestly, why does it matter so much?

thanks for the advice, i'll def. take it to heart.