Jul 31, 2016
Hi everyone,
I would really appreciate some critical advice! This could really save me!
My mom passed away my second term of college and I failed three classes, which included Chem, calc, and writing 121.
My first term was a 4.0 and after that I also became my brothers legal guardian and started working over 50 hours a week. I retook chem and failed again due to a deep depression I was in, but eventually got an A in it. I retook the rest and got A's as well. From then on out I have gotten a 4.0 in all my pre recs( except I haven't taken A&P which I will take next term) while having two jobs and a kid to take care of.
My dream is to be a physician and I honestly can't see myself doing anything else, but I don't want to waste my money and hopes on applications if I have no chance of getting in.
Also, I am a pharm tech, a CNA, and a research assistant as well.
I also got a 41 on the MCAT.
Should I give it a shot, or take the PCAT and try pharmacy? I have a family friend who said I can probably get into pharmacy school.
Please give me genuine advice. I don't care if it's not pretty.
Thanks.

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ice Coast
What's your cGPA now? You have a great story and a magnificent MCAT so no, you're not dead in the water. Also keep in mind DO schools practice grade replacement, so the Fs you retook and got As in won't kill your app.

Reactions: Crayola227

raf1ki

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I think even with those F's you should be competitive at some medical schools. The worst your GPA could be is what, 3.2? Under the circumstances, I think your grades are forgivable.

OP
H
Jul 31, 2016
What's your cGPA now? You have a great story and a magnificent MCAT so no, you're not dead in the water. Also keep in mind DO schools practice grade replacement, so the Fs you retook and got As in won't kill your app.
I have a 3.8 GPA, but my school replaces F's with A's, so not sure how it would look on my app.

raf1ki

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2016
Status
You will need to recalculate it. How many credits do you have total? (4.0 * 120) + (0.0 * 9) /129 = 3.7, which is still very good. That's assuming you can maintain a 4.0 until you graduate. Even if you can't, I don't think you would be as bad off as you think. Good job making the best of your situation. Make sure you take care of yourself!

OP
H
Jul 31, 2016
Recalculated I have a 3.5!
And I took 22 creds a term last year so I only need to take A&P , a PE class and university inquiry.

raf1ki

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2016
Status
I can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. You took 22 credits per term and worked 50 hours a week as a CNA/research assistant in addition to caring for your brother? In any case, you are fine...

OP
H
Jul 31, 2016
I can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. You took 22 credits per term and worked 50 hours a week as a CNA/research assistant in addition to caring for your brother? In any case, you are fine...
I obviously cut down hours for those terms.