Should I stay single 'til I'm practicing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JID

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiance and I split up in December, so I've decided to go back to school since my dream has always been to practice emergency medicine. I've got a long road ahead of me (only 15 credits under my belt). At 26, should I put off relationships and focus on my studies until I begin practicing? The thought of putting off a family until I'm 38 is a bit daunting, so I'm wondering if anyone has been in my position or has any advice.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there:

Don't get discouraged. I had a painful breakup too, someone I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with. Don't worry, don't go seeking it, and if the right person comes along I bet they'll understand.

Personally I am enjoying being single. There's so much more study time, I don't have toworry about possible oops pregnancy because it does happen. All I have to worry about is me, my awesome roommates, gettin to class on time, taking tests, getting in ECs and Volunteering. It's all gabout how you take it.

I say this go for your dream while you have the chance, and don't let anyone stop you. I know plenty of people whom have waited to have children.

I am 29 at the moment, I am divorced, and I am determined for once to put myself first and not someone else or a relationship. Don't force the relationship thing. You still have LOTS of time. I am enjoying taking care of myself and forming strong friendships that ill hopefully last a long time.

I can say nothing that will make your painful situtaion feel better, time will heal is BS I get days where every once and a whi I think about the ex, but then I remember that if anyone is going to be happy with me, I've got to first be happy with myself. Hence I am working at becoming a Doctor, what I've wanted to do forever.

My advice is don't seek it out, just wait and take all the energy you throw into a relationship and throw it into your studies. You'll find the small joys and accomplishments wonderul, and soul/spirit feeding.
A

Thanks, Andrea. I couldn't have hoped for a better reply. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also vote for staying flexible. Don't try to force anything, either not dating or dating. If it happens it happens, if not it doesn't. Things tend to work best that way :)

I'm a med student, and I am married, and I wouldn't change that for anything. I don't think one is better than the other. I'm also planning on having a baby in medical school. Maybe even twice! I don't think life has to stop just because you picked this path. In fact, it shouldn't. This is a long path!

There are a whole bunch of people that balance families and medicine. Mommd.com is a great website full of them.

I also don't think you can predict the next twelve years of your life, either. So don't worry about it! Just focus on getting good grades, and life will happen. If you meet the right guy - marry him. If you want a baby, have one. :)

Agreed no forcing it either way. glamqueen so glad it's going good for you!

Just go with the flow good grades, and focus on what you want, and how to get there effectively.

I like single right now, so my vision may be slightly skewed ;)

A

My fiance and I split up in December, so I've decided to go back to school since my dream has always been to practice emergency medicine. I've got a long road ahead of me (only 15 credits under my belt). At 26, should I put off relationships and focus on my studies until I begin practicing? The thought of putting off a family until I'm 38 is a bit daunting, so I'm wondering if anyone has been in my position or has any advice.

Thanks.

You can speed it up a year by taking summer courses to complete your pre-reqs. =]