Should I take 6 Credit Geological Science Class over Summer??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awara No. 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
You guys have been really helpful for me time and time. As I am preparing to apply for 2006 here is somethings I need to do. I am taking 8 credits over the 1st half of the summer and have Biochem II and 2 Credits upper level research class. If I do well and I think I will my GPA will go up. My only option to take science class in 2nd half of the summer is 6 credit Geological Science Class offered at my University. I heard class requires a lots of work but you can get decent grade by working hard and I am willing to do that. Do guys think I should take to Improve my GPA. It is a 100 level class and I am senior??? Will it look bad???My GPA is currently at 2.95(first 24 credits 2.05, changed major to chemistry last 37 credits 3.6) at University. but with improved grade over the summer it can come up to 3.15 and over all of 3.4(including Community college). My DAT( AA 21 TS 22, PAT 15) is great I think and have no desire to take it again anymore. So guys thiink I should take that class. Or will it look like that I am taking unnecessary classes to just improve my GPA and adcoms won't like it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would aim for classes you will, without a doubt, receive an A in. But the issue is that these classes are 100-level, which I am not sure how favorably ADCOM's will look at this as you are only enrolled in these courses to boost your GPA. But then again, what the hell do I know. I would say go for it, but do try to take at least 200-level courses, preferably 300-level. Ever think about math courses? Good luck.

Awara No. 1 said:
Hi Guys,
You guys have been really helpful for me time and time. As I am preparing to apply for 2006 here is somethings I need to do. I am taking 8 credits over the 1st half of the summer and have Biochem II and 2 Credits upper level research class. If I do well and I think I will my GPA will go up. My only option to take science class in 2nd half of the summer is 6 credit Geological Science Class offered at my University. I heard class requires a lots of work but you can get decent grade by working hard and I am willing to do that. Do guys think I should take to Improve my GPA. It is a 100 level class and I am senior??? Will it look bad???My GPA is currently at 2.95(first 24 credits 2.05, changed major to chemistry last 37 credits 3.6) at University. but with improved grade over the summer it can come up to 3.15 and over all of 3.4(including Community college). My DAT( AA 21 TS 22, PAT 15) is great I think and have no desire to take it again anymore. So guys thiink I should take that class. Or will it look like that I am taking unnecessary classes to just improve my GPA and adcoms won't like it. Thanks

definitely do it. If you do well, you will go beyond the 3.0 threshold. Some schools have a cut off line of 3.0, meaning you don't even get considered below this point. Dont worry about looking bad taking a 100 level course in your senior year. Many people went back to the 100 level after receiving a Masters degree. Also don't worry about looking shading in trying to boost your GPA. You think out of some 2000 applicants they look at, they will even notice it??? I don't think so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awara No. 1 said:
Hi Guys,

If you can get an A to boost your Science GPA in that class then go for it. It really doesn't matter to adcoms. They look at your GPAs first. Your application will look something like this:
First Name:
Last Name:
SSN:
Undergrad School:
DAT Scores:
Total GPA:
Science GPA:
Interview Rank:
First yr GPA:
Second yr GPA:
Third yr GPA:
Fourth yr GPA:

Thank you all for reply. I think I am going to take that class. That class is like 30 hours a week for 6 Credits over the summer but it is half outdoor and weather is nice outsie during that time!!!. Now another question?? If I do take that class, grade will appear in my transcript in July. I have everything ready for application but just trying to get my summer grades in. Will it be late to apply on july 24th. I can probably do it the same day the grades show up in my transcript. Thanks