Should I stay with CVS or take the offer at Publix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cangri One

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I originally applied to publix I thought it was a no brainer if they gave me an opportunity. But I am having a very difficult time with this decision. I have only been with CVS since May and recently got my license in August and a couple weeks ago was promoted to PIC. It is hell I never have enough time to get anything done and I always seem to be in the red. My supervisor is strict but she has never been disrespectful to me. I just had an interview with Publix and they offered me a full time floater position. But I will be making 6 dollars an hour less and I have to shave which I really really do not want to. Being able to get more days off with their schedule is definitely a plus for me and having seven holidays off is as well. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

When I originally applied to publix I thought it was a no brainer if they gave me an opportunity. But I am having a very difficult time with this decision. I have only been with CVS since May and recently got my license in August and a couple weeks ago was promoted to PIC. It is hell I never have enough time to get anything done and I always seem to be in the red. My supervisor is strict but she has never been disrespectful to me. I just had an interview with Publix and they offered me a full time floater position. But I will be making 6 dollars an hour less and I have to shave which I really really do not want to. Being able to get more days off with their schedule is definitely a plus for me and having seven holidays off is as well. What should I do?

This is a no brainer. I would take the position

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to take the floater position, sounds like you need to get into a groove first before taking on the rxm position. $6 less will be worth it to get comfortable.

I'm afraid I can't help you with making your decision, but if you don't mind me asking you a question here, can I ask how much vacation time you were getting per year with CVS, as compared to what Publix has offered you? Thanks and good luck with making your decision...

Literally, you have to shave to work for Publix?

as a floater for Publix, i would think u have to drive 1-2 hours to get to work. that may not be very ideal.

You admit you're not happy at CVS....so why stay? CVS won't get better. Go to public, try that out and keeps your applications open with other places. Try getting some per dime work at a hospital.....keep updating with Costco and Sam's club.

This isn't a life long decision. Try Publix.

Reactions: 1 users
$6/hr paycut is nothing. $12,480 after 35% taxes is a little over $8,000. You can make that money back by working 1 extra shift a month at CVS for 12 months. Take the Publix job, it's a no brainer, and stay part-time/per-diem with CVS and just have your scheduler put you on once a month. That way you don't burn bridges or break ties with CVS, can come back anytime you want, and you have a better job at Publix. You don't tell anyone at CVS you work at Publix.

Is Publix going the military route and making all of their pharmacists come in with skinheads?

$6/hr paycut is nothing. $12,480 after 35% taxes is a little over $8,000. You can make that money back by working 1 extra shift a month at CVS for 12 months. Take the Publix job, it's a no brainer, and stay part-time/per-diem with CVS and just have your scheduler put you on once a month. That way you don't burn bridges or break ties with CVS, can come back anytime you want, and you have a better job at Publix. You don't tell anyone at CVS you work at Publix.

To be fair, it is not only the cut in salary. There will also be cut in other areas that are tied to your salary like 401 k matching, bonuses. Remember you only have to pay the 6.2% social security tax for the first 119 k.

Last edited:
"I had an offer for Publix but they said I have to shave so I stayed at CVS." said no one ever in the history of pharmacy. You know what you need to do.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am going to go with Publix. Yes, CVS has a better 401k but there is no future for me with CVS. I cannot see myself lasting there more than a year anyways. Might as well cut the cord now. My sup is going to kill me. No idea how I am going to tell her :unsure:

I think I am going to go with Publix. Yes, CVS has a better 401k but there is no future for me with CVS. I cannot see myself lasting there more than a year anyways. Might as well cut the cord now. My sup is going to kill me. No idea how I am going to tell her :unsure:
No worries... There is always someone with $250k loan willing to do the job, nowadays they got stacks of applications to go thru.

I am sure you won't have to float for too long. You were proly a good pharmacist and got promoted at CVS, i am sure you will make staff/manager at your new job eventually.

Trust me, she's heard it before.

I've never heard of a pharmacy that dictates hair management. But let me guess they let the girls there look as chubby and frumpy as they want.

Publix for sure. The salary difference is probably mostly the difference between PIC and non-PIC positions. Being under the gun for metrics as PIC vs little responsibility of floating is great as well.

I've never heard of a pharmacy that dictates hair management. But let me guess they let the girls there look as chubby and frumpy as they want.

Dress code/facial hair policy is more conservative than the other chains (not like that should be a huge issue to begin with). The extent to how much that's enforced is, from what I've seen, up to the pharmacy manager and store/assistant store managers.

Dress code/facial hair policy is more conservative than the other chains (not like that should be a huge issue to begin with). The extent to how much that's enforced is, from what I've seen, up to the pharmacy manager and store/assistant store managers.

From what I've read online, they either send you home or make you buy shaving gear.

Is this a general policy for all Publix employees or just pharmacists? I swear I've seen guys with beards stocking shelves, but maybe I'm mistaken.

What do you guys recommend me saying as my reasoning for leaving CVS?

Last edited:
From what I've read online, they either send you home or make you buy shaving gear.

That actually happened to one of my friends on his IPPE. He didn't shave for a couple of days and was told to either go home or buy a razor and shave. However, I think it depends on how strict your managers are. I've come into work a couple of times with a 5 o'clock shadow and the current managers (both pharmacy and store) don't bat an eyelash. The previous store and assistant store managers told me once to make sure that I shave, but they never sent me home because of it.

Is this a general policy for all Publix employees or just pharmacists? I swear I've seen guys with beards stocking shelves, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I'm pretty sure it's general policy for all Publix employees. At least at my store, I have yet to even see anyone with a mustache or any facial hair for the matter.

That actually happened to one of my friends on his IPPE. He didn't shave for a couple of days and was told to either go home or buy a razor and shave. However, I think it depends on how strict your managers are. I've come into work a couple of times with a 5 o'clock shadow and the current managers (both pharmacy and store) don't bat an eyelash. The previous store and assistant store managers told me once to make sure that I shave, but they never sent me home because of it.

I'm pretty sure it's general policy for all Publix employees. At least at my store, I have yet to even see anyone with a mustache or any facial hair for the matter.

LOL, 5 o clock shadow.

I have one of these going.

tumblr_ms7l3dTC7h1r76fibo1_1280.jpg

careful when they put you in "floater status" Plan on staying overnight in motels and driving up to 2 hours each way! You will be hostage to your scheduler and cant say no more than once or you will be put in permanent floater status position. Wish you luck, been there and done that.

careful when they put you in "floater status" Plan on staying overnight in motels and driving up to 2 hours each way! You will be hostage to your scheduler and cant say no more than once or you will be put in permanent floater status position. Wish you luck, been there and done that.
Also make sure of your status (PT,FT) they give priority for hours to NEW grads. -too many pharmacists want full time . Some never get a store only empty promises and stay in floater hell.

I know someone who recently moved to ATL and has been a floater since they started working at Publix around 6 months ago. When I talked to them, they had only been offered TWO shifts in the last 10 days, and they were required to drive 2 hrs each way to work both of them. They offered to pay for them to stay in a hotel, but it was at the most ghetto one on TripAdvisor.

I know someone who recently moved to ATL and has been a floater since they started working at Publix around 6 months ago. When I talked to them, they had only been offered TWO shifts in the last 10 days, and they were required to drive 2 hrs each way to work both of them. They offered to pay for them to stay in a hotel, but it was at the most ghetto one on TripAdvisor.
Something i learned was that some stores had great help-very nice to me- ,other stores hated "floaters" think they are deadbeats and treated as such. I would NEVER be a floater again. You go to strange stores, dont know customers, techs, and if a tech was told to leave early by the PIC, you are then left with running entire dept by yourself!